FAA proposed change regarding instrument currency

Old February 8th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Guy Elden Jr

Default FAA proposed change regarding instrument currency

Among other things included in the massive list of changes the FAA is
proposing to Part 61 is a new allowance for utilizing PCATD, FS, and
FTDs in order to accomplish the recency of experience requirements for
IFR flight:

"Under proposed § 61.57(c)(2), a person could use an FS or FTD
exclusively by performing and logging at least 3 hours of instrument
recent flight experience within the 6 calendar months before the date
of the flight.

Under proposed § 61.57(c)(3), a person could use a PCATD exclusively
by having performed and logged at least 3 hours of instrument recent
experience within the 2 calendar months before the date of the flight.
We have deliberately proposed differences between the use of a PCATD
and an FS or FTD because use of a PCATD to maintain instrument recent
experience is a relatively new concept, and the FAA wants to further
evaluate its use before we allow use of PCATDs equal to that of FSs
and FTDs."

I didn't notice at first glance any additional requirements, such as
an instructor needing to be present when using these devices. This to
me certainly would make staying instrument current much easier, as you
could accomplish the requirements at home on a personal computer using
an approved software app. I think Elite is one such approved
application (at least when used in conjunction with an instructor)
right now.

Anybody have any thoughts on this change?

--
Guy

Old February 8th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
BDS[_2_]

"Guy Elden Jr" wrote...

I didn't notice at first glance any additional requirements, such as
an instructor needing to be present when using these devices. This to
me certainly would make staying instrument current much easier, as you
could accomplish the requirements at home on a personal computer using
an approved software app. I think Elite is one such approved
application (at least when used in conjunction with an instructor)
right now.

Anybody have any thoughts on this change?

--
Guy

I know that OnTop requires things like a radio stack to be plugged in in
order to actually qualify as a PCATD device. If you don't have that and the
other required "accessories" then you can only use it for "Personal Use" -
it won't even start up in PCATD mode without them.

BDS

Old February 8th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Scott Skylane

BDS wrote:

I know that OnTop requires things like a radio stack to be plugged in in
order to actually qualify as a PCATD device. If you don't have that and the
other required "accessories" then you can only use it for "Personal Use" -
it won't even start up in PCATD mode without them.

BDS

My thoughts exactly. Whatever hardware the FAA will require to meet the
new reg will be far beyond what most of us have at home.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old February 9th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Ray Andraka

Guy Elden Jr wrote:

I didn't notice at first glance any additional requirements, such as
an instructor needing to be present when using these devices. This to
me certainly would make staying instrument current much easier, as you
could accomplish the requirements at home on a personal computer using
an approved software app. I think Elite is one such approved
application (at least when used in conjunction with an instructor)
right now.

Anybody have any thoughts on this change?

--
Guy

You also need the hardware that goes with the softwa the radio stack
etc. in order for it to qualify as a PCATD. I believe you also need an
instructor present, and it may need the instructor's console connected
as well.
Old February 9th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Roger[_4_]

On 8 Feb 2007 11:53:22 -0800, "Guy Elden Jr"
wrote:

[...]

I believe both Elite and On-Top are approved, but only for student
training with an instructor present. Unless they changed the rules
neither is of any *official* help once you have the rating.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 9th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Roger[_4_]

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 13:16:23 -0900, Scott Skylane
wrote:

BDS wrote:

I know that OnTop requires things like a radio stack to be plugged in in
order to actually qualify as a PCATD device. If you don't have that and the
other required "accessories" then you can only use it for "Personal Use" -
it won't even start up in PCATD mode without them.

BDS

My thoughts exactly. Whatever hardware the FAA will require to meet the
new reg will be far beyond what most of us have at home.

For what that simulated stack costs I could fly a *lot* of hours in a
high performance, complex, retract.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Old February 10th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Jose

They propose to change the rules. Do you bit and comment on the NPRM.

Anybody got a pointer to it? I came up with several studies dating as
far back as 2003 with those reccomendations, but no NPRM.

Whatever happened to the DC ADIZ NPRM?

Jose
--
Humans are pack animals. Above all things, they have a deep need to
follow something, be it a leader, a creed, or a mob. Whosoever fully
Old February 10th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Barry

http://dms.dot.gov/search/document.c...docketid=26661

Old February 11th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Roger[_4_]

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 20:29:38 -0800, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

They propose to change the rules. Do you bit and comment on the NPRM.

Thanks Bob,

That'd sure save me a bunch and I wouldn't have to get out in this
*cold* weather. :-))

..