Satellite Radio to broadcast weather data

Old July 1st 03, 05:10 AM
Richard Kaplan

Default Satellite Radio to broadcast weather data

"John Harlow" wrote in message

Were they of any help other than telling you to "wait for production

units"?
Seems their customer relations could use a little help.

They offered me the "first production unit" by express mail (maybe to arrive
this week?, we will see). I offered to be a beta tester so I would have
more experience by the time my Oshkosh talk rolls around, but they were not
interested.

Compared witih the current datalink competition, $50 per month flat rate is
actually pretty good or at least competitive.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old July 3rd 03, 06:26 PM
Ronnie Brown

And compared to the high cost of a $5000 to $10,000 installation of a storm
scope/ strike finder and its limited information, $50 per month for a wealth
of weather data is not that bad! That would cover about 5-10 years worth of
monthly fees. And you know the monthly cost will go down as more
competition gets in the business.

Ronnie Brown

Old July 4th 03, 04:45 PM
Richard Kaplan

"James M. Knox" wrote in message

Yeah, but aren't we missing something? Ignoring the fact that I got my
stormscope (installed) for a total of around $2800 (which would probably

be
more like $3200 in 2003 dollars), we still have the capital and
installation costs of the XM unit? What does the "aviation FAA PMA

1. There are no installation costs for the XMRadio unit -- it is portable,
and unlike the WSI In Flight system, the XMRadio antenna is not permanently
installed so it is truly a portable device, just like a handheld GPS.

2. The XMRadio unit should cost notably less as a capital investment than a
stormscope -- they are saying under $1000 but the final details are unknown.
But really the comparison in price is not to a Stormscope, but rather to
panel-mount weather datalink units, where there is no comparison -- say
$1000 for XMRadio vs. over $10,000 for most panel-mount weather datalink
systems with an MFD.

3. Comparing this to a Stormscope also does no make sense because weather
datalink is NOT a replacement for sferics -- sferics is clearly more
important and probably more useful than ANY weather datalink system.

4. Lots of pilots rent airplanes or for other reasons fly or instruct in
airplanes they do not own. In that case, the XMRadio system seems to have a
major portability advantage over most of the competition.

5. It is true that the XMRadio system requires a laptop computer or PDA for
its display, but is it really fair to include that in the price considering
that many (most?) pilots probably already own a PDA or laptop for other
reasons?

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com