Your very own suspected terrorist

Old January 26th 04, 01:15 AM
Rob Perkins

EDR wrote:

$50 million would buy a lot of airline tickets to El Junque, Puerto
Rico, the only rain forest in the US Park Service.

What? Olympic National Forest doesn't count?

Rob

Old January 26th 04, 02:35 PM
Richard Russell

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:10:05 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

WHY has Congress approved a rain forest for Iowa? It doesn't make any
sense...

No one here knows. This lame-brained idea has been proposed as an
environmental and educational tool by a wealthy businessman from Des Moines.
He's been shopping the idea around for four or five years now, with little
success or interest from local developers.

Somehow he has managed to get Sen. Grassley involved, who apparently had the
clout to ram it into the overall spending bill. (Can you say "Major
Campaign Contribution?")

What the hell our federal government is doing building rain forests in Iowa
is simply beyond me. Even the local newspaper -- as left wing, pork-barrel
project loving as you can imagine -- has publicly ridiculed the idea.

Iowa doesn't have the yearly precipitation needed for rainforest
climates, does it?

It's going to be built IN-DOORS, under a roof that would dome over three
football fields!

I'm dumb-founded. Even though it will probably bring more guests to my
hotel, I think it's the dumbest idea I've EVER heard.

It's pork, pure and simple. Pork was never required to make sense.
The only requirement is that it brings money into the state. No need
to try to rationalize it beyond that.
Rich Russell
Old January 26th 04, 03:40 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I have long advocated that house and senate rules require that any
amendments to a bill have to be directly related to that bill, no
non-related riders, period...
The chances of the public getting their elected representatives to make such
a rule and actually earn their keep by openly voting on every piece of pork
as a separate bill in it's own right, range between zero and minus
infinity...
I suspect that whoever will write the book, The Rise, Decline, and Fall, of
The United States of America, roughly a thousand years from now, will cite
that specific issue as being directly responsible for the final economic
collapse of our country due to every dollar of the GNP becoming someones,
"entitlement"...
denny

Old January 26th 04, 03:41 PM
Marco Leon

"Michael" wrote in message:
Yeah, and he was having my apartment watched. And my truck was being
tailed when he called me that morning. Sure. You keep telling
yourself that.

As for me, I call bull****.

You can call it anything you want. What you describe would have happened
AFTER you screwed up one of your answers.

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 26th 04, 03:57 PM
EDR

In article , Rob Perkins
wrote:

EDR wrote:
$50 million would buy a lot of airline tickets to El Junque, Puerto
Rico, the only rain forest in the US Park Service.

What? Olympic National Forest doesn't count?

El Junque is a tropical rain forest.
What kind of rain forest is Olympic?
Old January 26th 04, 03:58 PM
EDR

In article , Richard
Russell wrote:

It's pork, pure and simple. Pork was never required to make sense.
The only requirement is that it brings money into the state. No need
to try to rationalize it beyond that.

Of course it's pork! It is Iowa, after all.
Old January 26th 04, 06:03 PM
Tony Cox

"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in message

I've had two friends in Florida discover a mysterious "black box"

installed in their
planes. One was found during an annual, the other when the ****ty wiring
job shorted out his radio.

No log book entry either eh?
Sounds interesting. Care to say more??

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.

Old January 26th 04, 06:24 PM
Michael

"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net wrote
Yeah, and he was having my apartment watched. And my truck was being
tailed when he called me that morning. Sure. You keep telling
yourself that.

As for me, I call bull****.

You can call it anything you want. What you describe would have happened
AFTER you screwed up one of your answers.

You are completely missing the point. Had I been an actual terrorist,
the meeting at which I answered his questions would never have taken
place. When I saw the card on the door I would have bolted. Unless
my apartment was being watched, I would have made my getaway.

Even if I were a particularly bold terrorist who was dumb enough to
think the card was there for other reasons, once the FBI agent told me
I was under suspicion for terrorism I would have bolted. I would have
made my apppintment for lunchtime, just as I did then, and kept on
driving. When he showed up three hours later, I would have been long
gone.

And therein lies the point. If I were a real terrorist, I would be
long gone unless I was a total moron. What the FBI agent did could
not possibly be of any use in catching a real terrorist who is not a
total moron - all it's good for is hassling regular law-abiding
citizens. Which is all the anti-terrorist measures implemented after
9/11 ever succeed in doing.

Michael
Old January 26th 04, 06:53 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in message

Never underestimate how far the fed's will go, Michael. That card in the

door could
have been intended to spook you so they could see where you went, and who

you
called, after finding it. Don't rule out a tracking device in your car,

either.
I've had two friends in Florida discover a mysterious "black box"

installed in their
planes. One was found during an annual, the other when the ****ty wiring
job shorted out his radio.
Remember the old saying " Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean

they're
NOT after you".

Or..."No matter how cynical you are, it's not enough".

--
"He that would make his own liberty secure,
must guard even his enemy from oppression;

Old January 26th 04, 07:58 PM
John Galban

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..

The ideal would be a rain forest in Arizona. Then we could go to see
it in the winter.

We already have one! It's a fairly popular tourist attraction.

See http://www.bio2.com/index.html

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)