More on Powell and the guard

Old March 4th 04, 03:41 PM
vincent p. norris

The big guys to bombers, small guys to fighters concept is strictly an
urban legend. And, it isn't simply related to Century Series--take a
look at Robin Olds, 6' 2".......

When I finished Basic at Pensacola in 1950 and got to Corpus Christi
for Advanced, we were told that anyone over 5' 10" could forget about
getting into F8Fs.

vince norris
Old March 5th 04, 10:53 AM
Cub Driver

When I finished Basic at Pensacola in 1950 and got to Corpus Christi
for Advanced, we were told that anyone over 5' 10" could forget about
getting into F8Fs.

I suspect that was pretty much true of WWII fighter pilots. R T Smith
of the AVG Flying Tigers noted the difficulty he had in cramming
himself into a P-40. While there were six-foot fighter pilots in those
years, just as there are six-foot downhill racers, more typical in
both these fields of endeavor was the stocky, fireplug guy. Think
Chuck Yeager.

With respect to bombers, Glen Edwards noted his discomfort in the
B-17, and his relief when got into the A-20 where he could reach the
pedals without stretching.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 5th 04, 03:17 PM
Dudley Henriques

Subject: More on Powell and the guard
From: Cub Driver
Date: 3/5/04 1:53 AM Pacific Standard Time

When I finished Basic at Pensacola in 1950 and got to Corpus Christi
for Advanced, we were told that anyone over 5' 10" could forget about
getting into F8Fs.

I suspect that was pretty much true of WWII fighter pilots. R T Smith
of the AVG Flying Tigers noted the difficulty he had in cramming
himself into a P-40. While there were six-foot fighter pilots in those
years, just as there are six-foot downhill racers, more typical in
both these fields of endeavor was the stocky, fireplug guy. Think
Chuck Yeager.

With respect to bombers, Glen Edwards noted his discomfort in the
B-17, and his relief when got into the A-20 where he could reach the
pedals without stretching.

I was 5'11" and couldn't sit straight up in the nose of a B-26 If I did my

flak
helmet would slide down over my eyes. what a pain.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

I don't know about any "history" involved, but the cockpit of the 51, the
P40, and the Jug will easily handle a six footer. Of all the prop fighters I
have flown, the F8F was the tightest.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Old March 5th 04, 03:29 PM
ArtKramr

From: "Dudley Henriques"
Date: 3/5/04 6:17 AM Pacific Standard Time

I was 5'11" and couldn't sit straight up in the nose of a B-26 If I did my
flak
helmet would slide down over my eyes. what a pain.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

I don't know about any "history" involved, but the cockpit of the 51, the
P40, and the Jug will easily handle a six footer. Of all the prop fighters I
have flown, the F8F was the tightest.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

I always love to hear from guys who really flew great stuff. How many different
planes did you fly and how many hours did you stack up? It all adds up to
experience. The more the better.

Old March 5th 04, 04:35 PM
Dudley Henriques

From: "Dudley Henriques"
Date: 3/5/04 6:17 AM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

I mean no offense Art, and I realize your request is sincere, but FWIW as a
general post to friend and foe alike;

It's just a fact of life as an unfortunate circumstance of posting on RAM
that the listing of specific experience serves no constructive purpose
whatsoever. Actually, this is true of Usenet in general, but speciffically
on RAM!
First of all, the annonimity of Usenet dictates that even a post from the
President of the United States might very well be from a sixty five year old
Cajin woman with a wart on her ass sitting at a computer console in a shack
along the Mississippi :-) Then after you get through that scenario, you have
to accept the fact that even if you have an image of the poster, that image
could be of someone else.
Then, after all this has been solved, and assuming the poster is authantic,
the posting of specific experience and qualifications can only be verified
by the addition of peripheral personal information that a ligimate poster
might not wish to release.
In my case, I use my own name. There is a literal ton of information on me
both in printed media and on the net. The listing of my quals and experience
will impress no one who already knows me, and will only invite hostile posts
from those who don't, and I no longer wish to deal with this on Usenet.

Old March 5th 04, 04:56 PM
Dudley Henriques

From: "Dudley Henriques"
Date: 3/5/04 6:17 AM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

whatsoever. Actually, this is true of Usenet in general, but specifically
on RAM!
First of all, the anonymity of Usenet dictates that even a post from the
President of the United States might very well be from a sixty five year old
Cajon woman with a wart on her ass sitting at a computer console in a shack
along the Mississippi :-) Then after you get through that scenario, you have
to accept the fact that even if you have an image of the poster, that image
could be of someone else.
Then, after all this has been solved, and assuming the poster is authentic,
the posting of specific experience and qualifications can only be verified
by the addition of peripheral personal information that a legitimate poster
might not wish to release.
In my case, I use my own name. There is literally ton of information on me
both in printed media and on the net available to anyone bored enough with
their lives to want to dig it up :-) The listing of my quals and experience
will impress no one who already knows me, and will only invite hostile posts
from those who don't know me, and I no longer wish to deal with this on

Old March 5th 04, 05:34 PM
Mike Marron

"Dudley Henriques" wrote:

[...]

My sentiments exactly, Dudley, however, ironic as hell that you're
responding to Kramer, whom as we all know was guilty of behaving
exactly like that "Cajon woman with a wart on her ass" that you so
aptly described above (e.g: his "Autocollimator" alter ego).

Old March 5th 04, 09:23 PM
ArtKramr

From: "Dudley Henriques"
Date: 3/5/04 7:35 AM Pacific Standard Time

From: "Dudley Henriques"

Date: 3/5/04 6:17 AM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

Gotcha. Went to Google typed in your name and got 10 hits on the first page
with 10 more pages to go. Off to read it all. Get back to you.