3 Misawa pilots get Distinguished Flying Cross

Old December 6th 03, 12:23 AM
Otis Willie

Default 3 Misawa pilots get Distinguished Flying Cross

3 Misawa pilots get Distinguished Flying Cross

(EXCERPT) , By Jennifer H. Svan, Stars and Stripes Pacific edition,
Saturday, December 6, 2003

MISAWA AIR BASE, Japan — A medical condition once dashed Capt. Melissa
May’s dream of becoming an Air Force pilot.

Undeterred, May sought and received a medical waiver to attend pilot
training school several years after graduating from the Air Force
Academy in 1995.

Recently, May was among three F-16 pilots from Misawa’s 14th Fighter
Squadron awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for their achievements
during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

For the 30-year-old May, the medal validates that she belongs in the
elite group of Air Force fighter pilots.

“I never thought that ever in my life I would be flying fighters in a
war and getting rewarded for it,” she sai...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 05 Dec 2003, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?...&article=19095

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com
Old December 6th 03, 06:16 PM
user

So Capt. Melissa May in her own words was "rewarded" the
DSF.....interesting.

Old December 7th 03, 08:12 AM
Juvat

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police user
blurted out:

So Capt. Melissa May in her own words was "rewarded" the
DSF.....interesting.

The pedant would reply , it's the DFC and she actually said..."I never
thought that ever in my life I would be flying fighters in a war and
getting rewarded for it."

In this case, "it" refers to flying fighters, not the DFC.

Yes/No?

Juvat

Old December 7th 03, 12:36 PM
Thomas Schoene

user wrote:
So Capt. Melissa May in her own words was "rewarded" the
DSF.....interesting.

Taken horribly out of context.

She may well be talking about getting a paycheck, as in the usual pilot's
comment
"and they actually pay us to do this stuff!"

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old December 7th 03, 03:49 PM

Juvat wrote:

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police user
blurted out:

So Capt. Melissa May in her own words was "rewarded" the
DSF.....interesting.

The pedant would reply , it's the DFC and she actually said..."I never
thought that ever in my life I would be flying fighters in a war and
getting rewarded for it."

In this case, "it" refers to flying fighters, not the DFC.

Yes/No?

Juvat

Dunno about that...she's saying that "she was rewarded for flying
fighters by being awarded the DFC" so isn't the reward the
DFC?...and isn't she rewarded the DFC?...good golly miss
molly...what a tangled web we weave...my head hurts...
--

-Gord.
Old December 7th 03, 09:35 PM
R Haskin

"user" wrote in message
So Capt. Melissa May in her own words was "rewarded" the
DSF.....interesting

Hey, LOOK everybody! Here's yet another opportunity to roll in on someone
for the terminology in which they refer to the award of a medal! Because
they used a term like "rewarded," or "earned," or "won," it *obviously*
means that they don't deserve it, right?!

Old December 7th 03, 10:39 PM
Cub Driver

What in hell are you people nattering about now?

Is this supposed to be a reprise of the Jessica Lynch thread(s)?

What is the problem? Are you upset that a woman gets the DFC? Why is
that? Are you equally upset that officers get medals when enlisted men
don't?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 8th 03, 12:21 AM

Cub Driver wrote:

What in hell are you people nattering about now?

Is this supposed to be a reprise of the Jessica Lynch thread(s)?

What is the problem? Are you upset that a woman gets the DFC? Why is
that? Are you equally upset that officers get medals when enlisted men
don't?

Course not Dan, just playing with words...no harm meant...what
else we supposed to do on a stormy Sunday?..
--

-Gord.
Old December 8th 03, 02:47 AM
Juvat

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, Cub Driver
blurted out:

What in hell are you people nattering about now?

Ummm Mr Ford, respectfully, honestly...are you OK? I mean medically,
is everything OK?

Is this supposed to be a reprise of the Jessica Lynch thread(s)?

I'm pretty sure that you started one of those NON-aviation related
dialogues. And now you're comparing those discussions to a thread
about a real fighter pilot (that'd be military aviation related unlike
your foray into the Jessica Lynch territory).

What is the problem? Are you upset that a woman gets the DFC? Why is
that? Are you equally upset that officers get medals when enlisted men
don't?

Not me...I think girl fighter pilots ROCK.

Juvat