is it just me?

Old August 15th 04, 11:09 PM
Maule Driver

"Michael" wrote in message
Ever seen what happens when someone comes to the US from a country
where automobile ownership is rare and few people drive, in middle
age, and immediately starts learning to drive?

....or someone raised in Manhatten? My college buddy 'learned' to drive to
pass the test. First time he took the wheel in my presence he crashed into
a moving car while pulling out of the parking space. That summer he wiped a
Volvo. Not pretty.

I think I drove my first 100 miles moving cars around in the driveway. We
take our driving skills for granted.

Old August 16th 04, 05:56 PM
Robert Briggs

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"nooneimportant" wrote:

Students landing slightly long and not being able to make the
normal turnoff, thereby extending time on the runway while i'm on short
final, all kinds of factors.

There's not necessarily any problem there. Under the right conditions there
can be more than one airplane using the runway at any given moment.

True enough.

I think the most I've seen using one runway together is ten - but
the RAF Red Arrows (including the pilot of the reserve aeroplane)
know a thing or two about close-quarters flight ...
Old August 16th 04, 06:23 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Robert Briggs" wrote in message
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"nooneimportant" wrote:

Students landing slightly long and not being able to make the
normal turnoff, thereby extending time on the runway while i'm on

short
final, all kinds of factors.

There's not necessarily any problem there. Under the right conditions

there
can be more than one airplane using the runway at any given moment.

True enough.

I think the most I've seen using one runway together is ten - but
the RAF Red Arrows (including the pilot of the reserve aeroplane)
know a thing or two about close-quarters flight ...

If you think the only time more than one airplane can be using the runway at
any given moment is formation operations, you're mistaken.

Old August 16th 04, 07:33 PM
nooneimportant

hlink.net...

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"nooneimportant" wrote:

Students landing slightly long and not being able to make the
normal turnoff, thereby extending time on the runway while i'm on

short
final, all kinds of factors.

There's not necessarily any problem there. Under the right conditions

there
can be more than one airplane using the runway at any given moment.

True enough.

I think the most I've seen using one runway together is ten - but
the RAF Red Arrows (including the pilot of the reserve aeroplane)
know a thing or two about close-quarters flight ...

If you think the only time more than one airplane can be using the runway

at
any given moment is formation operations, you're mistaken.

Then enlighten us, from what i've been taught and understand its a 1 at a
time deal, exception would be formation flights, some LAHSO, and
emergencies. Its also a policy at our school to not simultaneously use a
runway (either in cooperation with CFR14 or in addition to CFR14).

Old August 16th 04, 08:53 PM
Orval Fairbairn

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"nooneimportant" wrote:

[...]

I have landed at Oshkosh, where they were landing 4 at a time (2 long, 2
at threshold) on 27 and two at a time on 18.
Old August 16th 04, 11:14 PM
Brian Burger

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"nooneimportant" wrote:

Students landing slightly long and not being able to make the
normal turnoff, thereby extending time on the runway while i'm on

short
final, all kinds of factors.

There's not necessarily any problem there. Under the right conditions

there
can be more than one airplane using the runway at any given moment.

True enough.

I think the most I've seen using one runway together is ten - but
the RAF Red Arrows (including the pilot of the reserve aeroplane)
know a thing or two about close-quarters flight ...

If you think the only time more than one airplane can be using the runway at
any given moment is formation operations, you're mistaken.

I've seen - been part of, actually - three light a/c on one 7000ft runway
at a time. Not formation, but Tower issuing 'postion & hold' to one a/c on
the end, and two coming off intersecting taxiways ahead, while we all
waited for a 737 to get far enough away for wake turb clearance.

Then there's LASHO - the US seems to have much more restrictive regs about
this, because it seems quite routine here in Canada. CYYJ has three
runways, all intersecting, and LASHO and 'position and hold' for takeoff are
both used to get max. usage out of our layout.

Brian.
PP-ASEL/Night.
Old August 17th 04, 03:34 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"nooneimportant" no.spam@me wrote in message

Then enlighten us, from what i've been taught and understand its a 1 at a
time deal, exception would be formation flights, some LAHSO, and
emergencies. Its also a policy at our school to not simultaneously use a
runway (either in cooperation with CFR14 or in addition to CFR14).

See links below. Is it your school's policy to avoid towered fields?

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/ATC/Chp3/atc0309.html#3-9-6

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/ATC/Chp3/atc0310.html#3-10-3

Old August 17th 04, 06:59 PM
Robert Briggs

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Robert Briggs wrote:
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Under the right conditions there can be more than one airplane
using the runway at any given moment.

I think the most I've seen using one runway together is ten - but
the RAF Red Arrows (including the pilot of the reserve aeroplane)
know a thing or two about close-quarters flight ...

If you think the only time more than one airplane can be using the runway
at any given moment is formation operations, you're mistaken.

I don't think that at all: I simply said that (AFAICR) the Reds (and
*possibly* the Patrouille de France and/or the Frecce Tricolori) have
provided the maximum that I have seen.

AFAIK, our CAA doesn't approve of LAHSO, so I've not seen that form
of dual runway occupancy.

Apart from formation operations of one sort or another, I can't think
of any example which *I have seen* which wasn't of some "obviously
safe" type, such as "after the landing Cessna, line up ..."
Old August 18th 04, 03:52 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Robert Briggs" wrote in message

AFAIK, our CAA doesn't approve of LAHSO, so I've not seen that form
of dual runway occupancy.

LAHSO involves operations on intersecting runways.