PIREP Extreme Simple Green Aviaiton cleaner

Old March 7th 05, 02:01 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article . net,
"Mike Rapoport" wrote:

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Mike Rapoport" said:
I was given a bottle of this stuff at NBAA and today I tried it out for
the

Wasn't there a problem with the original Simple Green that it could attack
aluminium or something? How did they fix that with the Aviation Cleaner?

Yes there is a corrosion issue with regular Simple Green. The new Extreme
Simple Green is different, it isn't even green.

Mike
Not a chemist

I have been using Carbon X, which is Ph neutral -- the problem with
regular Simple Green is that it is acidic and will attack aluminum and
magnesium. I would presume that the new Extreme Simple Green is a
similar product to Carbon X -- the prices appear to be about the same.

I have been using a 10% - 30% mixture of Carbon X in a spray bottle to
remove bugs -- I let it soak a couple of minutes and then wipe the bugs
off with a wet sponge. It does not attack dope or paint -- something
which 409 will do.

I assume that Extreme Simple Green would normally be applied in diluted
form, too.
Old March 7th 05, 03:29 PM
Matt Barrow

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
I have been using a 10% - 30% mixture of Carbon X in a spray bottle to
remove bugs -- I let it soak a couple of minutes and then wipe the bugs
off with a wet sponge. It does not attack dope or paint -- something
which 409 will do.

I assume that Extreme Simple Green would normally be applied in diluted
form, too.

Well, that answers my question (from another post)!!

Thanks, that'll solve a BIG problem for me (okay ,a bug sized problem).

Matt
--
"A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner,
so if one's life is cold and bare he can blame

Old March 8th 05, 02:31 AM
Maule Driver

Not long ago, I posted the real secret to leading edge bug cleaning ---
soak time.

No matter what you use, and surely some formulations are better than
others, letting them soak (i.e. remain wet) for an hour or even hours
will make removal a breeze. Worried about paint? Use plain water.

Keeping a LE wet may require a hangar, cool day, rags or whatever but
soak time really saves the elbow grease.

Now if I can just get the turbine exhaust stains off my Maule....

Matt Barrow wrote:

It doesn't damage the paint? In the late srping around here we get moths out
the wazoo and I'l like to just spray the leading edges down to get the crap
off but I woory about the paint (as others have aluded to). I have a really
good paint job and don't want to ruin it.

Old March 8th 05, 03:42 AM
Matt Barrow

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
.. .
Not long ago, I posted the real secret to leading edge bug cleaning ---
soak time.

No matter what you use, and surely some formulations are better than
others, letting them soak (i.e. remain wet) for an hour or even hours
will make removal a breeze. Worried about paint? Use plain water.

Keeping a LE wet may require a hangar, cool day, rags or whatever but
soak time really saves the elbow grease.

Now if I can just get the turbine exhaust stains off my Maule....

I have the hanger, but your idea of rags (in my case we have a bunch of old
towels) we can soak and hang over the LE sounds great.

My heavy flying starts about this time of year and the bug (moths) season
starts about the end of April. Being it can be pretty dry (compared to back
East) the bug removal process can be much more difficult if they aren't
soaked right away.

Matt Barrow wrote:

Matt
Matthew W. Barrow