IFR Cancellation Question

Old December 12th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Default IFR Cancellation Question

Mike Adams wrote:

Well since this is my home base, I would terminate flight following and request a frequency change when
about 10 miles from the airport, so I could give the tower a call. That is, if approach hadn't dropped me
before that.

What about the report of the field in sight? Isn't safety compromised
if you terminate flight following before reporting the field in sight?

Old December 12th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

A Lieberma wrote:

This was based on MY eperiences, quite frankly spelled out in another post.

I never said that somebody told me the above.

I must have missed that post. In the message where you declared a
visual approach shuts down an uncontrolled field until the aircraft
cancels IFR you spoke of an unrelated experience when you arrived in
IMC. So what was the experience that led to your erroneous conclusion?

Old December 12th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Mike Adams wrote:

Well since this is my home base, I would terminate flight following
and request a frequency change when about 10 miles from the airport,
so I could give the tower a call. That is, if approach hadn't dropped
me before that.

What about the report of the field in sight? Isn't safety compromised
if you terminate flight following before reporting the field in sight?

How so? I can find the airport without ATC's help.

At this particular airport, radar coverage is pretty crummy, so approach is more likely to terminate me
before the 10 mile point anyway, and visibility is usually not an issue.

Mike
Old December 12th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
ps.com:

A Lieberma wrote:

This was based on MY eperiences, quite frankly spelled out in another
post.

I never said that somebody told me the above.

I must have missed that post. In the message where you declared a
visual approach shuts down an uncontrolled field until the aircraft
cancels IFR you spoke of an unrelated experience when you arrived in
IMC. So what was the experience that led to your erroneous
conclusion?

It was probably my mixing apples with oranges, thinking that the IMC
approaches where I couldn't get a SVFR clearance back to MBO (2 times I
tried this) so I could do a visual approach.

Controller said he was unable because the preceding traffic did not cancel
IFR.

Allen
Old December 12th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

A Lieberma wrote:

It was probably my mixing apples with oranges, thinking that the IMC
approaches where I couldn't get a SVFR clearance back to MBO (2 times I
tried this) so I could do a visual approach.

Controller said he was unable because the preceding traffic did not cancel
IFR.

SVFR to MBO? SVFR isn't available to MBO as MBO lacks a surface area.

Old December 12th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
ps.com:

SVFR to MBO? SVFR isn't available to MBO as MBO lacks a surface area.

I guess I should have requested a contact approach instead, but SVFR came
to my head at the time :-)

Allen
Old December 12th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Milen Lazarov

On 2006-12-12, A Lieberma wrote:
I guess I should have requested a contact approach instead, but SVFR came
to my head at the time :-)

Allen

You need 1 SM reported visibility at the airport. With no controlled airspace
down to the surface, you probably won't have that either, so you won't be
able to get clearance for a contact approach.

-Milen
Old December 13th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

Milen Lazarov wrote in
:

You need 1 SM reported visibility at the airport. With no controlled
airspace down to the surface, you probably won't have that either, so
you won't be able to get clearance for a contact approach.

In both approaches, viz wasn't the problem so much as the 900 foot
ceilings.

Had the viz been bad, it wouldn't have even crossed my mind to request a
SVFR.

Allen

Old December 13th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

A Lieberma wrote:

I guess I should have requested a contact approach instead, but SVFR came
to my head at the time :-)

Where's the advantage in that? You'd still have to wait for the
previous aircraft.

Old December 13th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Milen Lazarov wrote:

You need 1 SM reported visibility at the airport. With no controlled airspace
down to the surface, you probably won't have that either, so you won't be
able to get clearance for a contact approach.

Weather reporting is a requirement for a surface area, but the absence
of a surface area does not mean the absence of weather reporting. MBO
has an AWOS.

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM