KitPlanes - Home Page by Ron Wanttaja

Old August 11th 03, 04:01 AM
James Taylor

Actually, FrontPage 2000 and 2002 are fine for professioanl level stuff as
long as you;
1.) Set the defaults to not have FP change your code
2.) Check your code to make sure it is compliant with whatever spec you
declare at the top of your code base at W3C
3.) tweak the little things like META TAGS, title and margin tags

We have used FP for 7 years and have built sites for some fortune 100
companies with it. You need to know HTML to know what to fine tune but FP
is fine for those who understand it.

ALSO, never use frames if you want to rank well in any of the search
engines. Frames and iframes break search engine spiders and iframes still
don't work in Netscape.

IF you check your server logs, you are probably looking at about 2% Netscape
usage and about 87% Internet Explorer. Desiging for Netscape is moot point
nowadays unless you KNOW you have clients on it or are building a general
shopping cart application.

From an SEO standpoint, (if you want to be found in the search engines) keep
your code clean and up to W3C standards, no matter what editor you use,
build great content and get as many in-bound links as you can.

James Taylor
CEO
ww.AICompany.com

---

Old August 11th 03, 08:00 AM
Corrie

Roger Halstead wrote in message . ..

Never create one in Front Page. It creates huge files of bloat code
and adds about 3 to 5 pages of definitions at the beginning.

I only used composer a couple of times and it took several days to get
the page back to normal, but FP is bad and saving in HTML from a Word
doc is worse.

No screamin'. I did a test once - saving a single unformatted
sentence from Word as HTML yielded about thirty lines of code. A
couple of years ago I redid a site that had been done in FP
(http://www.hoffmanguitars.com/). I essentially started over rather
than try to salvage the FP files. Personally, I prefer Macromedia
Dreamweaver. It rarely gets clever and tries to read your mind the
way MS products do.

Corrie - doing this for a living since 1993.
Old August 11th 03, 11:02 AM
Richard Lamb

Corrie wrote:

Scott wrote in message ...
Ha! REAL REAL Men write in Machine Language! We don't need no stinkin'
mnemonics!!

C9 22 FF E0 10 1C ...

=

Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com
Building RV-4
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die!

Richard Lamb wrote:

Balderdash!
Real men write in Assembly!

My dad was a senior systems engineer for IBM. He used to debug VMS by
dumping core to the line printer and reading the hex...

Being second-generation, I cut my teeth on FORTRAN. Then
minicomputers came along and I learned a little assembler - you needed
it with CP/M. But I've forgotten most of it, just a few mnemonics:

PD - punch disk
PDO - punch disk operator
FCM - flush core memory
DEO - do everything over

Corrie

The early apples reputedly had a HCF instruction.
Halt and Catch Fire.
Which it would do!
Old August 11th 03, 01:40 PM
Barnyard BOb --

The fix, for you, is to
update to a current web browser. I recommend Mozilla. Mozilla is the
browser upon which the latest Netscape is based. With Mozilla, you'll
get the best browser sans the commercial trappings of its Netscape
derivative. Once you've experience the tabbed browsing features of
Mozilla, you'll never look back. A Mozilla hint: Set preferences so
that your middle mouse button (mouse wheel depress) opens a new tab in
Mozilla when clicked on a link. Also, set preferences to load new
tabs in the background. Another great feature in Mozilla is pop-up
control, either globally or on a per-site basis. Don't like that
pop-up? Simple, right click it and select "Disallow pop-ups from this
site". Mozilla rocks.

Don't let the mozilla web site confuse you, it's geared towards
programmers and offers ancillary programs that you don't need. All
you need is the latest stable release of Mozilla for your platform
(Mozilla 1.4 as of this post). Look in the upper left hand corner for
the correct download link.

http://www.mozilla.org

David O -- http://www.AirplaneZone.com

Dave,

Mozilla.... ROCKS?

I've been "Netscaping" for years, although
I've kept Mozilla handy - just in case.
Not sure why I never did the opposite.
Old habits die hard?

Given your expert recommendation...
Mozilla is my new default browser.

Barnyard BOb - Tastes great while less filling
Old August 11th 03, 02:24 PM
Warren & Nancy

Thanks to you and Roger.

David O wrote:

Warren & Nancy wrote:

All right you computer guys! Why is it that there are more and more web sites that
Netscape can't read? How are they programming, and why?

Damn, it's frustrating!

Warren

HTML is an evolving specification. What your old browser knows of
HTML 4.01 and style sheets is likely wrong and/or incomplete, hence
the poor rendering. Style sheets are here to stay -- they obviate the
need for much of the formatting that litters older HTML code. As more
web programmers migrate to the new specification, more web pages will
fail to render correctly in older browsers. The fix, for you, is to

Old August 11th 03, 02:45 PM
RobertR237

In article , Roger Halstead
writes:

Ever since having been a customer of AOL way back in the early days
I've had an aversions to anything with the letters AOL in it. However
It sounds like it might be worthwhile investigating.

Not that Word and FP don't create nice looking and functional pages.
They do. It's just they use about five times as much resources than
what are needed. Plus the source code is difficult to read as much of
it is calls.

Thanks, Bob,

I understand you aversion to AOL and had it not been for the fact that AOL was
so readily available anywhere that I traveled I would have dropped it long ago
too. As it turns out now, I am having less problems with it than my daughter
has had with a half dozen different suppliers she has tried.

