Late BFR

Old March 24th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Anonymous coward #673

Default Late BFR

I fly through an organization that requires a proficiency check ride
every six months. As a result I somehow got it into my head that I
didn't need to worry about BFR's any more. But today my instructor
reminded me that a BFR requires an hour of ground instruction, so
technically I have not completed a BFR for (as it turns out) more than
two years (though I have received considerably more recurrent in-flight
training than the regs require). My log book now contains entries for
numerous flights conducted (inadvertently) in violation of FAR61.56.

My question to the group: what is the best way to handle this situation?
Obviously I am going to get my hour of ground instruction ASAP, but what
about all those flights that I've already logged? Should I file an ASRS
form? Call up the local FSDO and confess? Scribble out all those log
entries? Deduct the hours on those illegal flights from my PIC time?
Bribe my flight instructor to back-date my BFR? Or should I just not
worry about it and hope they don't haul my ass to Gitmo for falsifying
my log book?
Old March 24th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

"Anonymous coward #673" wrote in message
Scribble out all those log entries?

Buy a new log book and start it with the BFR. Put the old one in a safe
place.

Old March 24th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
601XL Builder

Steve Foley wrote:
"Anonymous coward #673" wrote in message
Scribble out all those log entries?

Buy a new log book and start it with the BFR. Put the old one in a safe
place.

It couldn't hurt to complete a NASA for could it? Would the protections
apply in a case like this?
Old March 25th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

601XL Builder wrote:
Steve Foley wrote:
"Anonymous coward #673" wrote in message
Scribble out all those log entries?

Buy a new log book and start it with the BFR. Put the old one in a
safe place.

It couldn't hurt to complete a NASA for could it?

It might, because filing an ASRS bars you from filing another one for
something like a year.

Would the protections
apply in a case like this?

Old March 25th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Mar 25, 12:48 pm, Stubby
wrote:
601XL Builder wrote:
Steve Foley wrote:
"Anonymous coward #673" wrote in message
Scribble out all those log entries?

Buy a new log book and start it with the BFR. Put the old one in a
safe place.

It couldn't hurt to complete a NASA for could it?

It might, because filing an ASRS bars you from filing another one for
something like a year.

You can file as many as you want, but you only qualify for one
immunity every five years. Simply filing an ASRS does not mean you are
using up that one chance. The FAA must come after you for the
violation, using information other than the ASRS itself. Also,
remember that not all ASRS involve a violation. Some are simply
informational or whistle blowers.

Old March 26th 07, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
On Mar 25, 12:48 pm, Stubby
wrote:
601XL Builder wrote:
Steve Foley wrote:
"Anonymous coward #673" wrote in message
Scribble out all those log entries?
Buy a new log book and start it with the BFR. Put the old one in a
safe place.
It couldn't hurt to complete a NASA for could it?

It might, because filing an ASRS bars you from filing another one for
something like a year.

You can file as many as you want, but you only qualify for one
immunity every five years. Simply filing an ASRS does not mean you are
using up that one chance. The FAA must come after you for the
violation, using information other than the ASRS itself. Also,
remember that not all ASRS involve a violation. Some are simply
informational or whistle blowers.

It doesn't even work that way. First off you get immunity (the
info on the form can't be used against you) for each submission.

The every five year thing is the part where the FAA will forgive
enforcement action if you file an ASRS and you haven't another
previous violation in the past five years. The 5-year thing
runs regardless of whether you've used the ASRS get out of free
thing for a previous violation. That is, it's not possible
to "save it up" for a bigger violation.
Old March 26th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 3/25/2007 2:21:50 PM, "Andrew Sarangan" wrote:

Also,
remember that not all ASRS involve a violation. Some are simply
informational or whistle blowers.

Some point out potential safety issues as well (not sure if you included that
in your "informational" definition or not).

Two years ago I filed one to point out that two different, but nearby active
airports shared the same AWOS frequency. When flying to the further airport
from the east, the closer airport's AWOS stepped all over the further
airport's AWOS and it was impossible to receive current weather until about
15 to 20 nm, or about 6 to 8 minutes east of the further airport. Not a big
deal if conditions were benign VFR, but this was an issue when conditions
were low and windy IFR, since the pilot had to scramble to decide and then
set up the desired approach.

Never heard a word back from this report and both airports still share the
same AWOS frequency two years later, so a lot of good that did.

--
Peter
Old March 26th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

You can file a NASA report every day for every flight leg.
But you can only use one to end an FAA enforcement action
once each five years. You don't bring up the NASA report
and your proof of timely filing until the FAA completes an
investigation and says, you have a 9 month suspension or a
$25,000 fine, then you present your NASA slip.

"Stubby" wrote in
message . ..

Old March 24th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

Getting the ground instruction is only part of it...you needed specific
endorsements each time a BFR came due. Right now, you can't act as PIC until
you get the full treatment, ground plus air plus endorsement.

As far as the past is concerned, it is past (duh). Forget about it.

Bob Gardner

Old March 24th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Dunno what to do about the past, but for the future, consider doing the
Wings program. It may be that the flights you already take would count,
and all you need for ground is to attend one of the safety seminars.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

Too late to be a pilot? Fuzz Piloting 12 May 12th 04 02:30 AM
Sun N Fun Pix -- Better Late than Never! Jay Honeck Piloting 40 May 11th 04 12:52 PM
OSH 2003 Pix -- better late than never? Jay Honeck Home Built 11 September 13th 03 10:22 PM
OSH 2003 Pix -- better late than never? Jay Honeck Owning 11 September 13th 03 10:22 PM
OSH 2003 Pix -- better late than never? Jay Honeck Piloting 11 September 13th 03 10:22 PM