MATs

Old January 27th 15, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Default MATs

Sean Fidler's contest tasking statistics were an eye opener for me. I did 2 contests last year and in both, only TATs were called. I didn't realize how common MATs were.

I cannot find any information on the strategy to use to fly them competitively nor can I find anything that gives one an idea how to set up a MAT in one's flight computer. (Nor how and when to change the task in mid flight.)

Any advice (or direction to documents) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance -

Lou
Old January 27th 15, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

I cannot find any information on the strategy to use to fly them competitively nor can I find anything that gives one an idea how to set up a MAT in one's flight computer. (Nor how and when to change the task in mid flight.)

Any advice (or direction to documents) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance -

Lou

Have you tried the appendix to the rules, John Good's guide to sailplane competition, and the instrument owner's manual? The clearnav has extensive MAT management tools.
John Cochrane
Old January 27th 15, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Monday, January 26, 2015 at 8:48:24 PM UTC-7, MNLou wrote:
Sean Fidler's contest tasking statistics were an eye opener for me. I did 2 contests last year and in both, only TATs were called. I didn't realize how common MATs were.

I cannot find any information on the strategy to use to fly them competitively nor can I find anything that gives one an idea how to set up a MAT in one's flight computer. (Nor how and when to change the task in mid flight..)

Any advice (or direction to documents) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance -

Lou

MATs with multiple-assigned turnpoints can be a lot of fun - you essentially fly an AST until you run out of time and then head home. It's a real race, but even the slower guys can have fun and don't end up stuck in a field 50 miles from home.

MATs with one or two turnpoints are tricky - essentially after the first mandated turn(s) they turn into an OLC flights with turnpoints! My main advice here is to choose to fly in a part of the task area that has quite a few alternate turnpoints just in case one or more are blocked by bad weather. Don't ask me how I discovered this!

Mike
Old January 27th 15, 06:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

It is highly underestimated how complex one or zero turn MATS really are. Yes, they ARE very, very common. And yes, they are rapidly increasing in total percentage of US tasks!

Less experienced contest pilots all seem to struggle to get their head around the OLC tasks (one or zero turn HAT). I did. I still cannot stand them Becuase they are about local knowledge and guessing (luck) than anything else.

Pilot management of the "free" portion of the OLC task is very difficult. This is especially true if you are not a local pilot and are unfamiliar with the flying area visually. Errors in managing turnpoint order (and rules) has huge potential influence on the scores and ultimately the final contest results. Ones "ability" to quickly program expensive flight computers "on the fly" in order to better understand possible "free" HAT turnpoint combinations that will best use up available minimum time (vs. your competitor) is a critical success factor. This best combination of free turnpoints is constantly changing as conditions change along the task. This experience is fairly similar to the complexity (and luck) of wide (60 mile diameter) area TATs (slightly constrained OLC task). But nothing introduces luck like an OLC HAT task!

ASTs or "too long" MATs (very rare BTW) are far, far easier tasks to manage from a flight computer, strategy and local knowledge standpoint. Especially for beginners or people without expensive computers on board. A $50 handheld GPS is all you really need! With a Lomg MAT, Even 15 minutes of extra time for "free" turnpoints at the end of the task can dramatically change the result (from the end of the assigned portion). The free portion of a MAT essentially "destroys" the MAT task by introducing OLC like behaviors (and complexity and luck).

Study hard but the only way to get good at OLC tasks is local knowledge and a lot of practice (an expensive flight computer helps too). Expect more and more of them if the current trends continue. I would say 50% in 3-5 years is possible in the US.

Old January 27th 15, 07:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

It is highly underestimated how complex one or zero turn MATS really are. Yes, they ARE very, very common. Yes, they are rapidly increasing in total percentage of US tasks!

Less experienced contest pilots (unsurprisingly) seem to struggle with getting their heads around the OLC tasks (one or zero turn HAT). I did. I still cannot stand them becuase they are about more about local knowledge than anything else (see OLC).

Task management of the "free" portion of the OLC task is very difficult. This is especially true if you are not a local pilot and are unfamiliar with the flying area. Errors in managing turnpoint order (and rules) has huge potential influence on the scores and ultimately the final contest results. A pilots "ability" to quickly and constantly program expensive flight computers "on the fly" in order to better understand possible "free" HAT turnpoint combinations that will best use up available minimum time (vs. your competitor) is a critical success factor. This best combination of free turnpoints is, of course, constantly changing as conditions and circumstances change along the task. This experience is fairly similar to the decision making complexity (and luck) of wide (60 mile diameter) area TATs (aka slightly constrained OLC task). But nothing introduces luck like an OLC HAT task!

