IFR Cancellation Question

Old December 18th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

Default IFR Cancellation Question

"Alan Gerber" wrote in message

Underneath the New York Class B airspace: TEB (Teterboro), MMU
(Morristown), CDW (Caldwell), HPN (Westchester), and FRG (Farmingdale) -
all pretty busy Class D airports.

When you're in any of that Class D airspace, do you feel you should be
talking to the tower or still on flight following?

Old December 18th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Alan Gerber" wrote in message

I don't know. How do you mean "should" he as what's best, or as
what's standard procedure? I've only experienced having them wait to
terminate until I had the field in sight.

Instructing VFR aircraft on flight following to advise when they have the
field in sight is not standard procedure and does not have any useful
purpose.

When *is* "time to switch"? Again, I had thought - by inferring from how
I've been handled - that it's time to switch when I actually have the
field in sight.

It's time to switch at a point that will allow the aircraft to contact the
tower before entering Class D airspace.

Because if I'm having trouble spotting the field, either I need help
because it's hard to find, or I'm just not in the right place (i.e.,
"lost"), and need help finding it because I'm lost.

How is keeping flight following, by itself, beneficial in those cases?

Old December 18th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 12/18/06 15:04, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Alan Gerber" wrote in message

Underneath the New York Class B airspace: TEB (Teterboro), MMU
(Morristown), CDW (Caldwell), HPN (Westchester), and FRG (Farmingdale) -
all pretty busy Class D airports.

When you're in any of that Class D airspace, do you feel you should be
talking to the tower or still on flight following?

Is there a reason why the pilot should not be on flight following once he
enters Class D airspace?

The controller will hand you off to the tower when both are ready for you.

To the original poster: Sighting the field is not what is needed to have
the FF controller hand you off to the tower controller. I think because
this has happened to you a few times, you may have gotten the wrong
impression.

The FF controller is not waiting for you to find the field. He assumes you
know where you're going. He is not providing directions to you (unless
you ask for it, of course).

Telling the FF controller that you have the field in sight is just a polite
way of letting the controller know that you're ready to be handed off to
the tower. It is not necessary. The FF controller will hand you off when
he and the tower controller are ready for you. If you want it sooner, just
ask: "XXX Approach, Cessna XXXX, Request frequency change to XXX tower",
or just terminate flight following.

As to whether or not you've spotted the field, this has little to do with
either controller - again, they assume you know where you're going. If you
need help, ask either one.

Hope this helps,

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old December 18th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

Is there a reason why the pilot should not be on flight following once he
enters Class D airspace?

Yes, if he's not talking to the tower when he enters Class D airspace he's
busted FAR 91.129(c)(1).

The controller will hand you off to the tower when both are ready for you.

How does that work?

Telling the FF controller that you have the field in sight is just a
polite
way of letting the controller know that you're ready to be handed off to
the tower. It is not necessary. The FF controller will hand you off when
he and the tower controller are ready for you. If you want it sooner, just
ask: "XXX Approach, Cessna XXXX, Request frequency change to XXX tower",
or just terminate flight following.

As I recall the issue was why do some controllers tell VFR aircraft on
flight following to report the field in sight.

Old December 19th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 12/18/06 15:42, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

Is there a reason why the pilot should not be on flight following once he
enters Class D airspace?

Yes, if he's not talking to the tower when he enters Class D airspace he's
busted FAR 91.129(c)(1).

No, his communication requirements are met by maintaining communication
with the ATC facility providing flight following.

The controller will hand you off to the tower when both are ready for you.

How does that work?

Telling the FF controller that you have the field in sight is just a
polite
way of letting the controller know that you're ready to be handed off to
the tower. It is not necessary. The FF controller will hand you off when
he and the tower controller are ready for you. If you want it sooner, just
ask: "XXX Approach, Cessna XXXX, Request frequency change to XXX tower",
or just terminate flight following.

As I recall the issue was why do some controllers tell VFR aircraft on
flight following to report the field in sight.

I was responding to your question, which was:

Old December 19th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

No, his communication requirements are met by maintaining communication
with the ATC facility providing flight following.

How is that done?

Old December 19th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 12/18/06 17:35, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

No, his communication requirements are met by maintaining communication
with the ATC facility providing flight following.

How is that done?

What do you mean "how is it done?" The pilot is in communication
with ATC, the reg says the pilot must be in communication with
ATC.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old December 19th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

What do you mean "how is it done?" The pilot is in communication
with ATC, the reg says the pilot must be in communication with
ATC.

Communication with any ATC facility satisfies the requirements of the reg?
Doesn't the reg specify communication with the ATC facility providing air
traffic services in that airspace?

Old December 19th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
On 12/18/06 18:21, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Mark Hansen" wrote in message

What do you mean "how is it done?" The pilot is in communication
with ATC, the reg says the pilot must be in communication with
ATC.

Communication with any ATC facility satisfies the requirements of the
reg?
Doesn't the reg specify communication with the ATC facility providing air
traffic services in that airspace?

Yes.

Which question are you answering?

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
Handheld battery question RobsSanta General Aviation 8 September 19th 04 03:07 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM