evaluating aircraft

Old January 10th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default evaluating aircraft

Guys, thanks in advance for your help on this one. My airplane was lost in
Katrina (more on that later), and I am looking at buying a quarter share of
a local plane. I am trying to get a decent idea of the valuation of the
aircraft, which is a '79 Archer II. I have run the numbers on both the
National Aircraft Appraiser Association (NAAA) through Trade-a-Plane and the
AOPA's website, Vref. The NAAA is much more thorough, allowing you to
define each avionic, specify damage history, exact times for engine and
prop. The Vref is much less comprehensive. The results are vastly different.
The NAAA values the airplane at $61K while Vref values it at $73K. I didn't
expect them to be exactly the same, but that is a huge difference. I suspect
that the true market value is somewhere in between, but where? Any ideas?

Old January 10th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("GE" wrote)
The NAAA values the airplane at $61K while Vref values it at $73K. I
didn't expect them to be exactly the same, but that is a huge difference.
I suspect that the true market value is somewhere in between, but where?
Any ideas?

Offer $58K. You'll find out in a hurry if that's the real 'true market
value' or not.

That's 20% below the high value and 5% below the low value. You're in the
ballpark.

Montblack

Old January 10th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

GE wrote:
Guys, thanks in advance for your help on this one. My airplane was lost in
Katrina (more on that later), and I am looking at buying a quarter share of
a local plane. I am trying to get a decent idea of the valuation of the
aircraft, which is a '79 Archer II. I have run the numbers on both the
National Aircraft Appraiser Association (NAAA) through Trade-a-Plane and the
AOPA's website, Vref. The NAAA is much more thorough, allowing you to
define each avionic, specify damage history, exact times for engine and
prop. The Vref is much less comprehensive. The results are vastly different.
The NAAA values the airplane at $61K while Vref values it at $73K. I didn't
expect them to be exactly the same, but that is a huge difference. I suspect
that the true market value is somewhere in between, but where? Any ideas?

(1.) If you've never been in a 4-way partnership, be warned that you need to get
4-way consensus on all major decisions, which can take time and be troublesome.
Also with that many people involved, it increases the probability that all will
not have the same objectives, like whether to minimize maintenance expense by
deferring maintenance until enough squawks build up to justify ferrying the
plane to another field where the cheap fixer lives, or fix each squawk as it
comes up, even if it means paying more to keep the plane continuously
dispatchable and squawk-free. You can probably guess how I know this. Know your
partners.

(2.) Spend ~$20 at http://www.aeroprice.com for an email evaluation. I have no
vested interest, just a happy customer.

Dave
Old January 10th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"GE" wrote:

The NAAA values the airplane at $61K while Vref values it at $73K. I didn't
expect them to be exactly the same, but that is a huge difference. I suspect
that the true market value is somewhere in between, but where? Any ideas?

I feel that vref is usually way too high for such aircraft. I know it pegs my
cherokee 140 at way over $50,000 and I just don't think my own airplane
is worth that much. The NAAA number looks reasonable (assuming relatively
high time engine and airframe).

--
Bob Noel
New NHL? what a joke

Old January 10th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The email website evaluators can only do so much. If you need to know
the real value of the aircraft and you want it to be accurate, you
should get a live aircraft appraiser to come out and prepare an
appraisal. It'll cost a bit more than the web and email things, but it
will also give you the value of THAT airplane, not an average of all the
others that are similar in one or more ways
Old January 11th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The TAP NAAA evaluator is supposed to give you an asking price in TAP.
Planes TYPICALLY sell for less than that now, as the market is soft.
Also, a valid comparision would be to compare the NUMBER of Archers in
TAP now, as compared to some time(s) ago, as this would give a TREND
(more now than yesterday means declining prices, because more are
trying to sell).

You will NEVER get a precisely accurate appraisal on ANYTHING because
each sale is different and the volume of aircraft is low, so low
liquidity. At best, you get an estimate. Most appraisals are higher
than actual sale.

Also, you might look in Ebay, under the transactions completed. Ebay
prices tend to be low, but if there are some Archers in there it does
give you some information.

Also, for partnerships, there MAY be value in the partnership itself,
above and beyond the plane. Is there a maintenance fund? If so, then
1/4 of that will become yours? So that would be included. Also, the
fact that there is an existing partners, existing maintenance procedure
and partnership paperwork is not trivial, and does contain value. And
of course you need to evaluate the quality of your partners (can they
pay their bills etc).

Old January 11th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doug wrote:
snip

Also, for partnerships, there MAY be value in the partnership itself,
above and beyond the plane. Is there a maintenance fund? If so, then
1/4 of that will become yours? So that would be included. Also, the
fact that there is an existing partners, existing maintenance procedure
and partnership paperwork is not trivial, and does contain value. And
of course you need to evaluate the quality of your partners (can they
pay their bills etc).

A partnership can also be a value negative. The seller is restricted to a local
market, whereas if he were selling the entire plane, he would have a national or
worldwide market.

Dave
Old January 11th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

GE wrote:
Guys, thanks in advance for your help on this one. My airplane was lost in
Katrina (more on that later), and I am looking at buying a quarter share of
a local plane. I am trying to get a decent idea of the valuation of the
aircraft, which is a '79 Archer II. I have run the numbers on both the
National Aircraft Appraiser Association (NAAA) through Trade-a-Plane and the
AOPA's website, Vref. The NAAA is much more thorough, allowing you to
define each avionic, specify damage history, exact times for engine and
prop. The Vref is much less comprehensive. The results are vastly different.
The NAAA values the airplane at $61K while Vref values it at $73K. I didn't
expect them to be exactly the same, but that is a huge difference. I suspect
that the true market value is somewhere in between, but where? Any ideas?

I've found that about halfway between what Vref and Trade a Plane show
is usually the market value.
Old January 12th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Otis Winslow wrote:
: I've found that about halfway between what Vref and Trade a Plane show
: is usually the market value.

My airplane is for sale at a price less than T-A-P and 15% less than
Vref with exactly zero interest from buyers.
--
Aaron C.
Old January 12th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Aaron Coolidge wrote:

My airplane is for sale at a price less than T-A-P and 15% less than
Vref with exactly zero interest from buyers.

What kind of aircraft?

--
Peter