Any sailplane pilots?

Old December 21st 03, 03:44 PM
Larry Dighera

Default Any sailplane pilots?

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 06:00:30 GMT, "Chuck" wrote
in Message-Id: . net:

My cousin just bought a Schweizer 1 36 sailplane.

I've some experience with the Schweizer 1-26. It had an L/D of 30
IIRC. Do you know the L/D of the 1-36?
http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Gallery/Photo/Schweizer-1-36/

We took it to the airport today where he is going to hanger it today, and
put her together so the FAA could give the stamp of approval with the
airworthiness certificate.

Looks like the sailplane could be alot of fun.

It is a contest between the pilot and mother nature. The idea is to
spend more time in rising air than sinking air, and thus gain and
sustain altitude. The pilot must mentally visualize the movements of
the air masses in his vicinity, due to convective and orographic
vertical displacement, solely through interpreting instrument
indications and seat-of-the-pants cues.

The spectrum of soaring meteorological conditions ranges from flat
(little or no vertical movement of the air mass) to booming. During
the latter, the pilot is nearly unable to prevent his ship from
rising; it's like having a motor. On an average day, a pilot will
spend a great deal of time attempting to "core" thermals. That
involves mentally visualizing the sailplane's position relative to the
thermal's vertical anticyclone column center, and guiding his
sailplane to circle as near to the center of it as he is able.
Because this can require banks in excess of 60 degrees, occupants ware
a parachute. Such long, constant high-G circling can adversely affect
passengers of multi-place sailplanes, but the pilot will find it
exhilarating. The sport of soaring adds another dimension to similar
naturally powered sports such as sailing, surfing, and skiing...

I have never been around them before.

Just wondering how many guys fly gliders...

[newsgroup rec.aviation.soaring added]

Old December 25th 03, 11:03 PM
Eric Greenwell

Larry Dighera wrote:

The spectrum of soaring meteorological conditions ranges from flat
(little or no vertical movement of the air mass) to booming. During
the latter, the pilot is nearly unable to prevent his ship from
rising; it's like having a motor. On an average day, a pilot will
spend a great deal of time attempting to "core" thermals. That
involves mentally visualizing the sailplane's position relative to the
thermal's vertical anticyclone column center, and guiding his
sailplane to circle as near to the center of it as he is able.
Because this can require banks in excess of 60 degrees, occupants ware
a parachute. Such long, constant high-G circling can adversely affect
passengers of multi-place sailplanes, but the pilot will find it
exhilarating. The sport of soaring adds another dimension to similar
naturally powered sports such as sailing, surfing, and skiing...

Just in case you might get the idea from Larry that we all have our
blood at our feet from G loads, note that _most_ us use more like a 30
degree bank (g load hardly noticeable after a few flights), and can go
up just fine!

And for _most_ of us, wearing a parachute doesn't have anything to do
with circling in thermals. They aren't required except in contests, but
most private owners end up with one for various reasons, and wear it all
the time (sort of like wearing a seat belt in a car). Clubs aren't so
likely to use them while flying their gliders.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old December 26th 03, 09:00 AM
K.P. Termaat

Larry wrote:

On an average day, a pilot will
spend a great deal of time attempting to "core" thermals. That
involves mentally visualizing the sailplane's position relative to the
thermal's vertical anticyclone column center, and guiding his
sailplane to circle as near to the center of it as he is able.

Why do you write "anticyclone" Larry. This would mean that all gliders would
circle righthanded to stay as close to the core as possible thereby using
the headwind of the thermal.
I have never found a meteorological reason to circle in a certain direction.
Most pilots circle lefthanded just because they were tought to do so in the
vicinity of their home field. However in x-country flights there is usually
no preference. In low situations the pilot usually circles in the direction
he feels most comfortable. Sometimes the gliders feels better when circling
to the right rather then to the left is my experience.

Karel, NL

"Eric Greenwell" schreef in bericht

Old December 26th 03, 01:42 PM
Robin Birch

In message , Eric Greenwell
writes
Larry Dighera wrote:

[...]

Don't know about the states but we use parachutes in everything. As far
as I know everybody does in the UK.

Robin
--
Robin Birch
Old December 26th 03, 07:07 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 09:00:24 GMT, "K.P. Termaat" wrote
in Message-Id: :

Larry wrote:

On an average day, a pilot will
spend a great deal of time attempting to "core" thermals. That
involves mentally visualizing the sailplane's position relative to the
thermal's vertical anticyclone column center, and guiding his
sailplane to circle as near to the center of it as he is able.

Why do you write "anticyclone" Larry.

That was my recollection from my soaring experience in the early '70s.
However, it appears that the word 'cyclone' may have more correct now
that I have done some research:

The National Weather Service Glossary page here
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Phoenix/general/glossary/ has this to say:

ANTICYCLONE - A region of high atmospheric pressure around which
winds move in a clockwise direction in the northern hemisphere.
Generally associated with warm and dry weather

CYCLONE - An area of low pressure around which winds blow in a
counter-clockwise fashion in the northern hemisphere. Generally
associated with cool, wet and unsettled weather

On the other hand ...

This would mean that all gliders would circle righthanded to stay as close
to the core as possible thereby using the headwind of the thermal.

