PowerFlarm offers new Version, PowerFlarm Fusion Includes Many newstandard Features!

Old November 21st 20, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default PowerFlarm offers new Version, PowerFlarm Fusion Includes Manynewstandard Features!

On Saturday, November 21, 2020 at 8:54:55 AM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Andrzej Kobus wrote on 11/20/2020 5:57 PM:
On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 12:31:44 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Moshe Braner wrote on 11/19/2020 2:12 PM:
On 11/19/2020 1:21 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:

That looks to me like you can buy a license to activate the "B" antenna. Isn't that like

I also agree with Dan that having to buy a license to activate the "B" antenna is ridiculous.
Yes it's an optional feature, but it shouldn't be. They've already developed this feature and
it's built into the device. And it is important for the safety benefit. That's different from
some of the other optional features like IGC-certified logging, which are separate from the
collision avoidance purpose, and they can make those who want that feature pay extra while
keeping the price lower (?) for the rest.

The B antenna is not required for safety in my glider. My ASH26E has two antennas in the nose
(Flarm and ADSB), producing excellent range in most directions, and sufficient range to the
rear for collision avoidance. I tried a B antenna on the belly, and it did improve the range at
which I could detect other Flarm units, especially below. Since the unit already had sufficient
range in all directions, the B antenna did not improve it's collision avoidance ability, and I
removed it after 10 or so flights.

I think my experience would apply to almost any Schleicher glider - they all use essentially
the same fuselage, starting with the ASW24, which do not have carbon in the nose. That's a lot
of gliders.

Eric, you wish what you wrote to be a fact, but in reality you can not have 100% in a glider that uses carbon and has only one antenna. I used to own ASH-26E with Flarm and from experience know there are blind spots. One flight in a competition gaggle would prove it for you. You will not be seen by others all the time and you will not see others all the time on your Flarm if you and they have only 1 antenna.

The gaggles I've flown in did not expose those problems, perhaps because they have not been as
dense as the worst contest gaggles sometimes are. Did your 26E have the antennas mounted in the
nose? Where was the worst blind spot?

In general, I would expect the signal strength from nearby gliders (+/- 500'vertically, 1000'
horizontally) in a gaggle to overwhelm all but the very worst antenna placement.

My antenna was mounted in the nose and the worst coverage was to the back, above the glider, very dangerous blind spot. I then moved the antenna to the glare shield, improved the above the glider and worsened below the glider.. Blind spot below the glider was more acceptable to me.
Old November 21st 20, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Andrzej Kobus wrote on 11/21/2020 10:53 AM:
[...]

Curious. The behind and above has never been a dead spot for me, meaning "while thermaling
gliders above and behind were always detected). No one has ever mentioned a problem seeing me
from that position, either.

Old November 21st 20, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 11/21/20 11:53 AM, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
[...]

I have the A antenna on the glare shield and an external blade B antenna
under the nose bowl of the Stemme. Below is much improved since moving
the B antenna to the bottom but, due to the curvature of the lower
fuselage, the aft view is not as good as it could be if the antenna was
aft of the landing gear.

--
Dan
5J
Old November 22nd 20, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

I just heard from Flarm about the Fusion. It transmits and receives on both A and B!

Yes. There are no FCC regulations against transmitting on both radios. This is how Fusion was FCC certified.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 22nd 20, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Good to hear. Does that mean the Core 1.1 is also allowed to transmit (and doing so) on both antennas in the US and Canada?
Old November 22nd 20, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Sunday, November 22, 2020 at 3:44:51 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Good to hear. Does that mean the Core 1.1 is also allowed to transmit (and doing so) on both antennas in the US and Canada?

Not for the PowerFlarm Core as it was not FCC Certified with that configuration.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 23rd 20, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

$1526 For this new Flarm unit is a good deal.
If you don't have Flarm in your plane, nows the time.
It Works and works great.
Nick
Old November 23rd 20, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

"Not for the PowerFlarm Core as it was not FCC Certified with that configuration"

Now that the FCC has approved dual antenna transmit in the Fusion, it shouldn't be that difficult for Flarm to persuade the FCC and "Innovation" Canada to amend approvals for the Core. Likely the transmit components are pretty much the same.
Old November 23rd 20, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Sunday, November 22, 2020 at 6:28:32 PM UTC-8, wrote:
"Not for the PowerFlarm Core as it was not FCC Certified with that configuration"
Now that the FCC has approved dual antenna transmit in the Fusion, it shouldn't be that difficult for Flarm to persuade the FCC and "Innovation" Canada to amend approvals for the Core. Likely the transmit components are pretty much the same.

Persuading probably requires retesting, the first time in the USA the second antenna transmit did not make the grade. The difficultly is money! I got a quote for a manufacturer for lab testing and certification several years ago. The price tag $25,000 to $30000, if it passed the first time. Internally the units are quite different . PowerFlarmCore 3 internal boards, Fusion 1 board. I doubt it will happen for an end of life product..

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 23rd 20, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Richard Pfiffner wrote on 11/23/2020 6:50 AM:
PowerFlarmCore 3 internal boards, Fusion 1 board. I doubt it will happen for an end of life product.

And yet the boxes appear to be the same physical size. I've been attracted to smaller units for
my next glider because of space constraints. Any possibility a smaller version is coming?