New type of Launch Method? Video

Old November 22nd 11, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JP Stewart

Default New type of Launch Method? Video

On Nov 22, 4:26*pm, Tony wrote:
On Nov 22, 3:11*pm, tstock wrote:

On Nov 22, 10:30*am, JohnDeRosa wrote:

There is aero, auto, winch, bungie and slope/cliff launch methods.

Now we can add ... being dropped from a BALLOON? *Would *YOU* do
this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeJ0UFOj_WQ

- John

Hmm, well I didn't see anyone actually IN the glider, nor any movement
of the control surfaces... maybe just transporting?

I can see the ailerons deflecting right at lift off. pilot trying as
hard as he can to level the wings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bINmbkLH9Lk
Old November 22nd 11, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bart[_4_]

On Nov 22, 11:04*am, sisu1a wrote:
was still really tame compared to the helicopter launches (New
Zealand) I got on vid... * *initial launch and first 1000' or so is
'normal' aerotow, but after that the chopper really starts climbing

Given a choice, I think I would rather go with a helicopter. I'd say
that the "normal aerotow" part at the beginning makes it much safer.

By the way, are you planning to fly anytime soon?

Bart
Old November 22nd 11, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Nov 23, 8:04*am, sisu1a wrote:
Now we can add ... being dropped from a BALLOON? *Would *YOU* do
this?

The only thing scary about that one was taking off so close the the
cars, which appear within the swing of the glider when initially
launching. *Okay, rope break options kinda suck below 400', but that
was still really tame compared to the helicopter launches (New
Zealand) I got on vid... * *initial launch and first 1000' or so is
'normal' aerotow, but after that the chopper really starts climbing
and the ASW 24/27 (grainy footage...) is vertically dangling -by it's
nosehook. Pilot releases once the propwash starts spinning the
glider. *O_O

Pretty sure it was from the belly hook. I was there, but then you have
a video and I don't.

I think it was Bruce Drake in the ASW20, but I can't remember who was
flying the Hughes 500.
Old November 22nd 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Nov 23, 8:04*am, sisu1a wrote:
was still really tame compared to the helicopter launches (New
Zealand) I got on vid... * *initial launch and first 1000' or so is
'normal' aerotow, but after that the chopper really starts climbing
and the ASW 24/27 (grainy footage...) is vertically dangling -by it's
nosehook. Pilot releases once the propwash starts spinning the
glider. *O_O

OK, my emailed notes on the day confirm that I thought it was the
belly hook, not the nose hook.

http://gei.aerobaticsweb.org/WORLD_9...tin_jan10.html

(scroll to the bottom)
Old November 23rd 11, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

(scroll to the bottom)

I haven't watched it in a while, and I'm not disputing which hook it
was dangling by, before it started spinning in the propwash. Release
from that position also made for a pretty nice tailslide. Honestly the
whole affair looked like a lot of damn fun!

Seeing as you were there, taking notes and all, pm me if you want a
copy of the vid to complete your records. It's tucked at the end of a
grainy copy of that Aussie knockoff of Sunship Game of the 74'
World's, which is actually really interesting in itself.

-Paul
Old November 23rd 11, 08:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Claffey

Tip: Lock the belly release so it wont back release!
Tom

At 23:29 22 November 2011, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Nov 23, 8:04=A0am, sisu1a wrote:
was still really tame compared to the helicopter launches (New
Zealand) I got on vid... =A0 =A0initial launch and first 1000' or so is
'normal' aerotow, but after that the chopper really starts climbing
and the ASW 24/27 (grainy footage...) is vertically dangling -by it's
nosehook. Pilot releases once the propwash starts spinning the
glider. =A0O_O

Old November 23rd 11, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Nov 22, 8:30*am, JohnDeRosa wrote:
There is aero, auto, winch, bungie and slope/cliff launch methods.

Now we can add ... being dropped from a BALLOON? *Would *YOU* do
this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeJ0UFOj_WQ

- John

See Chapter 1 of Collected Classics of Soaring for "Uncle Wally and
the Blimp Tow".

http://www.asa-soaring.org/content/publications.asp

Andy
Old November 24th 11, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Nov 23, 3:38*am, Tom Claffey wrote:
Tip: Lock the belly release so it wont back release!
Tom

Tom,
I have been working with TOST CG-hooks (i.e. 'belly release') for the
last 25+years and have yet to find a way to 'lock' the back-release
function, a very important safety feature.
Feel free to elaborate on that one..... ;-)
Uli Neumann
Old November 24th 11, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_3_]

Am 24.11.2011 12:07, GM wrote:
On Nov 23, 3:38 am, Tom wrote:
Tip: Lock the belly release so it wont back release!
Tom

Tom,
I have been working with TOST CG-hooks (i.e. 'belly release') for the
last 25+years and have yet to find a way to 'lock' the back-release
function, a very important safety feature.
Feel free to elaborate on that one..... ;-)
Uli Neumann

Uli,
on my ASW24 (CG-hook only) I regularily lock the back-release feature
when aero-towing in the alps, due to the high turbulence that can be
experienced there. I simply push a cork from an ordinary wine bottle
behind the TOST hook, so that the swiveling part of the hook is blocked.

Needless to say that the cork should be removed before the next winch
launch....
--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE
Old November 24th 11, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Dyck

What was the device at 56 seconds into
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HafLz...feature=fvwrel

I'm guessing it is an airspeed indicator, but I'm not sure.