IFR Cancellation Question

Old December 13th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Milen Lazarov

Default IFR Cancellation Question

On 2006-12-13, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Weather reporting is a requirement for a surface area, but the absence
of a surface area does not mean the absence of weather reporting. MBO
has an AWOS.

That's why I said 'probably'.

Do all AWOSes report weather to US NWS/ATC?

-Milen
Old December 13th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Milen Lazarov wrote:

Do all AWOSes report weather to US NWS/ATC?

No, all these new Super AWOS's that are sprouting up everywhere are not
reported at all to the system. And from the ones I've seen here you
have to be within 10 miles to even receive the braodcast.
Old December 13th 06, 10:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Milen Lazarov wrote:

That's why I said 'probably'.

Your statement was incorrect.

Do all AWOSes report weather to US NWS/ATC?

Probably.

Old December 13th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Milen Lazarov wrote:

Do all AWOSes report weather to US NWS/ATC?

No.
Old December 18th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Alan Gerber

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Alan Gerber wrote:
I assume the purpose it serves is it tells them when they can terminate
flight following.

They can't terminate flight following if the aircraft hasn't reported
the field in sight?

Well, sure, of course they can. They can terminate it whenever they want.
I had assumed that my sighting the field was the trigger for ending it --
because then I'd be ready to switch to the tower or CTAF.

And if I had any doubt about my ability to find the airport, then I'd
certainly want to keep flight following going until I *did* have the field
in sight.

.... Alan

--
Alan Gerber
PP-ASEL
Old December 18th 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Alan Gerber

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
What if you're just a couple of miles from the field but haven't
reported it in sight?

I'm not sure. I wouldn't want to drop from the frequency without flight
following being terminated. If I didn't report it because I didn't see
it, I'd ask for help finding it. If I didn't report it because I just
dropped from the frequency, what would happen? Would it trigger S&R
procedures?

.... Alan

--
Alan Gerber
PP-ASEL
Old December 18th 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Alan Gerber

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
A Lieberma wrote:
Plenty of busy UNcontrolled and D class airports underlay the shelfs of B
and C....

Can you name some of them?

Underneath the New York Class B airspace: TEB (Teterboro), MMU
(Morristown), CDW (Caldwell), HPN (Westchester), and FRG (Farmingdale) -
all pretty busy Class D airports.

.... Alan

--
Alan Gerber
PP-ASEL
Old December 18th 06, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Alan Gerber writes:

Underneath the New York Class B airspace: TEB (Teterboro), MMU
(Morristown), CDW (Caldwell), HPN (Westchester), and FRG (Farmingdale) -
all pretty busy Class D airports.

Underneath KPHX, Deer Valley, Scottsdale, Williams Gateway, Falcon
Field, Chandler. Scottsdale is very popular for GA, Williams handles
a lot of the overload from KPHX and is thus very busy for a Class D.

Old December 18th 06, 10:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Alan Gerber" wrote in message

Well, sure, of course they can. They can terminate it whenever they want.
I had assumed that my sighting the field was the trigger for ending it --
because then I'd be ready to switch to the tower or CTAF.

Shouldn't you be terminated when it's time to switch to tower or CTAF even
if you don't have the field in sight?

And if I had any doubt about my ability to find the airport, then I'd
certainly want to keep flight following going until I *did* have the field
in sight.

Why?

Old December 18th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Alan Gerber

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Shouldn't you be terminated when it's time to switch to tower or CTAF even
if you don't have the field in sight?

I don't know. How do you mean "should" he as what's best, or as
what's standard procedure? I've only experienced having them wait to
terminate until I had the field in sight.

When *is* "time to switch"? Again, I had thought - by inferring from how
I've been handled - that it's time to switch when I actually have the
field in sight.

And if I had any doubt about my ability to find the airport, then I'd
certainly want to keep flight following going until I *did* have the field
in sight.

Why?

Because if I'm having trouble spotting the field, either I need help
because it's hard to find, or I'm just not in the right place (i.e.,
"lost"), and need help finding it because I'm lost.

.... Alan

--
Alan Gerber
PP-ASEL

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM