Early Bonanza or Apache?

Old July 12th 03, 02:52 AM

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 18:44:23 -0500, Justin Case
wrote:

Sorry but I must discount Patrick's entire post as he seems like an
owner that assists by writing a check. Once you start that process,
it never ends and one loses touch with reality.

Sorry, but it's even scarier than that...

HE'S THE MECHANIC !! (insert "Psycho" soundbite here)

TC

Old July 16th 03, 06:01 PM
Brinks

Thanks for all the good info! I appreciate the time everyone took to
respond!

Chris

"Brinks" wrote in message
We've been out shopping for an early model Bonanza, and in the process I
went and looked at an Apache that happened to be at the same airport as

the
Bo I was looking at. The guy selling it was thinking that the Apache was
probably as inexpensive to own as the Bonanza. Here's his reasons:

1) Apache has two Lycoming O-320 engines that go 2000 hours without a lot

of
maintenance. The Bonanza has an E-225 that goes 1500 hours and usually
needs cylinder work along the way.

2) The Bonanza parts are expensive, Piper parts are less so.

3) The annuals will be comparable (He thought an Apache annual would be
about $1200, which I think is a little low)

4) Fuel burn in the Apache is about 16 gallons / hour, but the Bonanza is
going to burn about 13 gallons / hour, so 3 gallons / hour isn't that

much.

5) The props on the Apache are better / less expensive to maintain than
either the Beech 215 electric prop or the hydraulic props on the Bonanzas.

So I've been doing some research on the Bonanzas and have a relatively

good
feel for them (joined the ABS, talked to a lot of people, stuff like that)
but I don't know much about Apaches. What say the group? Are Apaches a
viable alternative to an early Bonanza, or will maintenance eat you alive?
Or, will it be comparable to owning a Bonanza? Any information is greatly
appreciated! Thanks!

Chris