I'll defer to these sources:

http://www.rc-soar.com/tech/thermals.htm
Do thermals rotate?
They do, but not predictably. Even dust devils don't have a
preferred direction of rotation (see Stull, p.449). Thermals are
too small and too short-lived to be affected by the earth's
rotation (Coriolis force) or by the equator/pole thermal gradient.
Their rotation is determined by local terrain. Rotational velocity
in the core of a typical thermal is small compared to the vertical
velocity.

http://www.skynomad.com/articles/athermal10.html
THERMALS

Do Thermals Spin?
by Peter Gray

Of course, dust devils spin, so thermals probably do also, at
least when they're close to the ground. For many years, I was
convinced that dust devils rotated in random directions. However,
based on a few flights in northern Washington State, where I kept
more careful mental notes, I would guess that about 2/3 to 3/4 of
the dust devils there spin counterclockwise, in agreement with the
Coriolis Effect. Contrary to popular belief, the smaller-scale
equivalent, water going down a toilet or drain, is essentially
unaffected, and the rotation, if it is biased toward one spin
direction, is the result of the geometry of each such basin (check
it out for yourself!).

The dust devils formed by thermals seem to be just large
enough to be affected somewhat by the Coriolis Effect. If I have
the choice, I usually opt for circling against the dust devil's
rotation, most often to the right, in case this will produce a
better climb rate by reducing my circling ground speed, thus bank
angle and sinkrate.

However, when I have reversed direction several times in one
climb, I have rarely detected a significant advantage in one
direction. What little angular momentum thermals start with, they
seem to lose through drag in the surrounding air, and they
probably start with little spin anyway. As with water going down a
drain, very little spin momentum at a large radius can translate
to a rapid spin when the radius shrinks to that of a dust devil.

I have never found a meteorological reason to circle in a certain direction.
Most pilots circle lefthanded just because they were tought to do so in the
vicinity of their home field. However in x-country flights there is usually
no preference. In low situations the pilot usually circles in the direction
he feels most comfortable. Sometimes the gliders feels better when circling
to the right rather then to the left is my experience.

Karel, NL

Agreed. Circling direction is more often dictated by other gliders in
the thermal than meteorological phenomena and physics.

Old December 26th 03, 07:43 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , Robin Birch robinb@r
Don't know about the states but we use parachutes in everything. As far
as I know everybody does in the UK.

Robin

Everything except driving the tug.
--
Mike Lindsay
Old December 27th 03, 08:59 AM
K.P. Termaat

Thanks Larry for your interesting respons with your links to the articles.

As a matter of fact most members of our National Team (my son is one of
them) tend to circle to the right when low. They don't in effect know why.
They say, and I agree, that it usually feels better in getting up again. So
Peter Gray may be right in saying that most of the thermals have the
tendency to rotate to the left in the northern hemisphere, especially when
low when still having small diameters. Coriolis may be the cause then. Would
be interesting to know the experience in the southern hemisphere.

Talking about a drain and water brings me to the idea of telling that when
low and looking for a thermal I always try to locate small ponds in dry
areas. It looks to me that the water vapor rising from these ponds is an
excellent means of starting a thermal. Water vapor is lighter then air, so
it increases the boyancy of the air over the pond and off it goes. Starting
at about ground level, circling to the right may then generally be the
better option. Any experience with this Larry?

Karel, NL

"Larry Dighera" schreef in bericht

Old December 27th 03, 04:39 PM
Charles Yeates

Maybe it is simply an ergonomics thing --- I feel more comfortable
circling to the right in clutch situations simply because it is easier
to pull and adjust rather than push and adjust in right turns.

Old December 27th 03, 06:06 PM
Eric Greenwell

Charles Yeates wrote:
Maybe it is simply an ergonomics thing --- I feel more comfortable
circling to the right in clutch situations simply because it is easier
to pull and adjust rather than push and adjust in right turns.

For me, it's just habit: when I was learning to fly, we'd always get off
tow in a thermal; since we'd always depart tow with a turn to the right,
it was easiest to just continue turning right in the thermal.

For a few flights before a contest, I'll make an effort to fly at least
half my thermals to the left, so I'm ready for the left turns required
at US contests near the start and at turnpoints.

--
-----

Old December 27th 03, 06:40 PM
Chris Rowland

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 10:06:17 -0800, Eric Greenwell
wrote:

Charles Yeates wrote:
Maybe it is simply an ergonomics thing --- I feel more comfortable
circling to the right in clutch situations simply because it is easier
to pull and adjust rather than push and adjust in right turns.

For me, it's just habit: when I was learning to fly, we'd always get off
tow in a thermal; since we'd always depart tow with a turn to the right,
it was easiest to just continue turning right in the thermal.

Its my opinion that some thermals work better turning one way rather
than the other. If it doesn't seem to be working one way I'll reverse
the turn and try the other way. Sometimes it helps.

I get the impression there are days where the thermals are right
handed (or left handed). I've no idea if this is a coriolis thing
(although if somebiody wants to sponsor me to do a research project
involving a few months Gliding in OZ and NZ I wouldn't mind:-).

And some gliders, particularly much repaired club gliders, seem to
turn better one way rather than the other. It was a revelation when I
first flew something that was straight, it could turn equally well
both ways.

For a few flights before a contest, I'll make an effort to fly at least
half my thermals to the left, so I'm ready for the left turns required
at US contests near the start and at turnpoints.

Yes, If I find I'm getting handed I'll do this, just because I always
want the choice.

Chris