New Butterfly Vario

Old February 18th 12, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default New Butterfly Vario

Tom,

Why do any gliders have gyro's at all?

Sean
Old February 18th 12, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Why do light sport aircraft have gyro's?

Why do NON IFR legal aircraft have gyro's? Why waste the money? Do they have to go to the FISDO and get letters do install them?

Why do soaring instrument manufacturers install gyro's and associated AH software in their products? Cause they are pretty?

With respect,

Sean
Old February 18th 12, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley

On Feb 17, 9:07*pm, Sean Fidler wrote:
Tom,

Why do any gliders have gyro's at all?

Sean

Sean,

I have never been in a glider with a gyro. All the gliders I have
owned, leased or raced have never had a gyro. Heck them dang 2-33's,
2-22's, TG3's never even had a battery. Wish I could help you, but I
just don't know. Sorry, can't suppy the answer. But I said I would be
of service. Hmmm, I recommend going to your local FAA GADO office,
they maybe willing to help you.

Or hey, talk with all the owners of the all the gliders that have
gyros, maybe they can help you with your question??? Have you asked
your father, he might have an answer for you??

I would be wasting your timing asking you to check at SSA contests. Oh
go ahead, heck, ask Hank or John, maybe Ken. The CD knows all, ask him
when your at the 15 Meter Nationals???

You flew with KS at Seminole last year, now Sean why don't you go ask
him!!!!!!!! Get another ride, help the US Team fund and he may be
able to tell you. Now thats a bang for your buck.

Oh, I don't feel we are bonded this close, so no need to tell me what
you found. Since your honest, I'll trust you'll be satisfied when you
find your answer.

Godspeed in your search.

Best, Tom.

Old February 18th 12, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Feb 17, 9:16*pm, Tom Kelley wrote:
[...]

By Golly Mr Tom,

Jeepers, I don't know you but I sure as heck like your down home,
folksy patronizing attitude towards ol Sean. Gosh, he sure did stir up
a gosh durn hornets nest by crackey!

Hey, here's an idea...............can you kinda tell me who all them
thar fellahs you mentioned in yer post are, you know, all the guys
who's first names ya used like all the rest of us un-washed and
unimportant folks are supposed to know by their first names? Oh, heck
Mr Tom, I'm just kiddin...............I know who they
are.............I'm just funnin' with ya cuz I know what a good sport
you are!

You keep on flyin' there Tom and keep kicking ol KS's ass in that
there fancy ship of yours!

Bye now!

Brad
Old February 18th 12, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley

On Feb 17, 10:53*pm, Brad wrote:
[...]

Brad- Hide quoted text -

Brad, no problem, come on by my trailer camp when we meet again. If
you wanta ad any names to help, no problem.

Have a special bewster waiting just for you. Pre-opened, little warm,
but it will help you with sort-hern drawl.

Have no fear, you'll fit right in with the rest of our trailer park
gang.

Oh, I might need a body guard, cause some of these folks I mention
already have their guns drawn on me. Now I just gave them a reason to
shoot my ass. Thats just fine, some are so old, they shake so bad,
I'll be safe.

Oh my, I went and done it again.

CYA...............#711.

Old February 18th 12, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 2/17/2012 8:07 PM, Sean Fidler wrote:
Tom,

Why do any gliders have gyro's at all?

40 years ago, almost nobody did, because they were expensive ($1000 for
an AH when gliders cost $20,000), drew an amp, and were big and heavy,
and most people didn't have a real use for it.

Now, they they are cheap ($500 when gliders cost $100,000), use very
little current, and are small and light, so even though people don't
have any greater use for it than 40 years ago, they like the look of it
and think it might help some day. Some power pilots seem to feel naked
without them, having had one for hundreds or thousands of hours in their
airplanes.

I used to have a gyro T&B in my panel, because I got it dirt cheap, and
it looked prettier than the empty hole in the panel. I thought, maybe
some day I'll get stupid or have some really bad luck, and maybe it
would help me descend through a wave cloud that closed in. I never
worried about being sucked into a cloud, though.

And some people use them to cloud fly, illegally and legally.

email me)
Old February 18th 12, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 2/17/2012 8:58 PM, Sean Fidler wrote:
Why do light sport aircraft have gyro's?

Dunno - pretty?

Why do NON IFR legal aircraft have gyro's? Why waste the money? Do
they have to go to the FISDO and get letters do install them?

Dunno - pretty? Lots of them probably just stick them in the panel if
the plane is experimentally registered no FSDO or letters involved.

Why do soaring instrument manufacturers install gyro's and associated
AH software in their products? Cause they are pretty?

As you can tell by now, I'm on board with the "pretty" idea! But also,
it's because it is so cheap and easy to add that feature when you have
all the sensors you need just to make a top end vario.

Same thing as cell phones - 15 years ago, they were just phones, but now
they add GPS, G sensors, magnetometers, MEMS for much less than that 15
year old cell phone cost to make. And so, we now have these amazing
sensor platforms in our pocket.

An AH in every instrument trend is very new - a couple years ago, they
weren't there.

email me)
Old February 18th 12, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

depends?
Old February 18th 12, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Oh my, I went and done it again.

Depends might help...........................now gol durnit, where did
I put that comma?

Brad
Old February 18th 12, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Chris, I'm going to try to analyze the height trace using the graphical
functions in Microsoft Excel. I'll look for a sudden increase in rate of
climb and make a guess from there. I might say in advance that I'm not
hopeful, but this should be a fun exercise.

Dan

BTW, I received your IGC files.

"Chris Nicholas" wrote in message
Dan, see your emails. Regards - Chris

Butterfly iGlide Reed von Gal Soaring 4 May 2nd 12 06:00 PM
WTB: 57mm Cambridge Vario/FS: 80mm Cambridge Vario ufmechanic Soaring 0 March 24th 09 05:31 PM
TE vario G.A. Seguin Soaring 8 June 8th 04 04:44 AM
WTB LD-200 Vario Romeo Delta Soaring 0 June 4th 04 03:08 PM