GPS Rentals

Old June 13th 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

Default GPS Rentals

For me, the up front and ongoing costs of an XM weather equipped handheld
GPS put it on the wrong side of the value curve. I simply don't do enough
long X/C's to justify (ok, to rationalize) spending that kind of money.

But, if I could rent one for $50/day or $200/wk, that might make sense for
the couple of times a year one would come in handy.

Which brings me to my question: Is anyone renting out these units? I could
see enough demand in midsize or larger markets where rentals might be a
viable business. Shoot, with next day shipping, you could run it as a mail
order/internet business. Just get a credit card number up front as
security..

Old June 13th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Theune

Kyle Boatright wrote:
For me, the up front and ongoing costs of an XM weather equipped handheld
GPS put it on the wrong side of the value curve. I simply don't do enough
long X/C's to justify (ok, to rationalize) spending that kind of money.

But, if I could rent one for $50/day or $200/wk, that might make sense for
the couple of times a year one would come in handy.

Which brings me to my question: Is anyone renting out these units? I could
see enough demand in midsize or larger markets where rentals might be a
viable business. Shoot, with next day shipping, you could run it as a mail
order/internet business. Just get a credit card number up front as
security..

When the 396 first came out someone in the DC area floated the idea but
nothing ever came of it.
Old June 13th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Which brings me to my question: Is anyone renting out these units?

Is it legal to do so? Check the subscription terms. Often these things
prohibit renting. Even Jepp paper charts may not be lent, IIRC.

Jose
--
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that just want to
know what button to push, and those that want to know what happens when
Old June 13th 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

Which brings me to my question: Is anyone renting out these units? I could
see enough demand in midsize or larger markets where rentals might be a
viable business. Shoot, with next day shipping, you could run it as a mail
order/internet business. Just get a credit card number up front as
security..

One problem with renting a fancy GPS with all those extra features is
the learning curve.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old June 13th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
flynrider via AviationKB.com

Bob Noel wrote:

One problem with renting a fancy GPS with all those extra features is
the learning curve.

I think something like the 396/496 should be simple enough for the average
pilot to figure out. Since the big draw for that unit is the satellite data,
one wouldn't have to spend too much time figuring out all of the geewhiz
features.

Actually I don't think this is a bad idea. I got around the problem by
having a friend with a 396 :-) I myself couldn't justify the cost of the
396/496. There just isn't that much weather where I fly.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old June 13th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

Which brings me to my question: Is anyone renting out these units? I
could
see enough demand in midsize or larger markets where rentals might be a
viable business. Shoot, with next day shipping, you could run it as a
mail
order/internet business. Just get a credit card number up front as
security..

One problem with renting a fancy GPS with all those extra features is
the learning curve.

No doubt about that. However, lots of pilots are flying behind lower end
Garmin handhelds, so most of the user interface knowledge should (?)
transfer. Hypothetically, your everyday GPS could be a G196 and your "goin'
places" GPS could be a 396 or 496.

KB

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

SEL rentals in Jamaica? Neil Gould Piloting 0 May 11th 07 07:42 PM
A/C rentals in OKC area? [email protected] Piloting 3 August 25th 05 03:56 AM
Florida Rentals Arnold Sten Piloting 0 December 14th 04 02:13 AM
Rentals in Hawaii? Nathan Young Piloting 10 May 5th 04 01:30 PM
Rentals at BUR Dan Katz Piloting 0 July 19th 03 06:38 PM