2013 USA Competition Rules Published

Old March 4th 13, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

Default 2013 USA Competition Rules Published

The US Competition Rules for 2013 have been posted on the Rules and Process page of the SSA website (http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=6310235857).

You can access the rules directly via these links:

National FAI Class http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf

National Sport Class http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf

Regional FAI Class http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf

Regional Sport Class http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf

Thanks to all who provided suggestions during 2012, participated in the opinion poll and provided feedback during comment period.

There are no changes from the summary of changes published earlier.

For the committee,
John Godfrey, Chair
Old March 4th 13, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

"John Godfrey (QT)" wrote:
The US Competition Rules for 2013 have been posted on the Rules and
Process page of the SSA website (http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=6310235857).

You can access the rules directly via these links:

National FAI Class
http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf

National Sport Class
http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf

Regional FAI Class
http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf

Regional Sport Class
http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf

Thanks to all who provided suggestions during 2012, participated in the
opinion poll and provided feedback during comment period.

There are no changes from the summary of changes published earlier.

For the committee,
John Godfrey, Chair

Thanks guys, I do have a newbie question. Is there a good resource for
neophyte racing pilots that explains tasks, start procedures, strategies
etc?

I think that may actually help people get into racing.

Thanks

Pete
Old March 4th 13, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Peter,

Yes. The Sailplane Racing Association's Guide to Soaring Competition is the
best resource I'm aware of.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books/SRA/SRA-Guide.htm

Many other excellent free soaring article downloads are available he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books.htm#Free_Downloads

Also, reading the rules is highly recommended. They are intimidating and
not very exciting, but not so tough to read as they appear at first glance.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
_______________________________

Old March 4th 13, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

"John Godfrey (QT)" wrote:

[...]

The latest version of the competition guide is maintained at ssa.org. Look under Sailplane Racing / Rules and Process, under the heading "Important Reading" :-).

T8
Old March 4th 13, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks guys, I do have a newbie question. Is there a good resource for

neophyte racing pilots that explains tasks, start procedures, strategies

etc?

I think that may actually help people get into racing.

Thanks

Pete

As much as I would hate to dissuade anyone from reading the rules, the rules appendix, and the guide to competition, do know that most contests, especially a sports class regional, will assign you a "mentor" and provide lots of other support for learning the rules and procedures in real time.

John Cochrane
Old March 4th 13, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 4, 2013 11:19:44 AM UTC-5, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Peter, Yes. The Sailplane Racing Association's Guide to Soaring Competition is the best resource I'm aware of. http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books/SRA/SRA-Guide.htm Many other excellent free soaring article downloads are available he http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books.htm#Free_Downloads Also, reading the rules is highly recommended. They are intimidating and not very exciting, but not so tough to read as they appear at first glance. Best Regards, Paul Remde Cumulus Soaring, Inc. _______________________________ "Peter von Tresckow" wrote in message ... "John Godfrey (QT)" wrote: The US Competition Rules for 2013 have been posted on the Rules and Process page of the SSA website (http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=6310235857). You can access the rules directly via these links: National FAI Class http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf National Sport Class http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf Regional FAI Class http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...ss%20Rules.pdf Regional Sport Class http://www.ssa.org/files/member/2013...s%20Rules..pdf Thanks to all who provided suggestions during 2012, participated in the opinion poll and provided feedback during comment period. There are no changes from the summary of changes published earlier. For the committee, John Godfrey, Chair Thanks guys, I do have a newbie question. Is there a good resource for neophyte racing pilots that explains tasks, start procedures, strategies etc? I think that may actually help people get into racing. Thanks Pete

The SRA guide is obsolete. Use current resources on SSA web site.
UH
Old March 5th 13, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback that the link below was to an old version of the
file on the SSA web site. I have updated the link.

Paul Remde

Old March 5th 13, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"John Godfrey (QT)" wrote:

[...]

Charlie Spratt Story: During my very first contest at Uvalde in '90 I sat through the mandatory pilots meeting and when it was time for questions, I asked Charlie: What's a start time interval? When the laughter subsided, he sat there for a while, rolled his eyes, mumbled something about the idiots coming to these meets without having read any rules and assigned someone to me to explain the basics.
In short Pete, just go to a contest and figure it out! At some level we all did that.
Herb, J7
Old March 5th 13, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Yeah, I learned (most of) them the hard way too, Herb (although I did read them several times). But Start Time Interval is a new one to me. I couldn't find it in the 2013 Sports Class National rules either. What is it?

-John, Q3

Old March 5th 13, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 9:31:30 AM UTC-6, John Carlyle wrote:
Yeah, I learned (most of) them the hard way too, Herb (although I did read them several times). But Start Time Interval is a new one to me. I couldn't find it in the 2013 Sports Class National rules either. What is it? -John, Q3 On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 10:16:33 AM UTC-5, wrote: Charlie Spratt Story: During my very first contest at Uvalde in '90 I sat through the mandatory pilots meeting and when it was time for questions, I asked Charlie: What's a start time interval? When the laughter subsided, he sat there for a while, rolled his eyes, mumbled something about the idiots coming to these meets without having read any rules and assigned someone to me to explain the basics. In short Pete, just go to a contest and figure it out! At some level we all did that. Herb, J7

it's a relic, doesn't apply any more. like turnpoint cameras.

Pete i've found that the SSA guide mentioned earlier along with the appendix to the rules is very helpful in trying to figure out the details. I hear that the CD at the low performance contest is going to be a pretty nice guy, happy to help with questions, and good looking too. just get your glider finished, we'll see you in July