What F-102 units were called up for Viet Nam

Old September 5th 03, 06:22 PM
Tarver Engineering

Default What F-102 units were called up for Viet Nam

I want this for a political newsgroup.

thanks

Old September 5th 03, 10:33 PM
Aerophotos

The F102 operated out of Tan Son Nhut and also on detachment from Osan,
South Korea i understand.... they were used as point interceptors and
f102 chase planes for B52 raids in out of country sorties and sometimes
used their IR ball as a 2.75 FFAR aim point for ground attack missions.

1 x F102 was shot down by a Mig in 67 i think.

Old September 5th 03, 10:58 PM
MikeT

I did some searching, at:
http://www.arthurhu.com/index/militry.htm
I found this
"Greatest Clunkers of Vietnam
-----------
F102 - Nothing to shoot down, trials were made of using Falcons
against ground targets"

http://www.war-stories.com/t_jensen.htm
Numerous references to NVA attacks where F-102 alert aircraft were parked.

http://www.dposs.com/t_jensen-dab-bush-account-1965.htm
also talks about NVA attacks and F102s. There are also some pics available.

I do remember that the F102s were deployed to VietName but do not remember
what the unit was involved or how long they stayed, not long for sure since
there was nothing for them to do.

MikeT

Old September 6th 03, 02:35 AM
av8r

Hi John

Good timing. I'm presently working on a journal article about F-102 ops
in Viet Nam and Thailand code named 'Water Glass' and 'Candy Time'.

The following active duty units operated the Convair the F-102A and
TF-102's in Viet Nam and Thailand:

64th FIS/405th FW
82nd FIS/51st FW
509th FIS/405th FW

Cheers...Chris

Old September 6th 03, 04:23 AM
David Hartung

"av8r" wrote in message
Hi John

Good timing. I'm presently working on a journal article about F-102 ops
in Viet Nam and Thailand code named 'Water Glass' and 'Candy Time'.

The following active duty units operated the Convair the F-102A and
TF-102's in Viet Nam and Thailand:

64th FIS/405th FW
82nd FIS/51st FW
509th FIS/405th FW

Just out of curiosity, does your research make any reference to 102 pilots
from the 176th FIS?Wis.ANG, serving in Viet Nam. This was my Dad's old
outfit.

Old March 5th 06, 04:13 AM
bjholt bjholt is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r
Hi John

Good timing. I'm presently working on a journal article about F-102 ops
in Viet Nam and Thailand code named 'Water Glass' and 'Candy Time'.

The following active duty units operated the Convair the F-102A and
TF-102's in Viet Nam and Thailand:

64th FIS/405th FW
82nd FIS/51st FW
509th FIS/405th FW

Cheers...Chris
I am very interested in reading your article. I participated in Operation Waterglass in 1962 and know quite a bit about it and the F102 in general.
Old September 6th 03, 06:14 AM
Jim Thomas

F-102s were stationed in Thailand, in 1967, primarily as weather recon
aircraft.

At one point in 1967, (I think around September) there was a Search and
Rescue (SAR) effort near Route 9 (in N. Vietnam, just east of the border
with Laos). I was Sandy lead for this mission. Several SAMs were fired;
turns out, all or most were fired at the F-102s, our MIG cap, not at us.

None hit (and the downed pilot was rescued). Later on, I talked to some
of the F-102 pilots. This was the high point of their tour: they were
shot at.

Seems to me that the worst thing that can happen to a warrior is not to
be allowed to take part. There were lots of warriors in the F-102 bunch.

Jim Thomas

Old September 10th 03, 06:17 PM
Harry Andreas

In article t, Jim
Thomas wrote:

F-102s were stationed in Thailand, in 1967, primarily as weather recon
aircraft.

At one point in 1967, (I think around September) there was a Search and
Rescue (SAR) effort near Route 9 (in N. Vietnam, just east of the border
with Laos). I was Sandy lead for this mission. Several SAMs were fired;
turns out, all or most were fired at the F-102s, our MIG cap, not at us.

None hit (and the downed pilot was rescued). Later on, I talked to some
of the F-102 pilots. This was the high point of their tour: they were
shot at.

Seems to me that the worst thing that can happen to a warrior is not to
be allowed to take part. There were lots of warriors in the F-102 bunch.

Jim,
wondering about your thoughts on RCS of the F-102 vs the A-1's?
(Assuming you were in A-1's)

Did they get shot at because of that big wing/big RCS, or because of
operating altitude?

regards

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old September 13th 03, 03:02 AM
Jim Thomas

In this case, I think the F-102s were targets because they were high. We
A1s and Jollys were at a couple thousand feet, as I recall.

Jim Thomas

Old September 6th 03, 07:15 PM
RCold36

Subject: What F-102 units were called up for Viet Nam
From: Scott Peterson

Not sure what or where they came from, but there were 2 F-102's at Don Muang
RTAF when I arrived there in early November 1961. I was in the AF on project
Able Mable with 4 RF-101C's for recce work over Laos.

Roy Colding USAF Ret.
email: