VFR "picking his way thru" heavy cells with XM Radio weather

Old June 5th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default VFR "picking his way thru" heavy cells with XM Radio weather

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Peter R. writes:

Not only do I have the tail-id but I also have the exact exchange,
thanks to LiveATC.net's 40-day archive. However, Larry, I am not
going to be the one to report anyone, since IMO this is quite a gray
area. I personally have a very different take on reporting pilots to
the FAA.

You'd prefer that he die in a thunderstorm instead?

For education purposes, though, I thought it might be beneficial to
retrieve and edit the archive files into a short clip (and also
removing the majority of the tail ID so the resulting clip cannot be
used against the pilot) with the relevant content. When I have the
clip, I will post it to a file sharing site and the link to this
thread.

You seem very worried about protecting the pilot--but you're not
protecting him in the right way.

How would you know, fjukkwit?

You don't fly.

Bertie

Old June 5th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Larry Dighera wrote:
Without knowledge of the locations of
the cells, I agree, it's difficult to know just how much danger the
pilot was in, but when he turned south to wait out the weather it
would seem that he'd have to have gone right through them.

Did he turn south into the cells?

But who
knows?

That was exactly my point.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old June 5th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article . com,
Luke Skywalker wrote:

Airline radars are so much better because of power and antenna size
then General Aviation radars...but even they are no match for the
power and resultion of even ATC radars in terms of WX. ATC radars are
air search not so much WX but with modern technology the WX
information can be "used" before it is stripped off for primary target
display.

Robert, I read much of what Dave Gwinn said in his AvWeb podcast in your
post. :-)
Dave also mentions asking the ATC controller to press his "Weather 3"
key and describe the "slashes and H's" along your route.
Old June 6th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Jun 5, 4:31 pm, john smith wrote:

Robert, I read much of what Dave Gwinn said in his AvWeb podcast in your
post. :-)
Dave also mentions asking the ATC controller to press his "Weather 3"
key and describe the "slashes and H's" along your route.

Thank you. I am a pilot by profession and joy but an engineer (and a
military history person) by education....and I am a ham radio
operator...and a RF radar engineer.

"Weather 3" is a good key...the new ASR displays are quite good...and
there is some software coming along which will marry all the Nexrad/
ASR stuff and to do it from a lot of different sites.

I am frequently amazed from a "personal" perspective what happens if
you put a "picture" before someone. It becomes "the almighty truth"
regardless of the limitations of what the picture says. WX
information is just that...

I dont know how many times I have sat with new first officers or
upgrading captains or private pilots in new twins or ones with stuff
like 396's...and they see the picture and have no real idear about
what the limitations are.

I rode shotgun one time with a guy in his new (to him) Cessna 400
series twin and he saw the picture and was buying everything just
right down the line.

All this stuff is good as long as one understands what the "limits"
are...the words of Inspector Calahan seem to hold true..."A man has
got to know his limitations"

Robert

Old June 6th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Carter[_1_]

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
... I hate to think what the ride would be
like only 10 miles from that storm!

No one has mentioned the phenomena where hail is thrown out of the top or
side of the really big CB and may be tossed for miles, and its really not
that uncommon.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

Old June 6th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 17:10:40 -0700, Luke Skywalker
wrote in
. com:

"A man has got to know his limitations"

Or in this case, the limitations of his equipment.
Old June 6th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Jun 5, 8:44 pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 17:10:40 -0700, Luke Skywalker
wrote in
. com:

"A man has got to know his limitations"

Or in this case, the limitations of his equipment.

so true.

I love that scene from Eastwood...The three minutes or so "before" all
the way to the words being spoken is something I recommend for all
pilots...lol

Robert

Old June 6th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 20:26:59 -0500, "Jim Carter"
wrote in
:

No one has mentioned the phenomena where hail is thrown out of the top or
side of the really big CB and may be tossed for miles, and its really not
that uncommon.

I mentioned that I was trained to skirt CBs by 20 miles. Of course,
that is the reason.

It's often difficult to maintain good situational awareness of the
buildups if you are in VMC under a cell's base, or the buildups begin
to merge.

http://www.weather.com/encyclopedia/thunder/hail.html
Hail
Hail is precipitation in the form of a chunk of ice that can fall
from a cumulonimbus cloud. Usually associated with multicell,
supercell and cold front induced squall line thunderstorms, most
hail falls from the central region of a cloud in a severe storm.

Hail begins as tiny ice pellets that collide with water droplets.
The optimum freezing level for the formation of hail is from 8,000
to 10,000 feet.

The water droplets attach themselves to the ice pellets and begin
to freeze as strong updraft winds toss the pellets and droplets
back up into the colder regions of the upper levels of the cloud.
As the attached droplets freeze, the pellets become larger.

Both gravity and downdraft thunderstorm winds pull the pellets
back down, where they encounter more droplets that attach and
freeze as the pellets are thrown, once again, back up through the
cloud.

Hailstones
The more times a hailstone is tossed up and down through the
cloud, the larger the hailstone will be. Hailstones the size of
softballs had many more trips up and down through the cloud than
pea-sized hailstones.

Large hailstones are an indication of powerful updraft and
downdraft winds within a thunderstorm. This is why large hail is
associated with severe thunderstorms.

To create pea-size hail (about 1/2 inch in diameter) winds within
the thunderstorm updraft will generally be around 20 miles per
hour. Quarter size hail (3/4 of an inch in diameter) requires
updrafts of about 40 miles per hour.

Golf ball size hail (1 3/4 inches in diameter) needs updrafts of
around 55 miles per hour and softball size hail, approximately 100
miles per hour! ...

Old June 6th 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Larry Dighera" wrote)
"A man has got to know his limitations"

Or in this case, the limitations of his equipment.

"I WAS IN THE POOL!"
"I WAS IN THE POOL!"
"I WAS IN THE POOL!"

Montblack

Old June 6th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Larry Dighera" wrote:

I mentioned that I was trained to skirt CBs by 20 miles. Of course,
that is the reason.

Maintaining such a hard rule WRT to *all* CBs would make flyng a very
difficult proposition down South in the summertime, as Dylan has pointed out.
Not all CBs need such a wide berth.

It's often difficult to maintain good situational awareness of the
buildups if you are in VMC under a cell's base, or the buildups begin
to merge.

That's what XM WX is for, praised be its name!

--
Dan
? at BFM