About the Governance of the Soaring Society of America

Old December 18th 18, 07:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default About the Governance of the Soaring Society of America

It's been brought to my attention that some members have asked where they might find documentation relating to the governance of the SSA (on its website). I hope this sheds some light and puts to rest any notion the SSA is not transparent. As the Director of Region 6 it is my opinion that the SSA is largely transparent about its funding and expenditures. This I believe is a testament to its past and present leadership, the organization's Executive Committee, Phil Umphres, and its Chairman, Ken Sorenson.

While one may rightfully critisize the organization's website and user experience, the organization's financial statements are available to the public for anyone to see and download in .PDF format. See: https://www.ssa.org/BudgetAndFinance

Additionally, the organization's Board Meeting agendas, Board Meeting minutes, and Executive Committee meeting minutes are available too.

See: https://www.ssa.org/BoardReports.asp (Board Minutes and Executive Committee Minutes)

See also: https://www.ssa.org/Bluebooks (Board Meeting Agenda and Volunteer Committee Reports)

Members may also access information about the SSA Foundation. Here's a link to the page where you can click on and access the SSA Foundation's Financial Reports and Trustees' meeting minutes: https://www.ssa.org/Foundation?show=blog&id=3740

John Godfrey chairs the SSA Foundation and in my opinion has done an incredible job as the Chair of the foundation's independent Board of Trustees. I'm confident this entity will continue to preserve and grow the foundation's assets on behalf of the SSA and its membership.

Lastly, I can tell you Denise Layton and the staff at Hobbs do an amazing job of servicing our membership. If you have questions about something, please don't be afraid to call and ask. If you're considering making a donation to the SSA's Eagle Fund and want to know more about how those funds may be used or where the greatest need is, Denise and the staff can help you with that too. Likewise, your Regional Director provides you yet another line of communication to the organization's leadership and staff. Please know we're here to serve you and help preserve and grow this wonderful sport.

Sincerely,

Chris Schrader
SSA Director, Region 6

Old December 21st 18, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I will say, I became a "life member" many decades ago.
Way before "Al Gore" invented the Internet (US slam here......;-))

Sheesh.........did multiple posts before my browser allowed me to post......

Dang it........

I have kicked money to SSA since then since I became a life member based on what a yearly cost vs. when I thought I would drop out.
I want to keep the SSA going.
A modest contribution here and there later is cheap to keep them going......
Old December 21st 18, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

https://www.ssa.org/Join

It's not really all that hard.

T8
Old December 21st 18, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Its not that hard"

No but it is obscure. I have the same issue, most sites have a "renew" button to take you directly there, its usually right at the top maybe should be right next to the login button

CH
Old December 21st 18, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 1:30:16 PM UTC-6, wrote:
"Its not that hard"

No but it is obscure. I have the same issue, most sites have a "renew" button to take you directly there, its usually right at the top maybe should be right next to the login button

CH

SSA Home Page. Hover on "The SSA" Second item down is "Join the SSA". Step 1 is for Joining. Step 2 is for Renewing. It does say that you have to log in to be able to renew. Yep, there is not a "RENEW" or "JOIN" button on the homepage. But, it is just a hover away. And there is a checkbox so you can set it up to renew your membership automatically. So, there shouldn't be a need to "re-learn what you forgot from last year" if you are willing to check the box.

But then again, I have become adjusted to clicking here to go to the USA OLC Daily Score page shortly.

No system will ever be perfect in the eyes of all users. But when you have issues, please bring them up with the SSA or your Regional Director, or State Governor. We do listen to you if you will take time to tell us what you think, and we will keep trying to improve the organization.

Have a Merry Christmas,

Steve Leonard
Region 10 Director, SSA
Old December 21st 18, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 12:30:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:
"Its not that hard"

No but it is obscure. I have the same issue, most sites have a "renew" button to take you directly there, its usually right at the top maybe should be right next to the login button

CH

If you are logged into the SSA web site, the Join page presents as renewal options. If you are not logged in, it presents as a Join page.

So, yes, it can be a bit confusing.

Frank Whiteley
Old December 21st 18, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 2:08:05 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
https://www.ssa.org/Join

It's not really all that hard.

T8

"Please use this form for New Memberships only. If you wish to renew a membership please log into the SSA website first."
- and no further instructions.

From the home page, if you manage to find "join" in the drop-down menus, you get this: https://www.ssa.org/HowToJoin - where it says:
"Renew your membership online by clicking here [leads to the page you mentioned]. You must sign up as a new member, but in the instructions box, please advise you are renewing your membership. You can also call the SSA office to renew."

I rest my case.

Old December 21st 18, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

From the home page, if you manage to find "join" in the drop-down menus, you get this: https://www.ssa.org/HowToJoin - where it says:
"Renew your membership online by clicking here [leads to the page you mentioned]. You must sign up as a new member, but in the instructions box, please advise you are renewing your membership. You can also call the SSA office to renew."

I rest my case.

As I said before, "No system will be perfect in the eyes of all operators".

I am logged in. I hover on "The SSA" and select the "Join" drop down. I get a page that allows me to do one of two things:

Renew Full Membership
or
Renew Full Membership and sign up for automatic renewal

As with any website I have seen, if you are a member AND logged in, the options are tailored to what members want. Try it when logged in. It is set up this way so new members Join and existing members Renew.

If you have not created a login or have troubles, there is a button at the top right that can help you. It is called "Login Help".

In regard to the "no further instructions" comment. Would it be helpful to standardize the language so we don't have some places saying "Log In" and some saying "Sign In"? People like myself expect to see common verbiage and I will see what can be done about this. But the "Sign In" or "Log In" is the blue box top right on the page.

Steve Leonard
Region 10 Director, SSA
Old December 21st 18, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

From the home page, if you manage to find "join" in the drop-down menus, you get this: https://www.ssa.org/HowToJoin - where it says:
"Renew your membership online by clicking here [leads to the page you mentioned]. You must sign up as a new member, but in the instructions box, please advise you are renewing your membership. You can also call the SSA office to renew."

I rest my case.

It has its own great big icon on the SSA home page. Look again. Stay out of the drop down menus. Right side, sixth item down under Soaring Essentials.

T8
Old December 22nd 18, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

From the home page, if you manage to find "join" in the drop-down menus, you get this: https://www.ssa.org/HowToJoin - where it says:
[...]

By "no further instructions" I meant that it _only_ says "If you wish to renew a membership please log into the SSA website first." That does not explain what to do next. It could have said right the "After you login this page will look different and will include a renewal option." I tried that now, and indeed it leads to a renewal checkout. That is different from (and an improvement on) what it looked like when I renewed last year. But that contradicts what it still says in the first "join" page: [to renew] "You must sign up as a new member, but in the instructions box, please advise you are renewing your membership" - which is how it used to be done.