Garmin 430/530 and WAAS: Delayed again?

Old June 7th 05, 05:36 PM
Javier Henderson

"Mike Rapoport" writes:

I suspect that there are a lot of reasons including:

Certification issues
Availible engineering resources
Slow implementation of LPV approaches by FAA

There are many tens of thousands of 430s and 530 installed and upgrading
them represents a lot of revenue for Garmin, so I doubt that they are just
sitting on their hands.

My cynical view is different.

Garmin announced WAAS upgradeability to compete with the CNX80.

Garmin acquired UPSAT, and with it the CNX80, eliminating competition.

WAAS upgrade for the GNS series, you ask... yeah, um...

-jav
Old June 7th 05, 05:38 PM
Javier Henderson

Frank Stutzman writes:

In rec.aviation.owning Mike Rapoport wrote:

There are many tens of thousands of 430s and 530 installed and upgrading
them represents a lot of revenue for Garmin, so I doubt that they are just
sitting on their hands.

But at the $1500 price that Garmin has publically committed to is it that
big of a revenue stream for them? I mean its not chump change for some of
us, but considering what needs to happen to a 430 for this to work (new
software, new processor, new re-certification(?), the overhead of a whole
upgrade program), I'm surpised that Garmin can even break even at that
price.

See my cynical view posting of earlier. The ship-by date on this
alleged upgrade has been steadily slipping. Now it's a year away.

yawn

Wake me up when the sucker starts shipping.

Oh yeah, bonus points if you can find out how to get on the waiting
list for this alleged upgrade.

-jav
Old June 7th 05, 06:15 PM
Mike Rapoport

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Garmin will probably do a little under $200MM this year in total aviation
revenue. When you consider that the potential WAAS upgrade market is about
$90MM and that they will also be able to charge more for 430/530 units that
have WAAS, it is a significant market for them. When and if the FAA
publishes a significant number of LPV approaches, nobody will be able to
sell a non-WAAS box so they have to add the functionality eventually.
Perhaps they know more about how many new approaches the FAA is going to
commission than we do? Why doesn't Honeywell have a WAAS box out?

Mike
MU-2

Old June 7th 05, 06:20 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
"Mike Rapoport" writes:

I suspect that there are a lot of reasons including:

Certification issues
Availible engineering resources
Slow implementation of LPV approaches by FAA

There are many tens of thousands of 430s and 530 installed and upgrading
them represents a lot of revenue for Garmin, so I doubt that they are
just
sitting on their hands.

My cynical view is different.

Garmin announced WAAS upgradeability to compete with the CNX80.

Garmin acquired UPSAT, and with it the CNX80, eliminating competition.

WAAS upgrade for the GNS series, you ask... yeah, um...

-jav

That makes no sense from their point of view. They make money by coming up
with new things to sell you.

Mike
MU-2

Old June 7th 05, 07:03 PM
Javier Henderson

"Mike Rapoport" writes:

I suspect that there are a lot of reasons including:

Certification issues
Availible engineering resources
Slow implementation of LPV approaches by FAA

There are many tens of thousands of 430s and 530 installed and upgrading
them represents a lot of revenue for Garmin, so I doubt that they are
just
sitting on their hands.

My cynical view is different.

Garmin announced WAAS upgradeability to compete with the CNX80.

Garmin acquired UPSAT, and with it the CNX80, eliminating competition.

WAAS upgrade for the GNS series, you ask... yeah, um...

-jav

That makes no sense from their point of view. They make money by coming up
with new things to sell you.

Assuming they make money on those $1500 upgrades...

-jav
Old June 7th 05, 08:22 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Mike Rapoport" writes:

[...]

True. I suspect that if you take out the developement costs (which they
would incur anyway), that they will make some (perhaps not much) money.

Mike
MU-2

Old June 7th 05, 08:53 PM
Matt Barrow

"Mike Rapoport" writes:
My cynical view is different.

Garmin announced WAAS upgradeability to compete with the CNX80.

Garmin acquired UPSAT, and with it the CNX80, eliminating competition.

WAAS upgrade for the GNS series, you ask... yeah, um...

One of forty-some WAAS enabled products they carry.

http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html

Old June 7th 05, 09:08 PM
Matt Barrow

"Mike Rapoport" writes:

That makes no sense from their point of view. They make money by coming

up
with new things to sell you.

Assuming they make money on those $1500 upgrades...

Even if they don't (I'm guessing they don't) it's in their long-term
interest to do so.

Only Microsoft and government can do better and better (revenue-wise) the
worse their performance becomes.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old June 7th 05, 09:21 PM
Dan Luke

"Mike Rapoport" wrote:
Why doesn't Honeywell have a WAAS box out?

Never mind WAAS, why does Honeywell *still* not have a GPS/NAV/COMM box out?

Answer: Honeywell has its head in in a very dark, warm place.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old June 7th 05, 09:40 PM
Roy Page

k.net...

"Mike Rapoport" writes:

I suspect that there are a lot of reasons including:

Certification issues
Availible engineering resources
Slow implementation of LPV approaches by FAA

There are many tens of thousands of 430s and 530 installed and upgrading
them represents a lot of revenue for Garmin, so I doubt that they are
just
sitting on their hands.

My cynical view is different.

Garmin announced WAAS upgradeability to compete with the CNX80.

Garmin acquired UPSAT, and with it the CNX80, eliminating competition.

WAAS upgrade for the GNS series, you ask... yeah, um...

-jav

That makes no sense from their point of view. They make money by coming
up with new things to sell you.

Mike
MU-2

Yes, I agree that Garmin will make more money by selling something new.
Why bother with upgrading the 430 when the 480 is selling and is so much
better ?
I think they will finish the engineering of the G1000 related stuff and they
will announce a complete new box making 430's and 480's obsolete.
In modern day digital terms, the 430 is yesterday's CPU.
Why bother retrofitting it with a maths co-processor ?

--
Roy
N5804F - On old PA28-181 Piper Archer II with steam gages !

Any inside story re 430/530 WAAS cert.? [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 0 May 20th 05 06:13 PM
Garmin GNS430 & WAAS Roy Page Owning 33 April 7th 05 04:02 AM
WAAS and Garmin 430/530 DoodyButch Owning 23 October 13th 03 04:06 AM
Terminology of New WAAS, VNAV, LPV approach types Tarver Engineering Instrument Flight Rules 2 August 5th 03 03:50 AM
Garmin Behind the Curve on WAAS GPS VNAV Approaches Richard Kaplan Instrument Flight Rules 24 July 18th 03 01:43 PM