A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Video of Powerflarm brick in action

Old August 30th 12, 07:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

Default Video of Powerflarm brick in action

Courtesy of Peter Kelly. The action starts at 2:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwj6DA8OITU

Ramy
Old August 30th 12, 10:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

have you demo like this on lift with no 30, but ~10 gliders? flarm is good sometimes very good, but save feeling cause dangerous ...
Old August 30th 12, 12:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Aug 30, 2:30*am, Ramy wrote:
Courtesy of Peter Kelly. The action starts at 2:00http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwj6DA8OITU

Ramy

I curious about his antenna placement. Is PK non-carbon?
QT
Old August 31st 12, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:43:58 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
On Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:50:31 AM UTC-7, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:

On Aug 30, 2:30*am, Ramy wrote:

Courtesy of Peter Kelly. The action starts at 2:00http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwj6DA8OITU

Ramy

I curious about his antenna placement. Is PK non-carbon?

QT

PK is an ASH 26E with a PowerFlarm Brick installed. The nose of the ASH 26 is glass and aramid fiber. The Flarm A and ADS-b di-pole antennas are attached to the fuselage skin in the nose near the rudder pedals with Velcro.

Clean easy install. Seems to have good reception.

Rex

Will this installation work in a 27? I know that the cockpit area below the seat pan is glass since that's where my transponder antenna is, so wonder if there are other suitable places to put the flarm antenna.

Ramy
Old August 31st 12, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Once you install Flarm, are you tempted to fly in formation more often than you did before you installed it?

More generally, how does Flarm change your flying habits and margins?

How did Flarm change flying habits in Europe (or any country that has had Flarm for a some years)?
Old August 31st 12, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

If anything it causes me to keep more distance knowing that otherwise both the other pilot and myself will keep receiving alarms.

Ramy
Old August 31st 12, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K
external usenet poster

Ramy

Ive used a PF portable on a mounting tray that I purchased from Williams Soaring. I am very impressed so far not just the way this picks up glider traffic but the big stuff as well. I was flying a contest at Air Sailing NV and twice while KRNO was landing south there were airliners turning base over Air Sailing. Both times the PF detected these airliners while they were 8 and 16 miles away.
My home field lies under the Class B at KSLC and I am constantly amazed that the PF picks up all the airline traffic. Some of which before it is acquired visually. At a 300KT closure rate this is important! FWIW I use TCAS at work and I really like the PowerFlarm unit and I hope the technology continues to evolve.
Now when are we going to have Logger approval?
Old September 1st 12, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy
external usenet poster

On Friday, August 31, 2012 12:11:43 PM UTC-7, K wrote:

Ramy

Ive used a PF portable on a mounting tray that I purchased from Williams Soaring. I am very impressed so far not just the way this picks up glider traffic but the big stuff as well. I was flying a contest at Air Sailing NV and twice while KRNO was landing south there were airliners turning base over Air Sailing. Both times the PF detected these airliners while they were 8 and 16 miles away.

My home field lies under the Class B at KSLC and I am constantly amazed that the PF picks up all the airline traffic. Some of which before it is acquired visually. At a 300KT closure rate this is important! FWIW I use TCAS at work and I really like the PowerFlarm unit and I hope the technology continues to evolve.

Now when are we going to have Logger approval?

Are you referring to mode C/S or ADS-B? If the later, how did you identify those as ADS-B vs other flarms? So far I can't tell the difference, or perhaps I didnt receive an ADS-B alert yet which will be odd since I fly in the Reno area.

Ramy