Damaged aircraft - should I pay?

Old October 25th 05, 01:05 AM
Mike Rapoport

Default Damaged aircraft - should I pay?

"Hilton" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi,

Right now (1pm West Coast time) on cnn.com, there is a picture of numerous
overturned planes. Presumably insurance pays for this and since I pay for
insurance, should I feel a bit bummed that these owners didn't fly their
planes to safety and help lower my insurance costs? Taking it to the
other extreme, perhaps some owners wanted to upgrade from a 172 to a 182
(for example) and... Sorry, I just don't get it.

Thanks,

Hilton

When you buy insurance you are agreeing to pool your risk with others. If
you don't want to participate in the consequences of other people's decision
making, don't buy insurance.

Mike
MU-2

Old October 25th 05, 01:24 AM
Morgans

"W P Dixon" wrote

Let's see I have 4 or 5 days notice. I have to spend most of one day
standing in line getting enough plywood to cover the house to try to

protect
that major investment..that by the way the entire family benefits from.

I don't buy it. You would only have to move the plane 60 miles or so.
There is time in there to move "that" major investment, also.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 25th 05, 01:29 AM
Morgans

"John" wrote

Finally, you never can be sure if by moving you are not going from bad
to worse. I have friends in South Florida who didn't leave when
Andrew approached. They could go North or South (though not too far).
When I asked (in quite colorful language) why they didn't bug out,
they replied there was uncertainty where exactly the storm would
strike, forecast information was confusing, and they didn't know
until it was too late which way to run.

You board up the house, move the stuff in it onto the top of cabinets, or
boards on top of ladders; you get the picture. one person takes the car and
bugs out early with the stuff that has to be moved. You wait with the
plane, and the others that want to go with you until the track is pretty
certain, then bug out in the plane. You beat all of the last minute freeway
traffic that way, also.

Right, life and family is most important. If I am ever in similar
situations, I'll sure make every attempt to make it out with the plane.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 25th 05, 02:22 AM
BTIZ

I don't buy it. You would only have to move the plane 60 miles or so.
There is time in there to move "that" major investment, also.
--
Jim in NC

But which way to move it.. that storm was 800 miles wide at one time before
it hit Mexico

Old October 25th 05, 02:35 AM
Harvey

"Morgans" wrote his 1st response:

Let's see I have 4 or 5 days notice. I have to spend most of one day
standing in line getting enough plywood to cover the house to try to

protect
that major investment..that by the way the entire family benefits from.

I don't buy it. You would only have to move the plane 60 miles or so.
There is time in there to move "that" major investment, also.

Morgans responds the second time:

[...]

Ok. This guy is just insensitive or just a moron. Possibly both. Almost
certainly he has never been faced with the situations described. Or perhaps
he (she?) is a super human. Or perhaps s/he just thinks so. Either way, into
the ignore file goes he. or her. whatever.

Harvey
written by generator light after Wilma.

Old October 25th 05, 03:02 AM
Doug

Yes, skip the insurance and you WILL be out there moving your plane to
a safe airport! Gotta save it, it's NOT insured!

Old October 25th 05, 03:23 AM
W P Dixon

You don't have to buy anything Jim. Just saying that during crisis times
things happen and they add up . Before you know it you are out of time. And
if you flew your plane 60 miles from Key West airport to get away from the
storm...where exactly would you be safe? The odds of finding a hangar to put
the plane inside at an away from home airport can be a challenge as well.
You just can't say you can or would do this or that....you would have to be
in the situation and do all you could do. I am sure when it comes down to
it, you'd chose your familie's absolute safety over getting an airplane to
where it MIGHT be safe...and only 60 miles is a big might . Not saying there
is no way to get a plane to safety, only saying that alot of times during
those crisis times alot of things come about that you do not count on.
Even with the best of planning mother nature can give you one heck of a wake
up call.

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech

Old October 25th 05, 04:04 AM
George Patterson

Morgans wrote:

I don't buy it. You would only have to move the plane 60 miles or so.
There is time in there to move "that" major investment, also.

You don't know if you have to move the plane or where that safe spot is until
the last few hours. When it's too late. If you want to move the plane a few days
in advance, you're talking several hundred miles to be safe, and you have to
figure out how to get back home.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 25th 05, 04:13 AM
George Patterson

tony roberts wrote:

I understood that "act of God" wasn't covered - same as earthquake.

Take a look at your insurance policy. I've never seen that clause in one of mine.