light planes collide over Seattle?

Old August 5th 05, 04:14 AM
tony roberts

Default light planes collide over Seattle?

Just saw an ad for Kiro News 4 at 11:00
It showed 2 light planes that had collided - looked bad.

Anyone know anything?

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old August 5th 05, 04:25 AM
Jay Honeck

See http://www.kirotv.com/index.html for links to pix.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 5th 05, 06:11 AM
W P Dixon

heard on Fox that the float plane made it and landed safely(no fatalities),
the other plane all on board lost.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old August 5th 05, 04:14 PM
Flyingmonk

Woah! That's sad...

Bryan "The monk" Chaisone

Old August 5th 05, 05:35 PM
Bob Gardner

It was over Renton, not Seattle...in the pattern, east of the airport.
Cessna 150 pilot, apparently with the sun in his eyes, hit the floats of a
float plane on downwind and knocked them about 30 degrees out of alignment.
150 went straight into an empty school; float plane pilot, a very
experienced flight instructor and 135 pilot, opted against a water landing
and put it on the grass. Anyone who has driven/flown into the sun knows that
"unlimited visibility" shrinks down to zero under those conditions.

Tower-controlled airport, BTW. A contract tower, not an FAA tower.

Bob Gardner

Old August 5th 05, 06:05 PM
Andrew Gideon

Bob Gardner wrote:

150 went straight into an empty school

That's going to cost us.

Anyone who has driven/flown into the sun
knows that "unlimited visibility" shrinks down to zero under those
conditions.

Tower-controlled airport, BTW. A contract tower, not an FAA tower.

I hear complaints about the tower at my "home" airport, and I've made a few
of them myself. But I seem to recall once when they shifted the active to
permit us to avoid that problem as much as possible.

- Andrew

Old August 5th 05, 06:07 PM
Dan Foster

In article , Bob Gardner wrote:

Tower-controlled airport, BTW. A contract tower, not an FAA tower.

I have to ask, just out of curiosity... does that make any particular
difference or is of any noteworthy mention, other than what agency
directly signs the employees' paychecks?

-Dan
Old August 5th 05, 06:08 PM

Oh, Boy and this is rainy Seattle. Makes the M..gs closure look sounder
every day.
Uncle Bobby RIP.

And that was SPLAT into a SCHOOL BUILDING.

Polarized sunglasses anyone?

JG

Old August 5th 05, 06:54 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

See http://www.kirotv.com/index.html for links to pix.

Well, that reporter seems to know his or her stuff.

George Patterson
Old August 5th 05, 07:15 PM
Bob Gardner

Oh yeah. We had 0.7 inches of rain in July, and none since the first of
August...the next week or ten days are forecast to be dry, too.

Bob Gardner

ups.com...