A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Tuesday Chuckle

Old September 24th 13, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Tuesday Chuckle

https://sites.google.com/site/florid...randprix/rules

Old September 24th 13, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Tuesday Chuckle

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:51:00 AM UTC-5, Evan Ludeman wrote:

Dang that 700 foot minimum start height is a bugger. I wanted to start right on the deck. :-)
Old September 24th 13, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Tuesday Chuckle

Anybody see the "Southpark" episode entitled, "Sarcastaball"?

"Steve Leonard" wrote in message

Dang that 700 foot minimum start height is a bugger. I wanted to start
right on the deck. :-)

Old September 24th 13, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AJM
external usenet poster

Default Tuesday Chuckle

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:30:35 AM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:

Dang that 700 foot minimum start height is a bugger. I wanted to start right on the deck. :-)

2. Penalties include but are not limited to:
e) entering any Class C, E or other restricted airspace.

And with a penalty for entering Class E airspace (above 1200ft AGL, in most US Airspace), it should be a very interesting race!
Old September 24th 13, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Tuesday Chuckle

AJM wrote, On 9/24/2013 10:02 AM:
On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:30:35 AM UTC-5, Steve Leonard
wrote:
On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:51:00 AM UTC-5, Evan Ludeman
wrote:

Dang that 700 foot minimum start height is a bugger. I wanted to
start right on the deck. :-)

2. Penalties include but are not limited to: ... e) entering any
Class C, E or other restricted airspace. ...

And with a penalty for entering Class E airspace (above 1200ft AGL,
in most US Airspace), it should be a very interesting race!

Carp if you must, but that 700 foot start height is bound to increase
spectator interest!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to
email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old September 24th 13, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jeffrey stringer
external usenet poster

Default Tuesday Chuckle

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 9:51:00 AM UTC-4, Evan Ludeman wrote:

so we rag on a guy because he was working to hard for no compensation that he made a simple error, which if you were flying the comp and didn't know it was an error, it would say, me thinks, a whole lot more about you than your abillity to pick nits says about him. I don't think that it is the time or place to denegrate someone's work if you aren't willing to do it yourself...my grandmother tought mr that, a very long time ago.
Old September 24th 13, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Echo
external usenet poster

Default Tuesday Chuckle

Especially given the politics surrounding that operation and that individual. What contests have you guys organized recently? I've only been flying regionals for 2 years, and I find turn area tasks to be quite boring. May as well fly OLC create your own tasks. At least he's trying to being back some fun to this sport.

E
Old September 24th 13, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AJM
external usenet poster

Default Tuesday Chuckle

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 4:00:19 PM UTC-5, Echo wrote:
Especially given the politics surrounding that operation and that individual. What contests have you guys organized recently? I've only been flying regionals for 2 years, and I find turn area tasks to be quite boring. May as well fly OLC create your own tasks. At least he's trying to being back some fun to this sport.

E

I have zero politics around this operation nor this individual. I hope it is a safe, successful and fun event.

My comment was merely pointing out what I hope was a typo in the airspace restrictions. If you look back at your own post history on r.a.s., you seem to joke around a bit as well, so one would hope that you wouldn't take such offense at a bit of humor.
Old September 24th 13, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Tuesday Chuckle

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:55:31 PM UTC-4, jeffrey stringer wrote:

so we rag on a guy because he was working to hard for no compensation that he made a simple error, which if you were flying the comp and didn't know it was an error, it would say, me thinks, a whole lot more about you than your abillity to pick nits says about him. I don't think that it is the time or place to denegrate someone's work if you aren't willing to do it yourself...my grandmother tought mr that, a very long time ago.

Actually, I wasn't even thinking of the typos when I posted this. I was thinking more along the lines of "Oh, so it *has* occurred to someone that a little start gate procedure is in order, that is would be smart to manage start gate energy some how, that it would be a good idea to keep the gliders out of the trees at the finish." But what really got me grinning was the bit about "Penalties include but *are not limited to*...." You see, I do appreciate that this stuff is a lot of work.

Say what you want about SSA rules (and oh boy have some people said a lot), at least they are *written down*.

I was just idly chuckling about the thought of a certain racer I know who has a tendency to argue the rules at every single race he goes to and how that would play out at Andy's GP. He's not unique, but he is special :-). Others reading this got the point, I am quite certain. Sorry the thread got lost in the typos....

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old September 24th 13, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Tuesday Chuckle

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:06:12 PM UTC-4, Evan Ludeman wrote:
On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:55:31 PM UTC-4, jeffrey stringer wrote:

Actually, I wasn't even thinking of the typos when I posted this. I was thinking more along the lines of "Oh, so it *has* occurred to someone that a little start gate procedure is in order, that is would be smart to manage start gate energy some how, that it would be a good idea to keep the gliders out of the trees at the finish." But what really got me grinning was the bit about "Penalties include but *are not limited to*...." You see, I do appreciate that this stuff is a lot of work.

Say what you want about SSA rules (and oh boy have some people said a lot), at least they are *written down*.

I was just idly chuckling about the thought of a certain racer I know who has a tendency to argue the rules at every single race he goes to and how that would play out at Andy's GP. He's not unique, but he is special :-). Others reading this got the point, I am quite certain. Sorry the thread got lost in the typos....

Evan Ludeman / T8

Man I wish we'd move r.a.s. someplace where we could edit! For clarity: the rules hair splitter I refer to is (so far as I know) *not* going to the upcoming GP.

-T8