Shipping a glider from the Netherlands

Old May 22nd 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

Default Shipping a glider from the Netherlands

Anyone have any experience in shipping a glider out of the Netherlands
to the US (southern California)?
Company to use?
Cost?
How long did it take?
anything else?

many thanks in advance

Dan
WO
Old May 23rd 09, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 22, 8:42*am, Dan wrote:
Anyone have any experience in shipping a glider out of the Netherlands
to the US (southern California)?
Company to use?
Cost?
How long did it take?
anything else?

many thanks in advance

Dan
WO

Hi Dan,
I'm currently moving one from Germany to western Canada. Forty foot
sea container for about US$3500 door to door. You're about the same
distance but more of your move is on water, so your rate might be
slightly less. Kuehne + Nagel is the freight forwarder I used.
They'll also handle the brokerage for import for you for an extra
charge if you wish. I've dealt with them professionally off and on for
twenty odd years. They're quite reliable.
But make sure you shop around. If you're not shopping, and the
forwarder knows it, you'll pay more. Schenker, another well known
world wide forwarder, was close in price. Check out Danzas as well.
Gliders are duty free, and a simple import to do, so if you get all
your customs clearance quotes in the 75 to $150.00 range, talk to N.
G. Jensen brokers. They're pretty reasonable.
Duration depends on which port the forwarder uses. but the Netherlands
likely means Rotterdam or Amsterdam, and those two ports get some of
the most frequent ship sailings in Europe. So figure about a day to
three days to get to port and on a boat, up to 16 days at sea, two
days to discharge the ship, two to four to get through the container
terminal, and a day's transit to get to you. Total up to 24 days.
You don't say if this is a private sale or a new ship from a
manufacturer, but if it's a private sale you need to make sure export
packing of the container is included in the deal. You also either need
a dock to unload the container at, or make sure there's a flatbed with
a tilting hydraulic deck and winch that can unload the can onto the
ground and pick it up again.
Make sure you keep in touch with the forwarder so that you know when
the container will arrive. Some forwarders local truckers only give
you three hours to get it unloaded once they deliver it. Others might
give you three days. Detention rates can be up to $100/hour, so make
sure you know what the deal is before you commit.
Check with the forwarder for shipping insurance, and compare that with
whomever will insure the glider when you're flying it. Our forwarder
wasn't to bad but we still saved money with our insurer. Make sure
the insurance is door to door, and that you know what the deductible
is.
Also make sure that there are no exclusions for law of general average
claims while it's on the ship. That one is thankfully very rare these
days but can be brutally expensive if it happens.
Also check out what the import regulations for the glider trailer
are. In Canada, the darn trailer is the hardest piece to get
imported.
The U.S. may have similar regulations covering the Vehicle
Identification Number, certification of compliance with U.S.
standards, and certification of no outstanding recall notices. Check
with the FHWA.
All the best with your glider,
C.C. Sandy Stevenson

your move is on water which is cheaper. .
Old May 24th 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soarpilot

On May 22, 10:42*am, Dan wrote:
Anyone have any experience in shipping a glider out of the Netherlands
to the US (southern California)?
Company to use?
Cost?
How long did it take?
anything else?

many thanks in advance

Dan
WO

I just shipped on in this past March from England. I can provide the
following recommendations:

- You are not required to have a broker to clear customs by law, but
customs will likely tell you that you must have one. I did not
utilize a broker and spent only twenty minutes in customs but had to
ask for a supervisor. The clerk was attempting to force me to go
obtain broker services. If you do not use a broker, make sure you
have all your paperwork done and organized (shipping bills, paid
statements, DOT form(s), Bills of Sale, Serial Number IDs, etc.)
- When you measure the trailer for a Roll On Roll Off (if that is how
you are shipping), make sure your measurements are exact. They charge
for cubic foot, therfor the trailer tongue is charged the same space
as the body of the trailer. Have your seller meaure tonngue to tail.
- Have your ducks in a row concernint DOT requirements for trailer.
If it is an older trailer (I think 25 years) it does not need a
statement of DOT safety conformity. If it is newer, they will require
you to have a statement from MFG regarding safety conformity to US
standards. The trailer was the more complicated thing to clear
customs versus the sailplane.
- Remember you do not pay import taxes on either ship or trailer.
Don't let folks tell you otherwise.
- I can wholeheartedly NOT RECOMMEND UK Shippers / Wallenius
Wilhelmsen - they will lupcharge you until you bleed. Or then again
maybe they saw me coming so to speak.

Hope this helps a bit. Don't know where you are in the process, etc.
Good luck.

Tim Leslie
N102TL
Old May 26th 09, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AK

On May 22, 10:42*am, Dan wrote:
Anyone have any experience in shipping a glider out of the Netherlands
to the US (southern California)?
Company to use?
Cost?
How long did it take?
anything else?

many thanks in advance

Dan
WO

I shipped my glider and trailer from north western Germany on a RORO
ship that brings new Volkswagen cars to US. It was almost 2 years
ago. Price was around $2000 to RI port. Based on what I know shipping
prices are down now. In regards to a trailer, customs will not release
a trailer if you don’t have right documents. Despite the fact my
trailer had a plate stating it meets federal standards (originally
sold in US before taken to Europe) they wanted a document from the
manufacturer. In regards to a broker I recommend using one. You never
know what kind of run around customs officers will prepare for you if
you don’t have a broker. I deiced not to have one at first but then
because of trailer issues I hired a broker. It all depends what kind
of people you will be working with.