Trailer tow advice

Old February 15th 20, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Default Trailer tow advice

Nick Kennedy wrote:
Just drive like hell and get there, fast.
Before you have an accident.

I must say Nick, that is the best advice I have seen on
RAS in the last 6 months!!!! LOL

Old February 15th 20, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:06:00 AM UTC-8, Ray Lovinggood wrote:
On Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 6:33:47 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Any opinions on Ford Escape SUV 2liter as a tow vehicle? I live on the east coast but may want to tow to sailplane destinations out west. Near certain my trailer and glider is under a ton.

I guessed at my trailer's loaded weight and I was WAY wrong. To find out, I drove to a truck stop along the interstate that had truck scales and weighed the loaded trailer there. "Swan" trailer with fiberglass top and LS1-c plus a few sundry items in the trailer (tow-out equipment, a few wrenches/screwdrivers, etc). The trailer weighed 2,040 lbs with a 180 lb tongue weight.

My friend pulled his Libelle 201 in a Schreder trailer with his Escape. It was probably a mid 2000's year model with a four cylinder engine and five speed manual transmission. It worked well for him. I drove it once while pulling the trailer, following him on a flight, so the trailer was empty. Pulling empty was no problem.

This trailer does not have brakes.

Last car I bought was a Subaru Outback. It has a 2.5 liter four cylinder engine and a Continuously Variable Transmission. Rated tow capacity is 2,700 lbs.

I also looked at the Ford Escape, but settled on the Subaru. The only Escape rated to tow my trailer was the version with a turbo engine, and I really didn't want that added complexity on the car.

I think you should read your Outback manual about trailers w/o brakes. I don't think you can tow a 2,000 lb trailer that does not have trailer brakes. I have read that the limit is 1,000 lb. I found this in the 2019 Outback User Manual:

Trailer brakes are required when
the towing load exceeds 1,000 lbs
(453 kg). B

I presume that a similar requirement exists for all other vehicles - the car's brakes are just not designed to handle an additional ton of weight. Also, all of the cargo and passenger weight in the car must be added to the trailer weight in determining these limits.

Tom
Old February 15th 20, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just drive like hell and get there, fast.
Before you have an accident.

When towing a large or unruly trailer with an underpowered or undersized vehicle, keep a close eye on your rearview mirrors. If the trailer changes lanes, try to stay in front of it.

Old February 15th 20, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Jardine[_2_]

some of you guys are Nuts
one person said
My tow speed has been as high as 98 mph
Plain Crazy (no pun intended )
An other
overtake logging wagons on a winding road thru the "Cascades "

Europe we don't have "Big Trucks " like you guys
but our laws say 75% of GVW for towing
and max of 55/60 mph
have towed a Huge T21 on an open Trailer with a 1.8 Td four door Car
I have Towed with Mitsubishi Shogun/ Pajero with only a 2.5 litre engine
again large open trailer right across the country
any difference between the 2
No
other than not as quick from the traffic lights
BUT
i'm not pushing it hard nor am I doing the Indy 500

SLOW And SAFE and within the laws ( weight and speed)

But I certainly would not do as high as 98 mph nor would I overtake
logging wagons on a winding road thru the "Cascades "
look at weight of tow outfit total!! including all the stuff you chuck in
the trailer
find car that can do that weight

stay safe !!

Old February 16th 20, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Morwood

I think you should read your Outback manual about trailers w/o brakes. I don't think you can tow a 2,000 lb trailer that does not have trailer brakes. I have read that the limit is 1,000 lb. I found this in the 2019 Outback User Manual:

Trailer brakes are required when
the towing load exceeds 1,000 lbs
(453 kg). B

This differs from country to country for the same car. In Australia the 2019 Subaru Outback is rated for:

750kg unbraked (~1600 lbs)
1500kg to 1800kg braked depending on the model (~3200 to 4000 lbs)

I'm pretty sure the 750kg max is driven by the state road rules here that require trailers over 750kg GTM to be braked independent of the capacity of the towing vehicle.

Old February 16th 20, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 3:08:35 PM UTC-8, Mark Morwood wrote:
I think you should read your Outback manual about trailers w/o brakes. I don't think you can tow a 2,000 lb trailer that does not have trailer brakes. I have read that the limit is 1,000 lb. I found this in the 2019 Outback User Manual:

Trailer brakes are required when
the towing load exceeds 1,000 lbs
(453 kg). B

This differs from country to country for the same car. In Australia the 2019 Subaru Outback is rated for:

750kg unbraked (~1600 lbs)
1500kg to 1800kg braked depending on the model (~3200 to 4000 lbs)

I'm pretty sure the 750kg max is driven by the state road rules here that require trailers over 750kg GTM to be braked independent of the capacity of the towing vehicle.

It's just plain common sense: brakes aren't designed for double the gross vehicle weight. In any case, 1,600 lb is lighter than any glider trailer I am aware of.

Tom
Old February 16th 20, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Lightest weight for glider and trailer, measured at the truck scales:

Libelle 301 in a Eberle trailer = 1190 pounds.
Old February 17th 20, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood[_2_]

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 11:39:03 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
[...]

Poorly worded - let me try to clarify:

I was driving my friend's Escape pulling his Schreder trailer which was empty. His trailer does not have brakes.

My Swan does have brakes and I pull it with the 2016 Outback. The maximum trailer weight for the 2016 Outback (US market) for trailer with brakes is 2,700 lbs.