Operation without a transponder

Old September 13th 04, 05:24 PM
flyer

Default Operation without a transponder

I need to get a biannual transponder check. I would like to do it
October 1st instead of sometime near the end of September to get an
"extra" month the next time around. The FARs say that I can operate
without a transponder in the airspace where a Mode C transponder is
normally required by requesting an ATC deviation. I would fly the
aircraft with the transponder off, VFR, from Torrance, CA airport to
Hawthorne, CA airport, about 4 miles away where the pitot static and
transponder check is to be made. The pitot static test is not a
problem as it is only required to be current if the aircraft is to be
flown under IFR.

The FAR text regarding flight without an "operable" transponder is:
(d) ATC authorized deviations. Requests for ATC authorized
deviations
must be made to the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the
concerned
airspace within the time periods specified as follows:
(1) For operation of an aircraft with an operating transponder but
without
operating automatic pressure altitude reporting equipment having a
Mode C
capability, the request may be made at any time.
(2) For operation of an aircraft with an inoperative transponder
to the
airport of ultimate destination, including any intermediate stops,
or to
proceed to a place where suitable repairs can be made or both, the
request
may be made at any time.

I would be requesting under (d) (2). It I take off from Torrance
Airport that is Class C airspace, I guess that would be the immediate
ATC jusrisdiction. But I am also under the Class B airspace of LAX
where a transponder is also required. It it sufficient to get an O.K.
from Torrance tower?
Old September 13th 04, 05:50 PM
zatatime

On 13 Sep 2004 09:24:55 -0700, (flyer) wrote:

[...]

If you're really concerned with adhering to the letter of the law when
out of inspection for just one day, I'd call my local FSDO and get a
ferry permit. Then you can use the transponder during the flight, not
need a waiver, and be ok.

HTH.
Old September 13th 04, 08:51 PM
Peter Duniho

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 172...
I need to get a biannual transponder check.

Nope! You need a "24 month" transponder check.
Biannual means twice-a-year.

You need to get off that horse; it's a little too high. "Biannual" means
both twice a year, and biennial.

Old September 13th 04, 09:15 PM
rv9er

biannual or biennial
A biannual event happens twice a year: We make a biannual visit to the
in-laws: once at Christmas and again in the summer. A biennial event happens
every two years: The school was due for its biennial inspection. (A biennial
plant lasts two years.)

Old September 14th 04, 12:29 AM
rv9er

Peter,

I have not seen any other definition for biannual, but that would not
surprise me. I did quote from an online dictionary (see below). Biannual =
twice per year, Biennial = every 2 years. Does FAA wording refer to Biannual
or Biennial?

My source was:

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/d.../d0081646.html

Also, according to Webster's, biannual is twice a year:

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/biannual

MSN Encarta seems to support the same definition as above:
http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_18.../biannual.html

Old September 14th 04, 01:17 AM
Peter Clark

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:29:07 GMT, "rv9er" wrote:

. Does FAA wording refer to Biannual
or Biennial?

FAA wording in 91.413 is "24 calendar months".
Old September 14th 04, 02:53 AM
Bob Moore

"rv9er" wrote
I have not seen any other definition for biannual, but that would not
surprise me. I did quote from an online dictionary (see below).
Biannual = twice per year, Biennial = every 2 years. Does FAA wording
refer to Biannual or Biennial?

FAR states "within the preceding 24 calender months".

Bob Moore
Old September 14th 04, 03:42 AM
Judah

Specifically to prevent threads like the one we have just endured.

Bob Moore wrote in
72:

"rv9er" wrote