Renting near Washington, DC

Old July 21st 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
the price

Default Renting near Washington, DC

I recently moved to Washington, DC (to DC proper) from Georgia to start
a new job. Since I was really busy with school last year, I let my BFR
and Instrument currency lapse late last year! :-(

Now that I might have some free time and a little extra money, I was
wondering if there was a good rental place in the area where I could do
a BFR, maybe an IPC, and then rent aircraft for trips within the area?
To give an indication of what I'd be interested in, most of my
experience has been in Cessna 172s, Piper Warriors and Archers.
However, I had recently checked out in a Diamond Eclipse and was
enjoying that as well and wouldn't mind flying those as well.

I have no experience flying within the ADIZ / No-Fly area, so I'm sure
thats a factor in what airport is the best to fly out of.

I'd appreciate any pointers to nearby flight schools or clubs,
especially if any of you have positive experiences with them.

Thanks for any assistance!

Old July 21st 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brad[_1_]

Where in the city are you? Manassas (HEF), Leesburg (JYO) and
Gaithersburg (GAI) are outside the FRZ but still under the ADIZ and
have rental possibilities. If you're more comitted, I know of at least
two flying clubs at GAI: www.octopusflyingclub.com and
www.innflyingclub.com.

If you don't don't mind getting the required background checks in order
to operate out of the FRZ, College Park (CGS), Potomac Airfield (VKX)
and Hyde (W32) have options as well. CGS is also within walking
distance of a metro station.

Old July 22nd 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
the price

Thanks for the pointers, I'll definately be looking into these options.
I'm currently living in Foggy Bottom, and I have access to a car.

I haven't looked into the details regarding the background check, but
if that opens up more options I'd be willing to go forward with it too.

Old July 22nd 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T[_2_]

"the price" wrote in message
ups.com

I'd appreciate any pointers to nearby flight schools or clubs,
especially if any of you have positive experiences with them.

As Brad mentioned, your location in the area affects your airport and rental
choices.

In Virginia, Manassas (KHEF) and Leesburg (KJYO) are the closest to the city
and are the busiest and second busiest GA airports in Virginia,
respectively. Manassas has two runways, a control tower and ILS approach.
Leesburg is untowered, has one runway, localizer and GPS approaches.

Aviation Adventures (http://www.aviationadventures.com/) operates from
both locations. Av-Ed (http://www.av-ed.com/) operates from Leesburg and
Winchester (KOKV). Winchester is outside the ADIZ, but it's about an hour's
drive west from Leesburg.

In Maryland, starting from the North you have Gaithersburg (KGAI),
Tipton/Fort Meade (KFME), Freeway (W00) and Indian Head/Maryland (2W5). If
the Flight Restricted Zone doesn't scare you, you also have Potomac (KVKX)
and Hyde (W32). I'm sure the folks at Potomac and Hyde would love the
business, if those are convenient for you, but I don't any rental details
for the Maryland airports.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/TknoFlyer

Old July 22nd 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brad[_1_]

the price wrote:
[...]

HEF and JYO are probably your best options. I live near McPherson
Square and work in Rosslyn. I am starting to do some flying out of
Hyde (W32), but I really cannot comment on the rental situation as I
have not rented there. Both Potomac and Hyde are the closest to the
city (about 17 miles, 30min-1hr depending on traffic).

Old July 29th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

John T wrote:

Aviation Adventures (http://www.aviationadventures.com/) operates from
both locations. Av-Ed (http://www.av-ed.com/) operates from Leesburg and
Winchester (KOKV).

There are a number of operations at Manassas. Adventures is at sort
of the bottom of the list in my opinion. There is also Manassas
Air Center and Dulles Aviation.