LOUD

Old September 1st 03, 12:22 PM
JSH517

The Raven wrote;
Try living in a motel at the end of a SAC runway (for 3 months). Triple buff
takeoffs at 5am, full noise, about 200ft over your head.

Oh come on now, thats not noise that's music :-)

Jim
SAC Cop
78-88

Old September 1st 03, 01:16 PM
The Raven

"JSH517" wrote in message
The Raven wrote;
Try living in a motel at the end of a SAC runway (for 3 months). Triple

buff
takeoffs at 5am, full noise, about 200ft over your head.

Oh come on now, thats not noise that's music :-)

Not when you're trying to sleep and the SAC claims 7am is the earliest
flight (long time ago)

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Old September 1st 03, 01:37 PM
Bob Noel

In article , "Gerry
Caron" wrote:

if you want loud, try the F-111.

Ahh, but the 'varks are gone and so are the rhinos. :-(

even the EF's?

and what about the Australians? are theirs all gone too?

Since the BUFFs and tankers that are left are all turbofans, I'd say the
king of loud these days is the Bone. A full burner TO will rattle windows
and set off alarms for a mile.

The USAF still has at least one 707 with the old old engines.
Everytime it takes off out of BED there are dozens of noise
complaints. But of course it probably won't match a plane
doing a full burner TO.

--
Bob Noel
Old September 1st 03, 05:38 PM
Scott Lowrey

"Chris Hoffmann" wrote in message ...
Signature? Good grief....how many FBO's do they run? That's the FBO at
Mitchell Field in Milwaukee, too.

I had the same thought - Signature? - but for another reason: why would a
fighter be parked there and not over near the military hangars? Cheaper
fuel? : )

Old September 1st 03, 06:05 PM
John Kunkel

"Bob Noel" wrote in message

if you want loud, try the F-111.

It purrs compared to the Vulcan. Greatest device ever created for turning
fossil fuel into noise.
John

Old September 1st 03, 07:43 PM
Billy Beck

"The Raven" wrote:

Try living in a motel at the end of a SAC runway (for 3 months). Triple buff
takeoffs at 5am, full noise, about 200ft over your head.

By November of 1972, Barksdale was *too quiet* for me to sleep.

That was very wierd.

Billy

http://www.two--four.net/weblog.php
Old September 1st 03, 08:20 PM
B2431

Those J57s were turbojets with water injection. When
they hit the water, it let out a screech you could hear for miles.

Gerry

The trim pad at Langley AFB was across the runway from main base as was CBPO.
The desk jockeys were most cross with us when we would start water. It seems
the prevailing winds made us aim the engines at them and they really failed to
see the humour in the situation.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old September 1st 03, 08:41 PM
Neal

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:45:23 GMT, "Scott Lowrey"
wrote:

"Neal" wrote in message ...
An F-15 can get pretty awesomely loud too, looks vaguely similar to an
F-18, to the layperson, in that it also has twin vertical
stabilizors/rudders but they're straight up instead of angled
outwards. F-15's wing is much larger, and somewhat delta-shaped too.

Good pics for comparison at:
http://www.rijskamp.com/KLu/photos/photo_50.html

That's an excellent shot, thanks. From my viewing angle and distance, I
really
didn't get a good enough look. All I caught were the twin verticals. Looks
like the key is the wing shape (and angle of verticals). Unfortunately the
roll
in my direction put the wings level with me, so couldn't see them.

I forgot to mention the F-14, it also has a twin tail, but it'd
probably be pretty rare to see one in Minnesota. I've never even seen
one in person myself, here in north Texas.

Here's a cute photo of a Tomcat.

http://www.rijskamp.com/KLu/photos/photo_66.html

Water skiing, anyone? :-)

Old September 1st 03, 09:25 PM
Errol Cavit

Bob Noel wrote in message ...
In article , "Gerry
Caron" wrote:

if you want loud, try the F-111.

Ahh, but the 'varks are gone and so are the rhinos. :-(

even the EF's?

Yes

and what about the Australians? are theirs all gone too?

No, although there has been a recent suggestion to retire them soon
rather than keep them going for another 15-20 years.

One evening a couple of months ago I was with some friends when we
heard a loud jet. I looked over to the other person with an interest
in aviation, and we both said something like "that's not a modern
civil jet." The RNZAF B727s had just been retired, so they were out.
Then I remembered - "The F-111s are here on exercise this week. It'll
be one of them." Cue disbelief from some others in room that we could
ID an aircraft from sound alone.

snip
Cheers
Errol Cavit
Old September 2nd 03, 09:38 PM
John S. Shinal

(B2431) wrote:

The trim pad at Langley AFB was across the runway from main base as was CBPO.
The desk jockeys were most cross with us when we would start water. It seems
the prevailing winds made us aim the engines at them and they really failed to
see the humour in the situation.

What was it, the noise or the pall of black stuff ?