Nerd Challenge - Google TP map !

Old July 29th 05, 10:02 PM

Yeech ? Really now, its not like anyone suggested UDDI...
So Marc, are you man enough to take up the challenge ?

Old August 5th 05, 04:05 AM
john

Here's what it looks like when turnpoints are overlayed for where I fly
in eastern PA...clickable markers only work with Firefox and parsing of
XML turnpoint data is slow.

John "XJ"

http://home.comcast.net/~turnpointma...n/hilltown.htm

Again, we need to get an XML standard up onto Leibacher's site so the
scripts can pull from there.

Old August 5th 05, 08:40 PM
5Z

Very cool!

-Tom

Old August 6th 05, 03:03 AM
Bob Gibbons

Interesting.

Appears to work just fine with Internet Explorer v6.

Bob

Old August 6th 05, 03:41 PM

Very nice ! Agreed on the XML. I think the more recent perl toolkits
to do this actually work without too much pain (perl being John's
bludgeon of choice). Looks like another Nerd challenge is in order....
I'll check with John on the toolchains in use and post some
suggestions.
Best Regards, Dave

PS: For you nerds out there, the ILEC SN10 airspace "compiler" runs on
one of OF's servers as a SOAP service, and John's website submits
requests in order to prepare the SN10 "SUA enhanced" NDB files for
download. We implemented this a few years back and it was a bit
exciting, the tools are now more stable and interoperable.

Old August 6th 05, 10:23 PM
OF

Done (no credit here):
http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/TP/Goog...ooglemaps.html

Old August 7th 05, 04:14 PM
John Leibacher

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey ! Who're you calling a nerd ?

Objective: URL that shows task area geo-image overlaid with
Turn and Landing points.

Google released its API for mapping. See
http://www.google.com/apis/maps/
With a few lines of clever Javascript (ECMAscript, OK, whatever),
you can overlay your own data on top of the google-provided imagery.
Pizza establishments, homes for sale, suspected mafia safe-houses, etc.

So here's the challenge: With a few clever lines, grab the task
area information and list off John Leibacher's world-wide turnpoint
exchange, then overlay it on the google image, for a printable
area layout. Suitable for programming Charlie's string-computer.
And putting in your cockpit. And amazing your nerd friends
(Hey ! Stop that !).

Many thanks to Dave Nadler for the challenge and particularly to John Cotter
for the solution. I have implemented John's javascript for
all of the 750+ sites in the Turnpoint Exchange. For the US, Canada, and
the UK - where Google has roadmaps - the maps and satellite
views are overlaid, and they do a remarkably good job. Check out Uvalde -
http://soaring.aerobatics.ws/TP/Goog...ooglemaps.html - where
the start, finish, and turnpoint nicely line up on the runway. The info
displayed is the turnpoint name, and the number, ID, and ICAO where
available.

fly safely,

John Leibacher