If this doesn't verify it...

Old October 14th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default If this doesn't verify it...

....I don't know what does. Despite sky-high new aircraft sales,
overall traffic is down -- way down.

Yet another data point: The $100 Hamburger website keeps track of the
number of new airport restaurants that have opened and the number
closed. According to today's announcement, so far this year only 17
new airport restaurants have sprung up - all across the country --
while 143 have closed.

This is scary. Although we've seen "blips" of activity this year,
overall we're still seeing way, way less air traffic than in past
years. The fact that so many on-field restaurants have locked their
doors bodes ill for all of us.

Get out there and fly, ladies and gents. Our infrastructure is
dissolving beneath our wings...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 14th 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BillyBob

Jay Honeck wrote:
[...]

Lawyers
The FAA
Gas Prices
Insurance companies

All are coming to together to destroy aviation

So Sad

I wish I could go back in a time machine to around 1925
Grab a Bi-Plane with an open canopy and no radio and just fly
Old October 14th 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I wish I could go back in a time machine to around 1925
Grab a Bi-Plane with an open canopy and no radio and just fly- Hide quoted text -

What's amazing is that you can still do precisely that -- even
today.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 14th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Conner

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
...I don't know what does. Despite sky-high new aircraft sales,
overall traffic is down -- way down.

Yet another data point: The $100 Hamburger website keeps track of the
number of new airport restaurants that have opened and the number
closed. According to today's announcement, so far this year only 17
new airport restaurants have sprung up - all across the country --
while 143 have closed.

This is scary. Although we've seen "blips" of activity this year,
overall we're still seeing way, way less air traffic than in past
years. The fact that so many on-field restaurants have locked their
doors bodes ill for all of us.

Get out there and fly, ladies and gents. Our infrastructure is
dissolving beneath our wings...

Yes, that it is an interesting data point. It is another way of looking at
the 2006 GAMA statistics which show the number of pilots decreasing each
year, while the average age is increasing.

Interestingly, the number of student pilots is remaining relatively
constant. I wonder if that means a sizable percentage of students are
foreign, or a sizable number of students drop out. Or both.

http://www.gama.aero/resources/statistics/index.php

Old October 15th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Airport restaurants do not "survive" on fly in customers..
the need the locals for survival...
so it is a restaurant that would have failed anyway..
granted.. in some areas.. the high cost of "airport footage rental space"
does not help..

BT

Old October 15th 07, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

I just read a sad story about the airport where I began as a fledgling
instructor. It floods more or less regularly when ever the Snohomish River
leaves its banks, and not only its expansion plans but its very existence is
threatened by a bevy of government agencies that don't know what to do about
it and are taking forever to decide. Meanwhile, the family that has owned
and nourished the place since forever is sending lawyer's kids to college
while they (the lawyers) joust with one another.

Bob Gardner

oups.com...

Old October 15th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

In article .com,
Jay Honeck wrote:

Get out there and fly, ladies and gents. Our infrastructure is
dissolving beneath our wings...

I flew down to Harris Ranch today for lunch and landed on the
freshly repaved runway. I took two non-pilots with me as well, to
help spread the gospel.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old October 15th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

I flew down to Harris Ranch today for lunch and landed on the
freshly repaved runway. I took two non-pilots with me as well, to
help spread the gospel.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Holy crap, I just got back from there not 30 minutes ago. Its a pretty
cool airport. Were you by any chance in a 172 without a back window?
There was an older 172 leaving just as we were about to shut it down
and fill up.

Theres an airport about 150 miles north of where I'm based called
Willows that I used to go to just about every night for a solid month.
Theres a really good cafe there that gets a lot of business. I just
counted in my logbook, and since August 1st, I've been there exactly
32 times. The reason it's so popular with the flight school I work at,
is because it's open 24 hours. Most other airport cafes in the area
have ridiculous hours like noon to 3:00PM Monday-Thursday. The only
time a plane is available long enough to fly there and back is during
the night, so it works out well. Oh, and the pie is the best in
California.

Old October 15th 07, 09:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

In article .com,
buttman wrote:

Holy crap, I just got back from there not 30 minutes ago. Its a pretty
cool airport. Were you by any chance in a 172 without a back window?
There was an older 172 leaving just as we were about to shut it down
and fill up.

Nope, I was in an Archer. Left Harris Ranch around 2pm.

Theres an airport about 150 miles north of where I'm based called
Willows that I used to go to just about every night for a solid month.

I'll have to check it out. It is 123.4nm due north for me, according
to AirNav.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old October 15th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Deadstick

Jay Honeck wrote:

Lawyers
The FAA
Gas Prices
Insurance companies

All are coming to together to destroy aviation

A healthy aviation industry benefits the insurance companies. The
insurance companies don't want to destroy aviation - we just want to
make a profit. If insurance rates are going up its because of poor
underwriting in the past, frivolous lawsuits or pilots making bad
decisions.