ASTs or "very long" MATs (actually fairly rare BTW) are far, far easier tasks to manage from a flight computer, strategy and local knowledge standpoint. This is more about flying well and less about wild variances in strategy. Especially for beginners or people without expensive computers on board.. A $50 handheld GPS is all you need! But even with a "long" MAT, As little as 15 minutes of "extra time" for "free" turnpoints at the "end" of the task can dramatically change the result (vs. the end of the assigned portion). The free portion of a MAT can essentially "destroys" the MATs assigned purity by introducing OLC like behaviors (massive swings in strategy, risk, complexity and of course luck).

Study "the guide" but the only way to get good at OLC tasks is local knowledge and a lot of practice (an expensive flight computer helps too). Expect more and more OLC "MATs" in the USA if the current trends continue. I would say 50% of all US task may be OLC (MATs, many of them the very short one or zero TP variety) in 3-5 years. We are on route to becoming OLC nation!
Old January 27th 15, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 2:17:04 AM UTC-5, Sean Fidler wrote:
[...]

Sean, you are bringing very good points. We should actually ban MAT tasks in favor of AST tasks with an option to turn home early. That way a contest director would be forced to assign enough turn points for the fastest guys.

If we did this the outcome would probably be TAT with 30 miles radius.

You just can't win. Even using the current rules CDs could do the right thing. Why aren't they? I always thought that the objective of the contest day was to get back for the evening beer and food . Time to find a crew so they can get me beer to the field and food

I think for Nationals MATs with one turn points should be simply banned.

AK
Old January 27th 15, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 at 9:51:39 AM UTC-6, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
[...]

I'd be fine with long MAT's since they keep the class flying the same turnpoints in the same air mass. Combine that with a min. time that uses the soaring day well and you have a race. As Sean pointed out, the problem with that concept is the end of the MAT. In order to keep the beginner/intermediate pilots close to the finish to reduce land-outs, the last called TP's are often chosen too close in. That makes for a short-legged cat's cradle that to me is no fun to fly. I like long lines and fewer TP's further away. To beginners, that's intimidating. As BB pointed out, they may experience too many land-outs and not come back.
This coming season, I suggest the CD at all contests spend more time questioning pilots about the previous day's task. That kind of critique many CD's don't want to hear, I'm afraid since the Monday morning quarterbacks will come at them. However, I encourage them to get that kind of feedback and adjust task calling.
Herb
Old January 27th 15, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

I flew my first multiple-turnpoint MAT at Region 9 a couple of years ago and there were enough turnpoints that the fastest guys had essentially an AST.. The slower guys (including me) skipped the last one or two turnpoints and headed home. It was a blast and felt like a real race even for us slower guys.

On your flight computer, you set it up as an AST and just head for home when time is up! In this task, you concentrate on racing in the same sky as everyone else.

Sean and I agree on at least one thing - single turnpoint MATs suck!

Mike
Old January 27th 15, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Having CD'd a number of contests with tricky weather, I'll give you my perspective.

1. I certainly agree that 1 turn MATs should be used (if at all) as very much a last resort. There are certain types of terrain where there are enough "self-evident" options that once you are at the declared turnpoint, it should be obvious what the one or two viable choices would be (e.g. dropping the fleet at Burnt Cabins on the Fairfield ridges, the only viable option is to go Northeast to one of several turnpoints). Similar situations exist at other mountian and ridge sites. That said, I would certainly consider NOT calling such a task and taking the risk that some of the newer pilots might be intimidated by second, third, or fourth turnpoints in a long MAT. Worth a deep discussion and I've certainly become more sensitive to the 1 turn MAT.

2. Another MAT that is very marginal is the "pick one of X first turnpoints" scattered across the map. To me, this is the most luck-prone, random outcome option. Frankly, I'd much rather have 3 options in the can up front and call the task in the air (e.g. Task A is a 2 turn MAT to the SE, Task B is a 2 turn to the NW, Task C is 2 turns to the S).

3. I've now called a number of long MATs, and the feedback I've gotten is very favorable. I strongly believe that an MAT where say 70% of the fleet doesn't even add turnpoints is a very good call. It's essentially an AST with some added tactical considerations for the end game.

4. I've been called an "aggressive" CD for some calls in marginal (weak) weather where I used AATs with relatively small areas. Believe me when I say that sending 25 gliders out and having 22 landouts in fields is NOT a pleasant feeling. With bigger (18M) and more expensive ($150K+) gliders replacing the $30K 15M/Std gliders of the early 1980s, the financial risks are very, very real.

5. The net of the above is that it's not the rules that are the "problem". I think more explicit guidance for CDs backed up with specific scenarios and alternatives might result in some "improvements". RC, I'll volunteer to document some examples and alternatives, if needed.

Okay - off to start shovelling out from the current blizzard. It's gonna be a long winter...

Erik Mann (P3)