As far a the AOLPRESS product is concerned, it was an early attempt by AOL to
make creation of home pages easy for their users. I don't know why they
decided to not continue support but the product is still available and works
well. I use it to maintain my own web page because I feel that I spend too
much time on the web site anyway and don't want to spend even more.

The only hitch I have found is that the JPG photos produced by most digital
cameras must be edited and saved before they can be used in your web page.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old August 11th 03, 04:30 PM
John Ousterhout

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 07:28:12 -0700, Ed Wischmeyer
wrote:

XP! - excecute programmer immediate

NEW ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE COMMANDS

AAR alter at random
ABW add backwards
AFV add finagle's variable constant
AWT assemble with tinker toys
BAC branch to alpha centauri
BAF blow all fuses
BCI branch creating infinite loop
BDC break down and cry
BFR belch fire
BDT burn data tree
BRG burn registers
BWM branch on whim
CHV create havoc
CMD compare meaningless data
CML compute meaning of life
COL crash for operator's lunch break
CRS continue running after stop or halt
CSL curse and swear loudly
CVG convert to garbage
DBU destroy backup
DBZ divide by zero
DDC dally during calculations
DMR dump memory to russians
DOC drive operator crazy
DLN don't look now...
DPI define pi
DPR destroy program
DSF destroy source file
DTC destroy this command
DTV destroy third variable from left
DWD destroy world (global thermonuclear war)
EAD erase all disks
ECO electrocute computer operator
EIA execute in any order
ENF emit noxious fumes
FLI flash lights impressively
FSM fold spindle and mutilate
GCA get correct answer regardless (must be followed by SCCA)
HCF halt and catch fire
HIB hang innocent bystander
HOP hang operator
ISC insert sarcastic comments
JTZ jump to twilight zone
LPA lead programmer astray
MAZ multiply answer by zero
MWT malfunction without telling
OML obey murphy's laws
PHC punch extra holes in cards
PNR print nasty replies to programmer
RAN randomize answer
RCB read commands backwards
RDA refuse to disclose answer
RLI rotate left indefinitely
RPM read programmer's mind
SAI skip all instructions
SCC short circuit on correct answer
SFH set flags to half mast
SRD shift right, double rediculous
TAW trash always
TEV trash everything
TLO turn indicator lights off
TPD tell programmer to do it him/herself
TSR trash and stay resident
TTA try, try again
WSW work in strange and wondrous ways

Check out "A Real Programmer, The Story of Mel" on my web page. Note
the 'created with' icon at the bottom of the page. (Roger, you can
review my html code)

- John (terse code) Ousterhout -
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ousterj/

Old August 11th 03, 04:41 PM
Ron Natalie

wrote:

XP! - excecute programmer immediate

NEW ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE COMMANDS

You're missing the infamous HCF...Halt and Catch Fire instruction.

A friend of mine went to a new startup called "CatchFire Systems." He
swears it's only coincidentally related to HCF.

Of course, the other fun one was the new UNIX errno value:

ELECTROLUX ... Your code needs cleaning up.

Old August 11th 03, 05:51 PM
Robert Bonomi

Richard Lamb wrote:

Balderdash!
Real men write in Assembly!

My dad was a senior systems engineer for IBM. He used to debug VMS by
dumping core to the line printer and reading the hex...

Being second-generation, I cut my teeth on FORTRAN. Then
minicomputers came along and I learned a little assembler - you needed
it with CP/M. But I've forgotten most of it, just a few mnemonics:

PD - punch disk
PDO - punch disk operator
FCM - flush core memory
DEO - do everything over

From the late 60s/ early 70s, the "IBM OVER-EXTENDED MNEMONICS" list included:

HCF halt and catch fire
BCEG Branch on CE grounded
BBBO Branch on bit-bucket overflow
BBBB branch and bite baudy bit
BLRA branch and lose return address
BRL Branch to random location

CRN convert to roman numerals
TPD triple pack decimal

ROM read operator's mind (*NEVER* implemented)

BCP backspace card punch
RLP rewind line printer
SLP sharpen light pen

PC punch card
PT punch tape
PO punch operator

FSRA Form skip and runaway

There were a couple of _hundred_ such on the 'over-extended mnemonics'list.
These ar a handfull from memory, from not having seen the actual list ins 20+
years.

Old August 11th 03, 06:01 PM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Ron Natalie wrote:

"John Ousterhout"
wrote in
message
.. .
wrote:

XP! - excecute programmer immediate

NEW ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE COMMANDS

You're missing the infamous HCF...Halt and Catch Fire instruction.

A friend of mine went to a new startup called "CatchFire Systems." He
swears it's only coincidentally related to HCF.

Of course, the other fun one was the new UNIX errno value:

ELECTROLUX ... Your code needs cleaning up.

a few others:

EFLAT ... file system needs tuning

EEEEEEEE ... speaker too close to microphone.

EIEIO ... "Bug, bug, here, bug, bug, there,
here a bug, there a bug....."

I was there, _at_ that conference where the "invent an error message" contest
was held, that all these came from.

The winner, by acclamation -- *after* it was explained to the Brits that
threw it out in the preliminary judging -- was:

EMR_ED "A host is a host,
from coast to coast,
And no one will talk to
a host that's close.
Unless, of course,
the host that isn't close,
is either down, or hung, or dead."

It got a _standing_ovation_ from the entire room of 1000+ techies, when it
was read.