Crappy Gliders Rejoice!

Old September 1st 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_1_]

Default Crappy Gliders Rejoice!

Folks,

Just thought Id let you know that me and my trusty Cherokee II went
about 95 NM downwind from Ames, IA today in medium midwest thermal
conditions. Highest altitude was about 5100 MSL. Definitely have got
silver distance in the bag, think I came up a little short on Altitude.
Duration was abou 3:40 minutes. Came up 5 miles short of intended
goal, some high overcast shut down all the lift and I landed out. Fun
had by all, more detailed flight report to come...

Old September 1st 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Tony,

Congratulations on the nice flight.

In my opinion, there are no "crappy" gliders. I'm sure the Cherokee II is a
lot of fun!

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

oups.com...

Old September 1st 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flying_monkey

Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Tony,

Congratulations on the nice flight.

In my opinion, there are no "crappy" gliders. I'm sure the Cherokee II is a
lot of fun!

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde

Tony,

I'll echo what Paul said. Congrats on a great flight. Hope you are
surprised to find that you achieved the Silver Altitude as well.

Back about 1974, I was a fresh Commercial Glider pilot, giving rides
and intro lessons at Calistoga Soaring, and there was a morning that
not much was going on. Two old gentlemen were putting a nice looking
Cherokee II together and having a bit of difficulty with it, so I
volunteered my strong (at that time) back to help. We got it together,
then I got some work to do, and didn't think much about it. Later in
the afternoon during another lull, they came over and asked if I wanted
to fly their glider. I was shocked and amazed that they would ask, but
of course said yes. I had a nice 1/2 hour flight , and found it to fly
a lot like the 1-26 that I had flown. I asked them why they would
offer that opportunity to me, and they said that they had asked Jim
Indrebo, the gliderport operator, about me, and he said it was OK. I
doubt that they are still around to read this, but I certainly have
fond memories of that day. Their names are in my logbook somewhere,
and I hope that the glider is still making people happy.

Speaking of Jim, does anybody have an email address for him or his son
Rick? I'd like to see if I can jog either of their memory enough to
remember me.

Ed

Old September 1st 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tony wrote:
Folks,

Just thought Id let you know that me and my trusty Cherokee II went
about 95 NM downwind from Ames, IA today in medium midwest thermal
conditions. Highest altitude was about 5100 MSL. Definitely have got
silver distance in the bag, think I came up a little short on Altitude.
Duration was abou 3:40 minutes. Came up 5 miles short of intended
goal, some high overcast shut down all the lift and I landed out. Fun
had by all, more detailed flight report to come...

Cool!

Have you posted it on OLC? Please do!

Kirk

Old September 1st 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_1_]

Cool!

Have you posted it on OLC? Please do!

Kirk

Yea, sure, do you have the address so i can email copies of the
barograph trace and landing witness document?

Seriously, paying a kings ransom for a GPS datalogger whizbamgizmo is
about last on my list. I can have fun and fly cross country and get my
satisfaction out of posting flight reports to this and other
newsgroups/forums. Im just happy i remembered to take the barograph
this time. All my past experience has been that Repogle is some other
language for "Lift Killer"

Maybe after I get a Total Energy system installed, get the trailer in
primo condition, recover the glider, and win the lottery, then the OLC
had better watch out!

Old September 1st 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Tony,

If you are interested, with a very modest investment, you can buy an
old Palm 500 with a GPS sleeve for around $150 US (ebay). Add
"Soaringpilot " free soaring/navigation software, and you will have an
excellent very inexpensive soaring based GPS system and can also add
your flights to OLC-if you desire.

Mike

Old September 1st 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_1_]

OLC does not require expensive IGC-approved loggers.

Garmin GPSMAP 76S on eBay, ~$200 or less.

Besides, your club can use the help.

----------------

OLC Ranking: Club, Region 7 [IL, IA, MN, MO (East), ND, SD, WI]

1 126 Association
2 Chicago Glider Club
3 Saint Louis Soaring
4 Minnesota Soaring Club
5 Cross Country Soaring
6 Sylvania Soaring Adventures
7 Kansas Soaring Assoc.
8 Red Wing Soaring Assn.
9 Windy City Soaring Assoc.

----------------

You say you don't have a club? Well then, you can be one.

Jack

----

Old September 2nd 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_1_]

I guess expensive is a relative term. Getting the glider payed off and
everything ready to go cross country drained all the money I made
working this summer, and now im back to school, working part time as a
CFI (so the money is rolling in of course...) I just dont want to deal
with the hassle of all that, even the rigamarole of getting the silver
badge and whatnot drives me nuts. I thought this was supposed to be
for the fun of it. When doing the paperwork to prove the flight is
more work than the actual flight, it seems a little ridiculous for me.
I think Ill just take my digital, snap a few pictures on the way,
picture of where I land out at, and write up a nice flight report. I
prefer this to the concept of having to prove my innocence of not
cheating to get a badge. This is supposed to be about fun right? and
cheap fun at that?

Old September 2nd 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Tony,

First, congratulations on your Silver distance flight. I remember the
anxiety I felt before doing mine, and so I fully appreciate what it
took for you to do the flight.

With regard to your comment about proving "my innocence of not cheating
to get a badge", I look at it another way - it's preparation for what
you'll have to do during a contest. There following the rules will
determine your standing, and I'd much rather learn how to do that
during less stressful badge flying (don't know for sure, though,
because I haven't been in a contest yet).

But you do have the right idea - soaring IS supposed to be about fun!
Sometimes it's hard to remember that during a flight, when you're at
1500 AGL, 40 miles from home, and working a crappy 0.5 kt thermal for
all you're worth to avoid a land out. But I can attest that all I
remember a few days later is that it WAS fun - sort of like how you
only remember the good times in college and forget the tests, the term
papers, and the other hard work (at least that's my experience).

-John

Tony wrote:
I guess expensive is a relative term. Getting the glider payed off and
everything ready to go cross country drained all the money I made
working this summer, and now im back to school, working part time as a
CFI (so the money is rolling in of course...) I just dont want to deal
with the hassle of all that, even the rigamarole of getting the silver
badge and whatnot drives me nuts. I thought this was supposed to be
for the fun of it. When doing the paperwork to prove the flight is
more work than the actual flight, it seems a little ridiculous for me.
I think Ill just take my digital, snap a few pictures on the way,
picture of where I land out at, and write up a nice flight report. I
prefer this to the concept of having to prove my innocence of not
cheating to get a badge. This is supposed to be about fun right? and
cheap fun at that?

Special Airworthiness Cert'd-Exp, Exhib&Racing Gliders Jim Culp Soaring 0 July 30th 06 07:04 AM
Hanger and gliders hit by storm. [email protected] Soaring 6 February 1st 05 01:44 AM
Production rates? Ed Byars Soaring 38 November 24th 04 04:13 PM
Do you like gliders but hate FAA checkrides? Bruce Hoult Soaring 8 August 13th 04 05:14 PM
Underwater Gliders Burt Compton Soaring 6 November 25th 03 04:43 AM