Where are the (retired) carriers?

Old November 5th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
DDAY

Default Where are the (retired) carriers?

I've been playing around with GoogleEarth and looking for decommissioned
aircraft carriers.

I have only found one, CV-66, at Philadelphia. Where were the others kept?

Old November 5th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Yeff

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 14:38:04 GMT, DDAY wrote:

I have only found one, CV-66, at Philadelphia. Where were the others kept?

Florida, where everything we retire ends up...

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail fm
Old November 5th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Jim

The America (CV(A)-66) is no more. She was sunk off the coast to provide
vital information for future carrier construction.

nk.net...

Old November 5th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"DDAY" wrote in message
nk.net...

I've been playing around with GoogleEarth and looking for decommissioned
aircraft carriers.

I have only found one, CV-66, at Philadelphia. Where were the others
kept?

Yorktown is in Charleston harbor.

Old November 5th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Andrew Venor

DDAY wrote:
I've been playing around with GoogleEarth and looking for decommissioned
aircraft carriers.

I have only found one, CV-66, at Philadelphia. Where were the others kept?

USS Hornet is in Alameda, California. You can find USS Midway in Google
Earth a few miles away in Oakland. However the picture is a few years
old, because Midway is now located in downtown San Diego.

You can find USS Intrepid if you zoom in on the upper West side of
Manhattan. Though she was moved to a dry dock in New Jerry last week for
maintenance.

USS Lexington is a museum in Corpus Christi, Texas, and the USS Yorktown
is one in Charleston, South Carolina.

Other decommissioned US carriers can be found in Bremmerton, Washington,
and Newport, Road Island.

If you zoom in to Toulon, France you can see the Clemenceau. And if you
pan over to Portsmith, England you can see the HMS Invincible. Although
she is in reserve, not decommissioned.

ALV
Old November 5th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Andrew Venor

Andrew Venor wrote:

DDAY wrote:

[...]

I guess I should also add the INS Vikrant, which is now a museum ship in
Mumbai (Bombay) India.

ALV
Old November 5th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Starshiy Nemo

Hello
Former Clemenceau is no more in Toulon. She is now in Brest, Britanny

Regards
Old November 5th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
DDAY

----------
In article , "Jim"
wrote:

The America (CV(A)-66) is no more. She was sunk off the coast to provide
vital information for future carrier construction.

I was aware of that. However, most of the Google images are a number of
years old.

I should have clarified a bit: where are the retired supercarriers? Where's
the Forrestal, Independence, etc? I thought that they were all kept at
Philly and not yet scrapped, but I cannot find them.

I've already found the Midway (in Oakland, before her move to SD), Hornet,
Lexington, Yorktown, Intrepid (moving five miles in a few days so she can be
cleaned and painted), and a number of active carriers. I've also found the
Oriskany, prior to her sinking. But I have not found the big carriers.

Old November 5th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Allen[_2_]

In article ,
Andrew Venor wrote:

That's Saratoga and Forrestal in Newport Rhode Island. Good res photo of
them side-by-side just north of the war college on GE.

Pugs
Old November 5th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Andrew Venor

Starshiy Nemo wrote:
Hello
Former Clemenceau is no more in Toulon. She is now in Brest, Britanny

Regards

Thanks for the update. I had thought she had been moved to Brest.
However the satellite images in Google Earth are about three years old,
so the program still shows her in Toulon.

ALV