New Nexus 7 with xc soar.

Old December 16th 12, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default New Nexus 7 with xc soar.

I have XCSoar on a Nexus 7 talking to Condor over Bluetooth with terrain maps.
(I muddled through this and forgot half the steps, so I can't provide step by step directions.)

I was feeling pretty good about this progress, but then I got stuck.

Using a program I found on Condor user site, I converted Frank Paynter's demo Condor Flight plans .fpl to .tsk files (the ones from his cross-country Condor book), but the .tsk files do not load to XCSoar on the PC or Android version. I suspect that the conversion program did the wrong thing.

Old December 16th 12, 09:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tobias Bieniek

what program was it? can you provide such a tsk file so we could have a look at whats wrong?
Old December 16th 12, 02:17 PM
Lucky812 Lucky812 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Bieniek View Post
what program was it? can you provide such a tsk file so we could have a look at whats wrong?
Condor2nav converts files for use in XCSoar or LK8000

http://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/co...fdffecae 8b5f
Old December 16th 12, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Friday, August 31, 2012 12:09:09 AM UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:34:18 PM UTC-4, glider12321 wrote:

Any thoughts? Will the screen hold up in sunlight? It has GPS,

accelerometer and a gyro. Is the 16 GB enough?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi

Is the sreen better/worst than a Oudie?

S6

Any update on how well the Nexus 7 works with XC Soar? Screen in sunlight compared with original Oudie, or Oudie 2? Internal GPS - is it good enough, does it give good wind calculations? Will it be able to upload igc files from a PNA via Bluetooth?
Old December 16th 12, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tobias Bieniek

Any update on how well the Nexus 7 works with XC Soar?

The tablet is damn fast and works very well with XCSoar. The terrain maps in the background have a quite good resolution and it just looks pretty good on such a high-res screen.

Screen in sunlight compared with original Oudie, or Oudie 2?

Unfortunately I haven't had enough sunlight yet to be able to comment on that. I suspect it to be somewhere between the two Oudie versions.

Internal GPS - is it good enough, does it give good wind calculations?

Haven't used it in flight yet, so I can't comment on this either. I usually use my devices in connection with a Flarm via IOIO though, so this won't be relevant for me.

Will it be able to upload igc files from a PNA via Bluetooth?

Not sure what you mean? If you have any kind of internet connection on the tablet you can upload the IGC files pretty much anywhere you want. If you choose the version with the mobile data antenna, you can even use live tracking via SkyLines for example.
Old December 16th 12, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:54:53 PM UTC, Tobias Bieniek wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that info. It sounds very good. What I meant by the Bluetooth question - I should probably have said download, not upload. I want to be able to extract igc files from an approved logger, which will be connected to a GliderGuider PNA. Would I be able to use Bluetooth to transfer files into the Nexus from the PNA?
Old December 16th 12, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tobias Bieniek

Thanks for that info. It sounds very good. What I meant by the Bluetooth question - I should probably have said download, not upload. I want to be able to extract igc files from an approved logger, which will be connected to a GliderGuider PNA. Would I be able to use Bluetooth to transfer files into the Nexus from the PNA?

I don't know, to be honest... It could work but I won't promise anything

Why don't you just connect the logger to the Nexus 7?
Old December 17th 12, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

If it's any help, I transfer igc files via Bluetooth from my CAI-302 to my
Streak running XCSoar.

Old December 17th 12, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 6:01:57 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
If it's any help, I transfer igc files via Bluetooth from my CAI-302 to my

Streak running XCSoar.

"Tobias Bieniek" wrote in message

Thanks for that info. It sounds very good. What I meant by the Bluetooth

question - I should probably have said download, not upload. I want to be

able to extract igc files from an approved logger, which will be connected

to a GliderGuider PNA. Would I be able to use Bluetooth to transfer files

into the Nexus from the PNA?

I don't know, to be honest... It could work but I won't promise anything

Why don't you just connect the logger to the Nexus 7?

Dan, can you tell us what setup you are using on the 302 side to make it accessible via Bluetooth? I'd be highly interested in avoiding the serial-to-usb device that is normally necessary to communicate with a 302, together with the cables involved.
Herb
Old December 17th 12, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I use a K6BT serial to bluetooth converter. Simply plug it into the serial
port of the 302 and select the K6BT driver in XCSoar with default baud rate.
You also have to pair the devices (just once) - on the Android, select
Bluetooth, scan, select the K6BT and enter the password which comes with the
converter. It was all simple and straight forward and works great.

Another pilot on the airport built a similar device from a kit. The K6BT
was not cheap, but it was worth it to me to get rid of the hassles of
carrying a laptop to get my igc file.

wrote in message
[...]

XC Soar map help needed Ken Latam Soaring 32 June 18th 11 12:36 PM
Fat boy wants to soar... toggles mcfarley Soaring 24 March 23rd 10 06:51 PM
XC-Soar [email protected] Soaring 4 January 26th 09 04:06 PM
Nexus program of any use flying? Paul kgyy Piloting 3 September 9th 08 06:47 PM
why do you soar? Mark James Boyd Soaring 27 October 21st 03 07:48 PM