A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Best option for electric self starting glider

Old April 18th 20, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Best option for electric self starting glider

Ramy wrote on 4/17/2020 11:40 PM:
Overall, the FES sounds like a very good option to me.
However someone mentioned the real possibility of prop strike. If this happen, I still want to be able to fly my glider as a pure glider until I get the new prop, but if I need to send the motor for repair, or worse, send my ship to Europe to repair the motor, then this could be a deal breaker. Anyone knows more about the consequences (and cost) of prop strike?
According to the FES site, an FES glider can be easily returned to the "pure

glider" configuration. The motor and propeller are removed and a nose cone is
attached; the batteries can be removed the usual way. I suspect the weight and
balance would still be correct, too.

I have no idea what the cost of the prop strike would be, but I recall reading
about one, and the motor was undamaged. The motor is simple and easily examined,
unlike a gasoline motor.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old April 18th 20, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I know of a Silent 2 FES that had a prop strike on takeoff. Took an inch or 2 off both props. Pilot continued the launch. Said from his perspective he suspected a strike but the glider seemed to power and fly okay. Motor was fine; don’t even think it required an inspection. Got new props. I’ve watched a FES prop balancing exercise. Looked like it required special equipment and was rather tedious. Anyone have information on that process?

Danny Brotto
LS-8/18 "P6"

Old April 18th 20, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

ship to Europe to repair the motor, then this could be a deal breaker. Anyone knows more about the consequences (and cost) of prop strike?

Ramy

I know Paul Gains in Arizona has repaired or still repairing a FES set up glider from what I think was a prop strike.

Kevin
Old April 20th 20, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 7:11:52 PM UTC-7, wrote:
most of the time I fly on final the day is dying, so making sure I have it nailed is a requirment 😂😂

Dying means it is still alive. I come home many times while there is still lift. Perhaps I flew the task I had declared pre-flight, perhaps I am old enough to want to disassemble by daylight and drink a beer will my fellow pilots. I remember one special flight of about 10 km short of a 1000K. The last thermal was soft, not turbulent, unlike the others of that day and wide. Rode that thermal to 17,0000 feet and the day just shut off, not another bump. Ended up over an airport at 5000 AGL and pulled spoilers as the day had died about 45 minutes ago. One of the reasons this day was so remarkable, was because the day died so sudden and complete.
I don't just let the computer think for me. If I do that I feel disconnected to the flight. If the day is not dead and you have practice at estimating the amount of lift based on the day the sky and flarm of other pilots why wouldn't you take into account the lift you are likely to encounter on the way home.

This past summer I spent about 25 hours with a new xc pilot in his dou-d. I had him estimate every glide arrival even just to the next cloud. He got pretty good at estimating the lift we encountered between glides. On longer days when he started to be wrong on the callouts (300 feet) he knew the day had changed.
same in sailing, just practice until you know your boat/bird and the air.
Old January 20th 21, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex Lamb
external usenet poster

Magnus,

What did you decide about electric self launch?

--- Alex (Willamette Valley Soaring Club)

Old January 20th 21, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at 3:10:40 PM UTC+10, Alex Lamb wrote:
Magnus,

I don't know what Magnus ordered, but my aforementioned Diana 2NG-FES arrived about a month after my post, and you can see the results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3clSlZUPI3w

I will make some better videos in the coming months.
Old January 20th 21, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Magnus
external usenet poster

Alex,
Thanks for remembering me. I have not yet decided as COVID-19 has delayed the certification and launch of both the GP Jeta and LAK-17C gliders in Europe. The advice from the original thread was to wait for some practical experience in the field and I look forward to that. The battery development is also moving fast so while waiting the capacity is improving and cost is going down. Still have my eyes open for alternatives
Magnus

On Wednesday, January 20, 2021 at 6:10:40 AM UTC+1, Alex Lamb wrote:
Magnus,