Tail Wheels & Tail Booms snapp'n

Old November 17th 11, 09:02 PM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Default Tail Wheels & Tail Booms snapp'n

I was warned about the possibility of a glassed on tail wheel possibly being the deciding factor in your tail boon snapping off in a extreme ground loop incident, whereas a skid or wheel that is intended to tear off could be the deciding factor in just the opposite happening.
I've left my steel shoe, glued on rubber skid in place, and my super faired tail wheel I made, off.
Any spinout or repair people care to comment on the idea of the tail boom slamming into the turf at a high rotation speed with a hard mounted TW.
Old November 18th 11, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 11/17/2011 2:02 PM, POPS wrote:
I was warned about the possibility of a glassed on tail wheel possibly
being the deciding factor in your tail boon snapping off in a extreme
ground loop incident, whereas a skid or wheel that is intended to tear
off could be the deciding factor in just the opposite happening.
I've left my steel shoe, glued on rubber skid in place, and my super
faired tail wheel I made, off.
Any spinout or repair people care to comment on the idea of the tail
boom slamming into the turf at a high rotation speed with a hard mounted
TW.

Ruh roh! This sort of question is dangerously close to FUDland. (That's
FearUncertaintyDoubtland.) All fans of Absolute Certainty should read no
further!!!

Considered from an energy dissipation perspective, any 'tailwheel mount' that
happens to break away from the fuselage dissipates a finite amount of energy
from what remains in the moving glider, and in that sense reduces the
possibility the next sideways load on the fuselage will have sufficient energy
to break the tailboom. That said, side-load-inducing events are by nature
pretty much uncontrollable (once underway, dry chuckle), dynamic, and
unpredictable...meaning analytical results will always be arguably applicable.

The fact is, absolute answers to the posed question won't be found in reality.

That said, I know of a Zuni (solidly-mounted, fixed tailwheel, albeit by
original design) that has never had a broken tailboom in 2050+ hours. Make of
that what you will, but I'm of the school that believes Joe Pilot can far
better control the *likelihood* of a groundloop through his actions, than he
can the *nature* of any J.P.-induced groundloop.

YMMV
Bob W.
Old November 18th 11, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:31:36 PM UTC-5, BobW wrote:
... That said, side-load-inducing events are by nature
pretty much uncontrollable (once underway, dry chuckle),

Stick forward to lift the tail as a groundloop develops
will always reduce the possibility of the tail digging in
(and tailboom damage).

Remember to get the stick sharply forward next time
you groundloop !

Best Regards, Dave

PS: I wish I had a video of an ASW-22 groundlooping
for the umpteenth time (failure to dump on one side).
The pilot was quite accomplished - lifted the tail
just as the tip hit the ground. No damage but one
humongous cloud of dust...
Old November 18th 11, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gemerson

This is why it's very important to apply a large quantity of butter or
margarine to the circumference of your tailwheel before each flight.
The butter reduces the side loads and thus prevents the tail boom from
cracking.

--
POPS

Old November 18th 11, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 17, 4:02*pm, POPS wrote:
I was warned about the possibility of a glassed on tail wheel possibly
being *the deciding factor in your tail boon snapping off in a extreme
ground loop *incident, *whereas a skid or wheel that is intended to tear
off could be the deciding factor in just the opposite happening.
I've left my steel shoe, glued on rubber skid in place, and my super
faired tail wheel I made, off.
Any spinout or repair people care to comment on the idea of the tail
boom slamming into the turf at a high rotation speed with a hard mounted
TW.

--
POPS

The currently popular large tail wheels do a good job of helping keep
the glider straight which seems to
help avoid the problem in the first place.
Once they are seriously sideways in a true ground loop, they slide
reasonably well.
Once the tail digs in, the boom breaks.
Does a break away skid/tailhweel avoid this? maybe -sometimes.
I've put a number of modern tailwheels in older skid equipped gliders
and every owner has bee happy with the
improvement.
FWIW
UH
Old November 18th 11, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Hmmm,
I have repaired maybe 15 broken booms including 3 that I have cardinal
knowledge of and it is my humble opinion that the tail wheel dragging
sideways has little to do with snapping the boom. In all 3 of my
personal recollections, the tail was off the ground during the event
(2 had wheels, 1 had a skid). I watched a Discus come as close as it
could to breaking its boom when it landed beside me, only a bit deeper
into the barley field at Camby, Ca The left wing tip caught a clump of
barley and around it came, tail off the ground, spun 180, T-tail laid
over a good 30 degrees, then the boom came down and she just sat there
and shook for a moment. What determines weather you break the boom or
not is speed, ground loop below 40 knots and you will probably come
out unscathed, do it above 40 and she's likely to break (Libells
reduce by 10 knots). What's really going on is simply this, The wing
can take it quite well because it has a spar, the boom doesn't and
one side goes into compression while the other is held in tension,
compression looses and buckles inward, do it hard enough (speed) and
she snaps off, tail wheel had very little to do with it.
As always, just my humble opinion,
JJ
Old November 18th 11, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rex Mayes

JJ,
If I may add.... The torsional load of the T tail, especially with
lead weight installed is a big factor as well. I do not believe the
style of tail wheel is a factor in tail boom fractures.
The style of landing, on the other hand...

Rex
Old November 19th 11, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_30_]

With all that logic and experience talking....can't deny that having
something there that comes unglued under stress (tail skid) is a better
situation than something permanently mounted (tail wheel) that increases the
dragging (sideways) forces. Bare fiberglass slides better.
In my experience, I've had several tail skids come off during off field
landings....did it save my boom? dunno....but, the thing didn't break!!
(Hard to find those things!!!)

What's probably more important is to avoid any weights (batteries,
ballast...etc) placed anywhere up high in the fin that increases the
torsional twisting motion. Mike Adams cautioned me against this when I
bought my first LS-6 from him. I've always put my
balance weights down low back there, using the factory mount at the lower
rudder hinge bolts.....and no tail batteries, ever.

J4

Old November 20th 11, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Nov 19, 2:24*pm, "John" wrote:
[...]

I believe the issue is that pneumatic tail wheel will provide much
more grip on pavement and therefor provide better directional control.
On grass or gravel, either work about the same. In a cross wind
landing ,the only way to keep her pointed down the runway is to hold
back stick which gives the pneumatic wheel max grip. In the Genesis I
force the nose wheel down with full forward stick in order to give it
max grip, but even then when my speed equals the wind speed, she
weather-vanes into the wind. Then I must lower the opposite wing and
the little tip wheel gives enough drag to keep her doing my bidding.
Landing a flying wing in a cross-wind has been an educational
experience, but I have once landed with a 30 knot direct cross-wind
and walked away unscathed!.
Cheers,
JJ
Old November 20th 11, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Guys - Tail up prevents catching on rough ground
and reduces side-load on tailboom if in crops.
Tail up if you start to groundloop !
See ya, Dave

Tail Canuck[_10_] Aviation Photos 0 February 17th 11 06:52 PM
Tail wheels, or is this forum really dead? [email protected] Home Built 8 February 5th 10 01:33 AM
Source for tail wheels Simon Soaring 11 May 25th 05 04:05 AM
FS: Blanik L-13 Tail Skid & Tail Wheel Assembly Tim Hanke Soaring 0 February 8th 05 01:34 PM
Why the T-Tail? Marian Aldenhövel Soaring 57 November 3rd 04 02:03 AM