Damaged aircraft - should I pay?

Old October 25th 05, 05:11 AM
JohnH

Default Damaged aircraft - should I pay?

tony roberts wrote:
I understood that "act of God" wasn't covered - same as earthquake.

Does that mean athiests get more coverage?

Old October 25th 05, 05:11 AM
Robert M. Gary

one person takes the car and bugs out early with the stuff that has to be moved.

I wouldn't let my wife bug out on her own. You never know what could
happen. She could get stuck in Texas type traffic, end up having to
sleep in the car on the freeway, etc. I'm not letting her do that just
to save the damn airplane.
-Robert

Old October 25th 05, 05:12 AM
Robert M. Gary

I wonder how many where airworthy. I would estimate that at most
airports 20% of the aircraft cannot fly at any given time.

Old October 25th 05, 05:14 AM
Dave Stadt

"tony roberts" wrote in message
I understood that "act of God" wasn't covered - same as earthquake.

If you purchase aircraft insurance that excludes "acts of God" you deserve
the coverage you get.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Right now (1pm West Coast time) on cnn.com, there is a picture of

numerous
overturned planes. Presumably insurance pays for this and since I pay

for
insurance, should I feel a bit bummed that these owners didn't fly their
planes to safety and help lower my insurance costs? Taking it to the

other
extreme, perhaps some owners wanted to upgrade from a 172 to a 182 (for
example) and... Sorry, I just don't get it.

Thanks,

Hilton

Old October 25th 05, 05:19 AM
tony roberts

ENCYCLOPAEDIA
Hutchinson's
Encyclopaedia

Encyclopaedia Search
Click a letter for the index
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Or search the encyclopaedia:

act of God
Legal term meaning some sudden and irresistible act of nature that could
not reasonably have been foreseen or prevented, such as floods or
exceptionally high tides, storms, lightning, earthquakes, sharp frosts,
or sudden death.

Damage by such an occurrence may be attributed to the act of God, and in
the absence of any contract to the contrary, no person can be held
liable for it. Nearly all insurance forms and shipping charter parties,
and most contracts, have a clause relating to nonliability in the case
of an act of God.
Research Machines plc 2005. All rights reserved. Helicon Publishing is
a division of Research Machines plc.

Take a look at your insurance policy. I've never seen that clause in one of
mine.

George Patterson

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old October 25th 05, 05:37 AM
Sylvain

Morgans wrote:

Who cares what it was before Mexico? 12 to 24 hours before, the track and
size were well predicted.

now all the hypotheses about leaving on time and in the
right direction and all that, kindof fail if the local
FBO (the nice folks from whom you buy fuel had decided to
play it safe, pack up and leave before you did...

--Sylvain
Old October 25th 05, 06:29 AM
Morgans

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote

I flew the night Hurricane Hugo showed up *towards* the storm (for my job)

and
tied the aircraft to the best of my ability out on the flightline. Gust

locks,
etc... everything I could do to make it secure.

Sometimes it's just a matter of luck. And frankly, nobody expected Hugo

amount to much more than a windy night since we were a good 150 NM from

the
coast.

How true, but Hugo was a rather large exception, and no one expected it to
do anything close to what it did.

Who would have thought that I would see an eye wall in Western NC?

If you got your plane wrecked 6+ hours drive from the coast, all I can say
is, pay up, insurance! g
--
Jim in NC

Old October 25th 05, 06:32 AM
Morgans

"BTIZ" wrote

But which way to move it.. that storm was 800 miles wide at one time

before
it hit Mexico

Old October 25th 05, 06:58 AM
Morgans

"Sylvain" wrote in message
t...
Morgans wrote:

Who cares what it was before Mexico? 12 to 24 hours before, the track

and
size were well predicted.

now all the hypotheses about leaving on time and in the
right direction and all that, kindof fail if the local
FBO (the nice folks from whom you buy fuel had decided to
play it safe, pack up and leave before you did...

Listen, all, I'm not trying to say that it will work all the time for
everyone. But ya' gotta' try, IMHO.

Lots of folks keep at least half tanks all the time, right? That ought to
get you 60 to 100 miles, for any plane, right?

My whole thing is to get the home stuff done early, when it looks like you
*might* be in harm's way. At the end, if you are lined up for a hit, take
the short flight. It still ought to get you more safe, if you stay away, or
decide to drive back.

For each his own. Unless we get another Hugo, I'm safe, for now. If I was
living in a danger zone, part of my preparedness plan would involve moving
the plane. That's me, perhaps not you. My final words.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 25th 05, 12:42 PM
Jay Honeck

now all the hypotheses about leaving on time and in the
right direction and all that, kindof fail if the local
FBO (the nice folks from whom you buy fuel had decided to
play it safe, pack up and leave before you did...

Ah, yet another reason to fuel after each flight...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA