Oxygen Tank for Schleicher ASW 27 or 28

Old May 16th 19, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus 44[_2_]

Default Oxygen Tank for Schleicher ASW 27 or 28

I am looking for a replacement Qxygen cylinder for my ASW 28. It is the weird one almost the same size as a "D" bottle but smaller in diameter 4.125 inches and 16.5 inches long. Mine is stamped DOT-3AA2015 REE16.6 Which is the cubic ft capacity.

Old May 17th 19, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 3:21:32 PM UTC-5, Discus 44 wrote:
I am looking for a replacement Qxygen cylinder for my ASW 28. It is the weird one almost the same size as a "D" bottle but smaller in diameter 4.125 inches and 16.5 inches long. Mine is stamped DOT-3AA2015 REE16.6 Which is the cubic ft capacity.

The luxfer M15A (OS415T)advertised here will fit.
https://legacy.life-assist.com/Produ...-Cylinders/929
Old May 17th 19, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've not tried it, but this looks possible.
http://www.cramerdeckermedical.com/p...product_id=429
Old May 17th 19, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 1:21:32 PM UTC-7, Discus 44 wrote:
I am looking for a replacement Qxygen cylinder for my ASW 28. It is the weird one almost the same size as a "D" bottle but smaller in diameter 4.125 inches and 16.5 inches long. Mine is stamped DOT-3AA2015 REE16.6 Which is the cubic ft capacity.

Check with Williams Soaring Center. Rex usually stocks steel tanks that will fit.
Old May 17th 19, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I know this has been covered on RAS n the last 6 months.....do a search.....
Old June 8th 19, 01:08 AM
Todd Laguna Todd Laguna is offline
Junior Member

Location: Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Williams View Post
On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 3:21:32 PM UTC-5, Discus 44 wrote:
I am looking for a replacement Qxygen cylinder for my ASW 28. It is the weird one almost the same size as a "D" bottle but smaller in diameter 4.125 inches and 16.5 inches long. Mine is stamped DOT-3AA2015 REE16.6 Which is the cubic ft capacity.

The luxfer M15A (OS415T)advertised here will fit.
https://legacy.life-assist.com/Produ...-Cylinders/929
Scott, do you have any input on the Luxfer carbon composite cylinders working in aviation use, i.e. gliders? They appear to be medical O2 bottles, but I don't know if that makes a difference. The dimensions of the OS415T, at 4" diameter, just could work in my LS-4. I'm searching for a light-weight bottle.

Best Regards,

Todd
Old June 9th 19, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

http://tinyurl.com/y26ds6e4

--
Todd Laguna

I believe (not claiming divine awareness)General Aviation O2 cylinders used in the U.S. are regulated by the U.S. Department of transportation. if you buy or use a cylinder the responsible authority is D.O.T, I have bought and used these Luxfer cylinders in my glider after passing a hydro test. these luxfer cylinders are amazingly light and have a reasonable capacity. the downside is the 15 year max life. check with your A.I. or A&P (standard or experimental)
I'm holding one in my hand filled to 2200 psi, it weighs 4 lbs 3.9 ounces
Good luck
Old June 9th 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 6:46:31 PM UTC-7, Scott Williams wrote:
[...]

Eastern Sailplane used to always have a stock of )2 cylinders that fit. Have you tried Eastern or Williams?
Old June 9th 19, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, June 9, 2019 at 8:58:01 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Eastern Sailplane used to always have a stock of )2 cylinders that fit. Have you tried Eastern or Williams?

That was many years ago. The steel D and E cylinders are no longer in production.

At the end of 2013 when purchasing a steel D for the 29 from Wings and Wheels, Matt did not have stock and had Aerox get in touch directly. At that time Aerox claimed to have very little demand for the steel D and were selling their last few. 7T may have got the last one.

Perhaps others who have 27s with modified baggage compartments to fit an AL-682 (E), can document them in more detail than I did on the ASW27 newsgroup. An AL-415 (D) would be even easier to fit.
There are at least two 27s with this mod.
With the O2 cylinder in the top of the fuselage behind the air extractor, the factory O2 cylinder area can be lined with a PVC pipe or similar and used for other storage.

Another 29 I get to fly has a composite cylinder in the normal O2 mount. That cylinder is quite small, besides having a short life limit. An instant but more expensive option.
Jim
Old June 10th 19, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Three years ago I did get a brand new steel D from Eastern. The composite cylinder is too small for western flying.

Oxygen Tank Roger Fowler[_3_] Soaring 3 December 9th 12 11:19 PM
Retesting and filling oxygen tank. lynn Soaring 17 May 8th 12 04:41 AM
Saturn V S-IC-T (static test stage) fuel tank assembly is mated to the liquid oxygen (LOX) tank 6416666.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 12th 07 01:33 AM
Saturn I Liquid-Oxygen (LOX) Tank 6000382.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 10th 07 09:59 PM
oxygen tank Lignan Christian Soaring 10 February 9th 06 11:52 PM