New Nexus 7 with xc soar.

Old July 25th 12, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glider12321

Default New Nexus 7 with xc soar.

Any thoughts? Will the screen hold up in sunlight? It has GPS,
accelerometer and a gyro. Is the 16 GB enough?

Thanks,
Peter
Old July 25th 12, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

On 7/25/2012 12:34 PM, glider12321 wrote:
Will the screen hold up in sunlight?

In sunlight, mine has about the same visibility as my Ipad. (faint
praise indeed) I haven't explored changing screen settings. In
general, I'm delighted with my Nexus7, but something with a
sunlight-readable screen might do better as a glider computer.

Vaughn

Old July 25th 12, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:34:18 AM UTC-5, glider12321 wrote:
Any thoughts? Will the screen hold up in sunlight? It has GPS,
accelerometer and a gyro. Is the 16 GB enough?

Thanks,
Peter

There is one great app called IXGYRO .. which is a good test for build in gyros , accel sensors and magmetic comp sensor .. along with the gps of course ...

Could you check if this app would work .. as I found to my dismay that it works ONLY on the better equipped tablets .. (unfortunately not my galaxy ") ...

This would strictly contribute to the XCSOAR stability on such device ..
As of sunlight readability ... custom build shade would do just fine, I have a perm one, some 3" deep enclosing tablet permanently set on the panel ..
KC
Old July 25th 12, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 10:59:23 AM UTC-7, Vaughn wrote:
On 7/25/2012 12:34 PM, glider12321 wrote:
>Will the screen hold up in sunlight?
In sunlight, mine has about the same visibility as my Ipad. (faint
praise indeed) I haven't explored changing screen settings. In
general, I'm delighted with my Nexus7, but something with a
sunlight-readable screen might do better as a glider computer.

Vaughn

Vaughn, you already have one? Wow. That answers my question whether Asus would deliver as they had troubles with the Transmformer Prime. The display brightness is ~400nits which is supposed to be decent for sunlight(same as my phone). Its not quite as bright as other more expensive Asus tablets which have a special mode that kicks it up to 600 or so, but should be a bit better than the iPAD. Perhaps a matte screen cover will help with reflections?

The following website does a display comparison between different tablets vs iPAD.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6036/a...f700t-review/2
Old July 28th 12, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:34:18 AM UTC-7, glider12321 wrote:
Any thoughts? Will the screen hold up in sunlight? It has GPS,

accelerometer and a gyro. Is the 16 GB enough?

Thanks,

Peter

Has anyone actually got XCSoar to work on the Nexus 7? I've got the App/program and directly imported both map and airspace files, but since they're not on an SD card i cant figure out how to get the program to see/recognize/find them.
Any help appreciated.
Thx
Old July 28th 12, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You just need to put your map, turnpoint and airspace files in the XCSoar folder, which should be in /sdcard root. You may need to download and install a file manager prgram like ES File Explorer to move files around on your device. Or, hook up to your PC with a USB cable and use your PC to move the files around.

Old July 28th 12, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 27, 2012 4:52:18 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
You just need to put your map, turnpoint and airspace files in the XCSoar folder, which should be in /sdcard root. You may need to download and install a file manager prgram like ES File Explorer to move files around on your device. Or, hook up to your PC with a USB cable and use your PC to move the files around.

Has anyone actually got XCSoar to work on the Nexus 7? I've got the App/program and directly imported both map and airspace files, but since they're not on an SD card i cant figure out how to get the program to see/recognize/find them.

Any help appreciated.

Thx

Had to load ES file explorer on the tablet because there was no file folder for XCSoar (when connected to computer via USB), but once loaded the folder appeared and i could just use the ES program on the tablet also. Looks like it works - try it in the air this weekend. Much thanks.

XC Soar map help needed Ken Latam Soaring 32 June 18th 11 12:36 PM
Fat boy wants to soar... toggles mcfarley Soaring 24 March 23rd 10 06:51 PM
XC-Soar [email protected] Soaring 4 January 26th 09 04:06 PM
Nexus program of any use flying? Paul kgyy Piloting 3 September 9th 08 06:47 PM
why do you soar? Mark James Boyd Soaring 27 October 21st 03 07:48 PM