FAA 2nd class medical

Old September 26th 05, 02:48 PM
LB

Default FAA 2nd class medical

I'm an antique pilot from the early 60's. I have a P ASEL&S + I ticket. I
have about 3500 hrs with about 600 hrs. actual instrument time. most of the
time is in Mooney's. I want to get back up to speed and go for my Commercial
and CFI. I'm older now and I have slightly higher blood pressure then I did
12 years ago when I stopped flying. I am taking medication for this. Also
years ago equilibrium was tested by standing on one foot but I don't recall
if the eyes had to be closed or not. My medication may be having an effect
because now it's a little harder for me to do that. I can do it easily with
my eyes open. Does anyone know the protocol if one is taking medication for
b/p applying for a 2nd class medical and how equilibrium is tested today?
Thanks for any information
Len

Old September 26th 05, 06:45 PM
Scott Migaldi

LB wrote:
I'm an antique pilot from the early 60's. I have a P ASEL&S + I ticket. I
have about 3500 hrs with about 600 hrs. actual instrument time. most of the
time is in Mooney's. I want to get back up to speed and go for my Commercial
and CFI. I'm older now and I have slightly higher blood pressure then I did
12 years ago when I stopped flying. I am taking medication for this. Also
years ago equilibrium was tested by standing on one foot but I don't recall
if the eyes had to be closed or not. My medication may be having an effect
because now it's a little harder for me to do that. I can do it easily with
my eyes open. Does anyone know the protocol if one is taking medication for
b/p applying for a 2nd class medical and how equilibrium is tested today?
Thanks for any information
Len

Go to the AOPA web site and take the turbo medical before you go to the
AME. Some meds for High BP are not allowed.

But generally you will need a letter from your physician stating what
meds you take, your last 3 BPs, and that you are stable with no sign of
end organ damage, you will need a blood test that includes cholestral
levels and some other things, and you will need an EKG.

I never has been tested for equilibrium for my 2nd class.

Scott

--------------------
Old September 26th 05, 07:05 PM
buttman

you only need a third class medical to get the commercial/CFI ratings.
You only need the 2nd class to "exercise the privelages of the
commercial certificate", but as a CFI you arent paid as a commercial
pilot, so you wouldn't even need a 2nd class.

Old September 26th 05, 08:39 PM
Ron Natalie

LB wrote:
I'm an antique pilot from the early 60's. I have a P ASEL&S + I ticket. I
have about 3500 hrs with about 600 hrs. actual instrument time.

If you're an AOPA member, they can answer these questions for you. I
haven't had any of those acrobatic sorts of tests for quite some time
now, the last three AME's I've had haven't bothered. I've never figured
out what use equillibrium or depth perception is for pilots anyhow.

There are a number of blood pressure medications that are authorized
provided you do not have any untoward side effects. Again, if you
are an AOPA member, there is info on their website in the members
section under MEDICAL.

By the way, a second class medical is not required to get either the
commercial or the CFI, nor to use the CFI certificate. All you need
is a third. You only need the 2nd if you are going to use the privs
of a commercial certificate.
Old September 27th 05, 03:11 AM
Robert Bates

It's my understanding that you must have a second class medical if you will
be the pilot in command of the training flight. If you fly with a:
1. non rated student
2. non current pilot

As far as the high blood pressure, I have a couple of older friends that
have run into this and they have had only to jump through a couple of extra
hoops to pass but didn't have any problems. One mentioned something about
showing three previous in limits blood pressure reading from their personal
doctors.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

Old September 27th 05, 04:16 AM
buttman

You only need a 3rd class to act as PIC, training flight or not.

The only time 2nd class is needed is when the flight is for
compensation or hire, but excludes any flight excercising privileges of
a CFI certificate. At least thats my understanding.

Old September 27th 05, 10:06 AM
Sylvain

Robert Bates wrote:
It's my understanding that you must have a second class medical if you will
be the pilot in command of the training flight. If you fly with a:
1. non rated student
2. non current pilot

your understanding is wrong I am afraid, but it is indeed
a common misconception; All you need in both cases that you
are mentioning is a class-III medical, the class-II allows
you to exercise the privileges of commercial pilot, and
not that of a CFI.

Actually, if your student is already rated and current, i.e.,
can act as PIC, you do not even need a medical certificate
at all -- see 14 CFR 61.3(c)(2)(viii).

You'll find an explanation about it in the often cited
part 61 FAQ. You might also want to google similar threads
on rec.aviation.* newsgroups as this comes up every so often;

--Sylvain
Old September 27th 05, 03:22 PM
LB

OK fellas! Thanks for your help! I took my commercial written a long time
ago but never did take the flight check. I did it just to see if I could
pass it. Now I'm regretting it. I'm off to get a set of trifocals and then
my medical. If you see a 60 yr. old antique pilot nodding his head to read
something it may be me. I hope there's some room for a 3500 hr 60 yr old
instructor out there!
Len

Old September 27th 05, 11:01 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 02:06:43 -0700, Sylvain wrote:

Actually, if your student is already rated and current, i.e.,
can act as PIC, you do not even need a medical certificate
at all -- see 14 CFR 61.3(c)(2)(viii).

The CFI would still need to have a medical certificate if the "rated and
current" PIC student is "under the hood" (14 CFR 91.109(b). In that case,
the required safety pilot is a required flight crew member and the
exception in 14 CFR 61.3(c)(2)(viii) would not apply.