Any sailplane pilots?

Old December 29th 03, 05:37 AM
Mike Rapoport

"K.P. Termaat" wrote in message
Thanks Larry for your interesting respons with your links to the articles.

Talking about a drain and water brings me to the idea of telling that when
low and looking for a thermal I always try to locate small ponds in dry
areas. It looks to me that the water vapor rising from these ponds is an
excellent means of starting a thermal. Water vapor is lighter then air, so
it increases the boyancy of the air over the pond and off it goes.

Starting
at about ground level, circling to the right may then generally be the
better option. Any experience with this Larry?

Karel, NL

You will find less lift over water of any kind, even if it is contained in
vegetation. The best lift is always over the highest, dryest, darkest
surface around. The water vapor idea is...well...it is hard to find a place
to start...but it won't work

Mike
MU-2

Old December 29th 03, 08:02 AM
Fantsu

"Phoebus_810" wrote in message
m...
Eric Greenwell wrote in message

Charles Yeates wrote:
Maybe it is simply an ergonomics thing --- I feel more comfortable
circling to the right in clutch situations simply because it is easier
to pull and adjust rather than push and adjust in right turns.

For me, it's just habit: when I was learning to fly, we'd always get off
tow in a thermal; since we'd always depart tow with a turn to the right,
it was easiest to just continue turning right in the thermal.

For a few flights before a contest, I'll make an effort to fly at least
half my thermals to the left, so I'm ready for the left turns required
at US contests near the start and at turnpoints.

In Finland we consider it aerobatics to fly right turn in a termal.

Eh..then we don't fly in the same Finland

Most competition pilots at least can fly them bothways, though near the
airfield in comps turning left is obligatory (and it's also the way to get
away from the tug)

Old December 29th 03, 10:24 AM
K.P. Termaat

My experience is that it works, especially on days with very low humidity,
but no boomers and only low.
I'am talking about small shallow ponds in dry area's especially when the
ponds are surrounded by sandy grounds with higher vegetation like trees. The
buoyancy impuls from the evaporated water is apparently just good enough to
start the thermal which then sucks air from its heated up vicinity.
Has saved me many times when I was still flying my Pik20D or more recently
my DG800S.

Karel, NL
V-2cxT

"Mike Rapoport" schreef in bericht
ink.net...

Old December 29th 03, 02:11 PM
William W. Plummer

I didn't receive any direction about which way to circle. Common sense
would rule out going against the traffic in an established pattern.

If there is a "standard" I wonder if it is related to the default for holds
(right) in airplanes. I used to wonder why the default for holds is to the
right but the default for VFR patterns at airports is left. --Bill

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message

Agreed. Circling direction is more often dictated by other gliders in
the thermal than meteorological phenomena and physics.

The protocol I was taught was that unless you are first into the
thermal, you follow the left or right pattern of the gliders already

there.
I've never had a preference of right or left. I was taught to turn

into
whichever wingtip went up.
I was also taught that the most efficient technique, that is the
highest rate of altitude gain, is in a 45-degree bank turn hopefully
"coring" the thermal.
Up here in the Mojave Desert flying out of IYK, I've been in a couple

of
10 Knot thermals but 5 to 6 is the most common. I can't ever remember any
kind of cyclonic rotation of any of them.
That said, I did once, inadvertantly fly into a dust-devil. I NEVER

want
to do that again. If I had seen any dust indication that it was there I
would definitely have avoided it in the first place.

Old December 29th 03, 02:51 PM
K.P. Termaat

The "standard" is to circle to the left. Usually this is a must near glider
airfields, especially with a competition going on. This is for safety
reasons.
While on x-country and joining other gliders, the circle direction is given
by these other gliders in the same thermal.
When alone and hitting a thermal, the direction to turn into is where you
suspect the thermal to be. Some experience is required for that. It always
makes sense to circle towards the direction of rotation of the thermal if
there is any rotation. Some pilots have the idea that 2/3 of the thermals
rotate counter clockwise looking from below. I have the idea that this may
be true, but only at low altitudes. That's why quite a lot of pilots, and I
am one of them, circle to the right when low. Some other pilots think that
there is no rotation at all, except in very narrow dust devils which are
unsuitable to fly in.

Karel, NL

Old December 29th 03, 03:06 PM
Kirk Stant

"K.P. Termaat" wrote in message ...
My experience is that it works, especially on days with very low humidity,
but no boomers and only low.

"Mike Rapoport" schreef in bericht
ink.net...

You will find less lift over water of any kind, even if it is contained in
vegetation. The best lift is always over the highest, dryest, darkest
surface around. The water vapor idea is...well...it is hard to find a

place
to start...but it won't work

Mike
MU-2

Have to disagree with you, Mike - out here in Arizona, in the desert
areas that are not irrigated, we often find good lift directly over
small cattle "tanks" - small shallow ponds that are scattered around.
A lot of us have noticed this and compared notes, and it works; if too
low to get to high, dark ground, I'll head for the nearest pond and it
will usually turn up a nice thermal. We think it may be due to the
fact that the ponds are in a natural low spot, and coupled with the
little bit of moisture, could be the necessary trigger for a thermal.

Now obviously, large irrigated farm fields or river basins are death
to thermals - but a local lake (reservoir) seems to have little effect
on thermal activity - could it be all the drunk boaters?

What's the old saying about never saying never?

Kirk
LS6-b
Old December 29th 03, 03:29 PM
Mike Rapoport

The moisture doesn't really help lift until the air is fuly saturated and
starts condensing releasing heat. Also, the air above the water is cooled
by evaporation and is cooler than the surrounding air. I will never say
never and I don't dispute your or others experience, but the explanation
doesn't make sense to me.

Mike
MU-2

"Kirk Stant" wrote in message
om...

Old December 29th 03, 03:38 PM
Andy Durbin

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message link.net...

You will find less lift over water of any kind, even if it is contained in
vegetation. The best lift is always over the highest, dryest, darkest
surface around. The water vapor idea is...well...it is hard to find a place
to start...but it won't work

Mike
MU-2

I hope you come and fly with us in Arizona some time. After a few
miles of cross country in the blue you may come to appreciate the
thermals triggered by the small ponds known as cattle tanks.

Been using them for over 15 years and no theororetical analysis will
convince me they dont work.

Andy (GY)
Old December 29th 03, 03:59 PM
Peter Creswick

Mike Rapoport wrote:

The moisture doesn't really help lift until the air is fuly saturated and
starts condensing releasing heat. Also, the air above the water is cooled
by evaporation and is cooler than the surrounding air. I will never say
never and I don't dispute your or others experience, but the explanation
doesn't make sense to me.

Mike
MU-2

"Kirk Stant" wrote in message
om...
"K.P. Termaat" wrote in message

[...]

Have seen similar effects over the small dams on farms here too. My idea is that the air over the
water cools by evaporating water out of the pond. In so doing it looses more heat and hence
contracts more (gets denser) than it gains buoyancy by water vapour increase, ie, it gets both
colder and denser overall than the surrounding surface air. As the dense pool of air becomes
greater, it spreads out, ie, sort of collapses on itself, and pushes out over the edges of the pond
/ dam, particularly down slope over the dam wall, creating a miniature equivalent of a valley wind
in the creek or down the slope, thus acting as a wedge trigger to lift the warm dry air off the
ground.