What would you pay?

Old December 10th 05, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default What would you pay?

("Dave Stadt" wrote)
We currently pay $.10 per square foot. Even if it doubled it wouldn't be
big deal. Is ANE one of the MSP airports they wanted to close?

No. The talk is of closing Crystal (MIC) ...developers are salivating over
that one.

If Minneapolis/St Paul (MSP) airspace is a clock, then ANE is up near 12
o'clock or 12:30 with MIC at 10:30 or 11 o'clock.

MIC ....14 (s) miles from MSP
MIC .... 9 (s) miles from ANE
ANE .. 18 (s) miles from MSP

http://www.mspairport.com/relievers/...l/default.aspx
(MIC) Crystal Airport

http://www.mspairport.com/relievers/...e/default.aspx
(ANE) Anoka County - Blaine Airport

See where the N/S runway at ANE was moved ...up? We'd have a 7,500 ft runway
if it was an addition rather than a relocation. Neighbors in Mounds View, in
the bottom of the pic, were complaining. As it is, 18/36 is currently under
5,000 ft.

The new Minnesota Viking's stadium will be just out of the picture, 2 mile
away, in the upper right hand corner ...if it ever gets built.

Montblack

Old December 10th 05, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Montblack wrote:

At ANE (Anoka County-Blaine, MN - 20 miles N of M/SP) you build your own
hangar on leased land, just like a trailer "court" ...or mobile home
"park" ...or manufactured housing "village". You know, tornado magnets.

Put whatever you want up on your site, but you still owe rent (lease)
payments on that site each month. Hangars sell from owner to owner. The
leases (land rent) are set to almost double at ANE over the next few years.

That's where I fly in to when I come to town as it's the closest airport
to my folks. What are the going rates if I wanted to buy a hangar?
Old December 10th 05, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
Holy crap! What are they trying to do, weed out the riff-raff?

What will that do to the airport?

The idea is to get the leases up to "market" levels ...whatever that means,
especially since it's 1940's 'set aside' airport land - all managed by the
Metro Airports Commission.

The rents, along with a bump from (gate) fees collected at MSP, used to
cover local costs.

These days, Northwest Airlines wants the lion's share of all 'gate fees'
paid to MAC to be used for projects at the main airport, MSP. This leaves a
difference to make up out at the six reliever (MAC) airports. Airports that
used to get a percentage of those funds.

Another factor in the rate hike is the Twin Cities Met Council, a gigantic
non-elected 'region wide' government body - parks, sewers, buses, housing,
etc. A good chunk of the cost increases at ANE are associated with Met
Council rate hikes.

http://www.metrocouncil.org/about/fa...MetCouncil.pdf
Met Council ...'Who am I? Why am I here?'

http://www.metrocouncil.org/

Montblack

Old December 11th 05, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("Newps" wrote)
That's where I fly in to when I come to town as it's the closest airport
to my folks. What are the going rates if I wanted to buy a hangar?

70k - 130k for something nice. 40x40 would be on the small side in this
group.

A very nice (newer, insulated, nicely finished, upper office, etc) 60x65?
was for sale this spring for around 169k. I look at the for for-sale signs
when I drive around over there. I've yet to see anything offered for under
60k. Apparently small hangars don't go up for sale often or are snapped up
right away by "insiders". Lake Elmo (21D) east side of the Twin Cities, near
the Wisconsin border, might be cheaper.

If you're only flying in once or twice per month, I suspect another 30-45
minutes (one way) in the car would save you a bundle. Where is your folks
house?

I've heard South St Paul (SGS) is reasonably priced - home of Ballistic
Recovery Systems (BRS). This airport is not part of the MAC reliever airport
system - it's only 8 nautical miles (east) of MSP, and about 5 miles (almost
due south) of Downtown St Paul (STP).

According to AirNav:
(STP) Downtown St Paul ... 7.3 nm to MSP
(STP) Downtown St Paul ....4.8 nm to SGS
(MSP) Mpls/St Paul Int ........8.0 nm to SGS

Montblack

Old December 11th 05, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
MY capitalist greedy side disagrees.

If there's a waiting list, it's time to build more hangars!

:-)

Good corrolary, Jay...

On a serious note, have you considered the economy of building your own
small hangar and sharing it with a few good tenants? or keeping it to
yourself? A long term lease on the land and then you are simply putting
in the improvements..

Dave

Old December 11th 05, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

We pay $400 (cdn)/month for shared hangar, heated, - staff will move
or assist in moving our Warrior in/out to the ramp as needed.

We are permitted to "work" on our plane after hrs. and trusted to lock
up the place when finished. Hose , hot water, vac , air pressure,
powered tug and pressure washer avbl.

Presently snuggled alongside a WestWind.. (well, the company is class)

Dave

.....On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:48:03 -0500, "Kobra"
wrote:

Hangar tenents,

Hypothetical situation: You're in a hangar. There are no more hangars for
100 miles. There is a waiting list for a hangar just as long. There are
plenty of tie-downs for a poultry 70.00 per month. Just out of curiosity
... what would be the magic price of hangar rent that would make you say,
"THAT'S IT!! I'M OUTTA HERE!! YOU CAN HAVE THE HANGAR...GIVE ME A FRICKIN'
TIE-DOWN."

Kobra

Old December 11th 05, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Montblack wrote:

A very nice (newer, insulated, nicely finished, upper office, etc)
60x65? was for sale this spring for around 169k. I look at the for
for-sale signs when I drive around over there. I've yet to see anything
offered for under 60k. Apparently small hangars don't go up for sale
often or are snapped up right away by "insiders". Lake Elmo (21D) east
side of the Twin Cities, near the Wisconsin border, might be cheaper.

If you're only flying in once or twice per month, I suspect another
30-45 minutes (one way) in the car would save you a bundle. Where is
your folks house?

I'm not in the market, just wondered what they go for now. The folks
live on the western shore of Turtle Lake, about a half mile south of I
and Lexington.

I've heard South St Paul (SGS) is reasonably priced - home of Ballistic
Recovery Systems (BRS). This airport is not part of the MAC reliever
airport system - it's only 8 nautical miles (east) of MSP, and about 5
miles (almost due south) of Downtown St Paul (STP).

One of the guys I went to high school with works at Wipaire as a
mechanic. I've landed there a few times too.
Old December 11th 05, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Darrel Toepfer wrote:

$70 gets you a t-hanger at 4R7 ($50 a decade ago), $60 gets you one at
3R7...

None are available at either... Tiedowns used to be free at 4R7, now
they want to charge, but I don't remember what... 3R7 is planning on
building more t-hangers, 4R7 is exploring a grant ($300k for 10
t-hangers on last guesstimate)...

If building ten hangars costs $300k, the rents on the existing ones are
ridiculously low.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old December 11th 05, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:

Some people have a lovely cottage on a lake -- we have a tin shack on a
strip of asphalt. But I know where I'd rather hang out!

Yeah, but you pay next to nothing for it (you recently posted a figure of
something like $1,200/year?). Around here, you're looking at upwards of $5,000.

Old December 11th 05, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:

Our airport has talked about selling hangars to tenants, but it always gets
swept aside as being unworkable.

You might do it the way they did it at Trenton/Mercer County (TTN). A private
company was allowed to build the hangars on airport property. Each hangar was
sold as if it were a "condominium" apartment (IIRC, the price for each was about
$45,000). That paid the developer back for his investment. The airport charges a
monthly maintenance fee.