Best instructional book for 12-year-old aspiring glider pilot?

Old March 7th 11, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Best instructional book for 12-year-old aspiring glider pilot?

Hi,

The book that I will start with when starting my kids is:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books...ryOfFlight.htm

I especially like the wonderful illustrations in that book. One example is
available he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books...light-p181.jpg

As mentioned, the Ken Stewart books are also very good. Here is one:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/books...lotsManual.htm

Both of those books are from the U.K., but work great for U.S. pilots. I
have them in stock.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"villinski" wrote in message
Looking to give my 12-year-old niece a book about learning to fly
gliders, prior to her starting lessons this summer. Any thoughts on
the most appropriate/accessible book for someone her age? Thanks--

Old March 8th 11, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
villinski

Gents, thank you for all your suggestions -- any number of these sound
good, and I'll look into them. They'd likely be good additions to my
own bookshelf, too. Can I broaden my question -- probably what I
should have asked in the first place -- and ask for suggestions for
anything that a child her age might find inspiring? Not necessarily
instructional in nature, but material that could fire her imagination
and shed some light on our sport. Let's throw videos into the mix,
too: she's already seen "Windborn," and "Fly Away Home".

Tom, your point that she may not need anything to read at all is well
taken, it's just that we are several months from her first lesson, and
I wanted to give her something to chew on in the meantime. Paul, (sisu
1a) we are in the US, and she will have lessons at Valley Soaring, in
Middletown, NY.

thanks again--
Old March 8th 11, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex Potter

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 05:44:37 -0800, villinski wrote:

Gents, thank you for all your suggestions -- any number of these sound
good, and I'll look into them. They'd likely be good additions to my own
bookshelf, too. Can I broaden my question -- probably what I should have
asked in the first place -- and ask for suggestions for anything that a
child her age might find inspiring? Not necessarily instructional in
nature, but material that could fire her imagination and shed some light
on our sport. Let's throw videos into the mix, too: she's already seen
"Windborn," and "Fly Away Home".

I read Peter Scott's autobiography[1] when I was just a little older than
she is now. I wanted to fly gliders ever since reading it, although I
didn't get the opportunity until I was almost 50.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Wind-Peter...UA/ref=sr_1_4?
ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299593598&sr=1-4-spell or

http://tinyurl.com/4fpazcx

--
Alex
Old March 8th 11, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Gardner

On Mar 8, 1:44*pm, villinski wrote:
ask for suggestions for
anything that a child her age might find inspiring?

Based on my 15 year old daughter's experience:
- handling a glider's wing and sitting in the cockpit
- just being in control of a "large" "dangerous" machine
- a winch launch (that really was really responsible for
hooking her, unlike an aerotow)
- building her own rollercoaster in the sky, both in terms
of thermalling and basic aerobatics
- my not interfering - it was between her and her instructors
- my telling her she didn't have to continue if she
didn't want to, or because she'd flown a complete flight,
or done some spinning, or had her first solo, ...
- helping out at the launchpoint
- "ordering" ancient men around at the launchpoint - and
having them "obey"

In other words, it wasn't just the flying!

Let's throw videos into the mix,
too: she's already seen "Windborn," and "Fly Away Home".

This was discussed in the thread
"pleasant" Soaring video on youtube??
started on 17th Feb
Old March 8th 11, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex Potter

On Tue, 08 Mar 2011 07:48:51 -0800, Tom Gardner wrote:

In other words, it wasn't just the flying!

If you're air-minded, airfields are THE place to be. To fly as well,
that's the cherry on top. If you're not, it won't do it for you. My son
wasn't interested.

--
Alex
Old March 8th 11, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

You mentioned Windborn below. That is perfect for a young woman since it
shows Lucy learning how to fly gliders.

Another one to get is "The Boy Who Flew With Condors". You can find new
copies at Amazon.com. I wish I could get Disney to release it to the
general public - rather than their movie club. You can see details and
screen captures from it he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/video...lewWithCondors

One of my favorites is Ron Howard's "Skyward". It is not available for rent
or purchase. I bought a copy of questionable legality online a few years
ago. It is a somewhat sappy but very likeable movie about a paraplegic girl
learning to fly. There are some nice gliding scenes with Derek Piggott as
the glider pilot. My 2 young girls like that film. I got them to watch it
with me recently. They said they didn't want to watch it, but once it
started they couldn't leave. You can see details on the movie and actors
at:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081526/

Paul Remde

Old March 9th 11, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mar 8, 2:09*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
[...]

"Skyward" was produced in 1980. That was the year Anson Williams
(Potsie from Happy Days) got his student glider ticket. Note he has
writer credits for "Skyward".

Frank Whiteley

Old March 9th 11, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

[...]

"Skyward" was produced in 1980. One of the writers and Ron Howard
collaborator, Anson Williams (Potsie from Happy Days), held a student
glider certificate in 1980.

Frank Whiteley