A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

LS6b and D (seperately) ittel FSG2T

Old July 20th 18, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan M
external usenet poster

Default LS6b and D (seperately) ittel FSG2T

I recently purchased an LS6B and was hoping for some assistance working the kinks out of it before flying.

The canopy comes up and cocks off to (I think) the left. I was told this can be "shimmed." Indeed there were two rather large "nuts" near the base of the canopy that appear to adjust this.

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me the proper procedure for fixing this. I was thinking dive head first into the cockpit, have someone close and lock the canopy and then turn the two nuts until they're tight? But are they supposed to be staked or locked down in some way? Is it supposed to be adjusted with the canopy closed? Are washers supposed to be inserted to give the nuts something to wedge into?

As a side note, the ship cane with a Dittel FSG71M. I had a somewhat newer, spare FSG2T laying around (that I've never used). The two radios should be 100% plug-in compatible but when I swapped radios, the microphone didn't appear to work at all (this was probably the microphone settings) and the external speaker was significantly quieter. Any idea why the speaker may have been quieter on the 2T than the 71M? I can't tell that there is any other adjustment besides the volume knob on the 2T.
Old July 20th 18, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 4:38:39 PM UTC-4, Dan M wrote:
I recently purchased an LS6B and was hoping for some assistance working the kinks out of it before flying.

The canopy comes up and cocks off to (I think) the left. I was told this can be "shimmed." Indeed there were two rather large "nuts" near the base of the canopy that appear to adjust this.

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me the proper procedure for fixing this. I was thinking dive head first into the cockpit, have someone close and lock the canopy and then turn the two nuts until they're tight? But are they supposed to be staked or locked down in some way? Is it supposed to be adjusted with the canopy closed? Are washers supposed to be inserted to give the nuts something to wedge into?

As a side note, the ship cane with a Dittel FSG71M. I had a somewhat newer, spare FSG2T laying around (that I've never used). The two radios should be 100% plug-in compatible but when I swapped radios, the microphone didn't appear to work at all (this was probably the microphone settings) and the external speaker was significantly quieter. Any idea why the speaker may have been quieter on the 2T than the 71M? I can't tell that there is any other adjustment besides the volume knob on the 2T.

If canopy closes and latches right I would suggest not messing with it.
From painful experience making one fit after repair in the area.
UH
Old July 20th 18, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Ummmm.....yeah, if it latches fairly easily, don't mess with it.
If this is your biggest issue in Soaring life, maybe someone will link on how to make it better,
Old July 20th 18, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan M
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 4:48:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 4:38:39 PM UTC-4, Dan M wrote:

If canopy closes and latches right I would suggest not messing with it.
From painful experience making one fit after repair in the area.
UH

Could you elaborate on the concern? I had a friend hold the canopy mostly centered and just tightened one of the nuts by hand and it appeared to noticeably improve. It seemed like a proper repair should be pretty easy/straightforward.
Old July 20th 18, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

I recommend you make precision templates of the left wing, then compare them to the right wing. That will give you something to worry about besides a minor asymmetry in canopy opening.

Or you could just fly and enjoy a ship that goes like stink and flies straight as an arrow despite its somewhat artisanal character.

--Bob K.
Old July 21st 18, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]
external usenet poster

the LS-7WL I flew for a few seasons suffered from "fishing lure" syndrome: someone left the canopy open on a windy day and by the time they realized the mistake it was wobbling in the breeze like a Dick Knight spoon. it did require some adjustments to the mounting hardware to realign with the latching pins. never was back to original condition, but it was/is manageable. keep those canopies CLOSED when you are away from the aircraft.
Old July 21st 18, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I keep wedge of soft foam rubber in the glider to help damp the "fishing lure" tendency. When I am rigging or doing stuff in the cockpit I wedge the foam between the forward canopy frame edge and the cockpit front coaming. Really helps in light to moderate breeze. In strong wind, the canopy is either closed or my hand is holding on to it.

Nice Dick Knight spoon reference Brad, but the Mepps Flying C spinner might be a more descriptive comparison should the canopy depart from the glider.

RC