FES selflaunch

Old March 1st 11, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

Default FES selflaunch

On Feb 27, 2:31*am, LimaZulu wrote:
I would like to inform you that we made first self-launch with FES
installed on Silent 2 sailplane.
You can fiind video of this important moment on:http://www.front-electric-sustainer.com

Regards,

Luka Znidarsic

Luka,
This is really a great achievement. Congratulations to you and your
team.
I wish you luck in the further development of the FES concept.
I look forward to seeing your future progress.
Bravo!
Dan Rihn
WO
Old March 1st 11, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Feb 28, 7:26*am, Andy wrote:

In many other countries a glider rating or qualification is not
sufficient to fly self launch but it is sufficient to fly a
"sustainer".

I'm going to withdraw this statement since it does not seem to be true
under current EASA rules. After doing a bit of research I'm not sure
anymore that it ever was true.

Under current EASA rules the dividing line seems to be between powered
sailplanes (either self launching, or self sustaining) and touring
motor gliders.

Since we have pilots from all round the world reading this group I'd
be interested in feedback on whether there is now, or ever was, a
difference in qualification required for self launch vs sustainer
(turbo) gliders in your country.

Andy

Old March 1st 11, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

It was, and still is, true for the UK that “a glider rating or
qualification is not sufficient to fly self launch but it is
sufficient to fly a sustainer”. For a self launch, a PPL is required;
for glider/sustainers, no licence is needed at present. (There is not
only no current legal requirement in the UK;there is no UK CAA-issued
glider pilot licence to hold at present).

EASA pilot licensing for gliders is not yet in force for the UK.

When it comes, I have been told it will continue this distinction, but
with the difference that glider pilots will have to have a licence to
fly gliders.

I have heard that existing glider pilots (unlicensed) will be granted
a licence under a form of “grandfather” rights, I await news of how
that will happen, when (2012?), and at what cost.

Chris N.
Old March 6th 11, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

Latest I heard is that the UK CAA thinks that the transition to EASA
licenses for UK glider pilots will take place over 3 years, 2012 to
2015. This came from a CAA slide presentation late 2010. I have not
heard anything different recently, but it was covered by a caveat that
it was not yet definite.

Meanwhile, in the UK, we are still able to fly a turbo without a
licence. They are classed as gliders.

Chris N.

Old March 6th 11, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Mar 6, 5:52*am, Chris Nicholas wrote:
Latest I heard is that the UK CAA thinks that the transition to EASA
licenses for UK glider pilots will take place over 3 years, 2012 to
2015. *This came from a CAA slide presentation late 2010. I have not
heard anything different recently, but it was covered by a caveat that
it was not yet definite.

Meanwhile, in the UK, we are still able to fly a turbo without a
licence. They are classed as gliders.

Chris N.

Thanks for the update Chris.

Can someone from Germany, South Africa, Austalia, or elsewhere please
comment on whether there is a different pilot qualification required
for self launch vs. sustainer gliders in your country.

Andy
Old March 6th 11, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

in South Africa there is one Glider Pilot License - Endorsed per rated
launch type.
Winch, Aerotow, Selflaunch and Touring Motor Glider.

The last has been contentious , and has a separate skills test and
different training.

Regulation at present is under the obsolete Air Nav Regulations because
the new reg left gliders out...

That will soon be rectified for Tour Motor gliders, putting them as a
rating under part 62.(Equivalent to NPPL in the UK)

The entire administration of recreational pilots licenses is currently
being somewhat arbitrarily changed by a newly created and not
particularly accountable Recreational Aviation Administration. Glider
pilot's licenses are currently being issued that have no rating for tour
motor gliders, but have a rating expiry date for the non-existent
rating. One assumes this is because they want to make the TMG a stand
alone license rather than a rating.

We have now had 4 months of chaos - so - for now - legally - and
according to the Part 149 Manual of procedure approved by CAA but not
applied by RAASA, there is one GPL with Tour Gliders and other motorised
gliders as a rating. The span loading rule is applied.

So - for the foreseeable, Pure glider, Sustainer and Self launch gliders
will remain under GPL. There is no reason other than political and
financial to move TMGs to the NPPL, but it is a definite objective of
various parties to do so.

Cheers
Bruce

--